Please Critique My Three Jagermech Builds

6 replies to this topic

#1 Zeede

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2604e703b88a0f8

I wanted some lasers as a backup weapon, and I had to leave the legs a bit below max armor levels, as ideally I will be "hull down" sniping, hence I maximized the armor above the waist.

Really my only concern is that the mech is a bit on the slow side, and doesn't have an AMS.

Thoughts?

Here's the final version that I'm running, modified based on input from y'all:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d2e95d4511f2092

Edited by Zeede, 05 February 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#2 Oriius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

The armour level seems fine (you could even get away with dropping each leg to 46 and bumping the sides to 50, the sides are far more likely to be hit anyway). As for the speed I like the the XL 255 and use it on all of my current jager builds, your speed will be just fine in my experience.

As for AMS, smart use of cover will make up for that. (also in my experience LRMS don't seem to be all that common despite what i see people saying, i only really see ppc/ac builds, with the odd laser boat here and there)

As for the build, I would personally change the small lasers out for 2 ML's, I find SL's to be far too limited by their range, I think you'd get more damage from ML's in the long run.

I noticed you didn't pick double heat sinks there on smurfy, I assume that ya will be running with doubles since there is no reason not to. Ammo could be a little limited, but if you pick your shots well It should easily be enough. I'd say it's good to go. :(

Edited by Oriius, 01 February 2014 - 02:30 AM.

#3 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

I'd strip soem arm armor off, I always do on blackjacks and jagers. They can get away with it.

#4 FERAL TIGER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

First off, the K2 is a better mech for this purpose, since it has a smaller profile the gausses are in the torso, not the arms.

I never use SL's myself, would there be a damage improvement if you switched to MPLs? Only saying so because your play style with this should be to snipe, and use the lasers as a secondary to hit smalls or mediums that break through your teams line. Also, that is a ton of ammo. With your speed, profile and armor, it will be tough to last long enough to get those shots off.

As a final point, if you live by the gauss, you will die by the gauss. Jager arms aren't too difficult to hit, and when a gauss is destroyed it explodes for 20 damage (I think). Not only will this expose your side torso, but will deal damage to that XL engine...

... This kills the Jager.

#5 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Hmm, let's see...

Jagermech? Check.

/critique

#6 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

I run around with this JM6-S except that I have the 2x ML and 2t gauss ammo switched on a Firebrand. The low arm armour does tend to shake a Gauss off from time to time, but the XL280 gives improved movement speed I find useful/required (you can deal with lights at short range). So far the number of deaths due to the Gauss explosion has been quite small; if the arm gets blown off you usually walk away with reduced torso health and one Gauss riffle remaining.

I agree with FeralTiger that the Catapult K2 is better suited and more dangerous in this role (2 tons of additional ammo, more concentrated profile). However, the extra kills you can make due to the additional vertical range of your arms may be worth it. I often hit people who use JJs to avoid damage or hit people on maps like Alpine Peaks or Canyon Networks that you could not hit with the K2. Choices, choices... Both excel at being snipers: long range; pinpoint 30D hits, no optical track back to the K2/Jager.

I would not engage in a direct dual with the Gausspult (or any other Jager of good breeding :) )

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 02 February 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#7 Zeede

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Well, I played around with the other two Jagermech variants, and came up with this:

JM6-A (2x LRM 15, 2x AC/2, 2x MLas)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fbc2c41f892e09a

JM6-DD (2x AC/10, 2x MLas, AMS)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f8d2637c7a48e90

Now to grind some C-Bills!

Edited by Zeede, 05 February 2014 - 03:07 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users