27 replies to this topic

#1 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

so i decide that even though i HATE missiles i want to find a use for my [scrappy] Victor 9K - i leveled it up when gauss was still usable but when gauss went in the tank the 9K dropped right out of the rotation. so why not, i'l make an LRM boat with it and have some "fun" for a few games. bought a 500k LRM20 and a 6mil advanced target decay to get this [scritch] up and going again

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d307a9b6f916487

the 9K has 10/5 tubes so figure 2 salvos of 15 missiles is going to penetrate better than 10+5/5+5/5 with 2 lighter LRM15s

HOWEVER, i try every which way to make it so that the LRM20 is in the 10 tube and the LRM10 is in the 5 tube, and it just won't do it. so instead of a tight double blob of missiles, i get 4 salvos - 10+5/5/5/5

really?

EDIT: solution in post #22. yay!

Edited by JagdFlanker, 29 January 2014 - 03:15 PM.

#2 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:33 PM

Really

#3 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Really, really, really, really ...... oh and really.

#4 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, I don't like it either; you basically have to look at a site like Smurfy's to see the number of tubes you have.

#5 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Posted Image

#6 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 28 January 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

so i decide that even though i HATE missiles i want to find a use for my [scrappy] Victor 9K - i leveled it up when gauss was still usable but when gauss went in the tank the 9K dropped right out of the rotation. so why not, i'l make an LRM boat with it and have some "fun" for a few games. bought a 500k LRM20 and a 6mil advanced target decay to get this [scritch] up and going again

the 9K has 10/5 tubes so figure 2 salvos of 15 missiles is going to penetrate better than 10+5/5+5/5 with 2 lighter LRM15s

HOWEVER, i try every which way to make it so that the LRM20 is in the 10 tube and the LRM10 is in the 5 tube, and it just won't do it. so instead of a tight double blob of missiles, i get 4 salvos - 10+5/5/5/5

really?

A smarter course of action would have been to replace the GR with an AC10 and used SRMs since shooting LRMs out when you do not have the tubes for it, wastes your DPS and allows AMS to chew up more missiles.

#7 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

I think it depends on the missile stack within the mech. IIRC the 'top' missile will fire out of the top set of tubes and on down.

#8 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 28 January 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

A smarter course of action would have been to replace the GR with an AC10 and used SRMs since shooting LRMs out when you do not have the tubes for it, wastes your DPS and allows AMS to chew up more missiles.

i assure you that when i said "fun" i meant my K:D ratio was not a factor in this decision - i just wanted to sit back, relax, and land a carpet of LRM support with a mech totally ill suited for the job haha

View PostFoxfire, on 28 January 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

I think it depends on the missile stack within the mech. IIRC the 'top' missile will fire out of the top set of tubes and on down.

unfortunately it does not - i tried every which way to "trick" the missile rack into firing out the right tubes, but no matter what i did it put the LRM10 in the 15 tube slot and the LRM20 in the 5 tube slot

Edited by JagdFlanker, 28 January 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#9 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Ah.. they must have changed it then... which is sad. I know there used to be a determination of which weapon goes into which slot.. For example, with the Jaegermech ballistic slots. Not sure why they would change that.

#10 Krinkov

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

The only fix I have seen is to sell all of your lrm20 launchers. Then you add just the lrm20 and save/buy it. Next you put the launcher you want as number two in.

#11 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

There have been rumours that you can force them to stack in the intended order by selling off all stock you have of LRM launchers (including the ones currently installed) and re-buy only one of each in the intended order/location. I've been unable.unwilling to verify, but if your stock on-hand of LRM launchers is relatively low it may be worth a shot.

#12 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

View PostKrinkov, on 28 January 2014 - 06:54 PM, said:

The only fix I have seen is to sell all of your lrm20 launchers. Then you add just the lrm20 and save/buy it. Next you put the launcher you want as number two in.

tried near the same thing - it doesn't matter what you do. as soon as you save it, it "reorganizes" all the mechs slots so the LRM10 is always placed before the LRM20

to be honest, i have no idea why they have missile tubes in the first place. i have no limit as to what i can put on any ballistic or energy slot so why are there limits on missile slots when missiles stink in the first place? they spread damage everywhere and they take a decent amount of skill to place a good % of your ammo on target compared to direct fire - if i sacrifice 10 tons on my mech fpr an LRM20 then it should either the full volley of 20 missiles or at worst 2 volleys of 10

View PostRedshift2k5, on 28 January 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

There have been rumours that you can force them to stack in the intended order by selling off all stock you have of LRM launchers (including the ones currently installed) and re-buy only one of each in the intended order/location. I've been unable.unwilling to verify, but if your stock on-hand of LRM launchers is relatively low it may be worth a shot.

in stock LRMs? if they'r installed on another mech they 'don't count'?

#13 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 28 January 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

Heard that same thing, also worth to notice he said the LRM 20 is brand new so on theory the issue is with the LRM 10 (probably some leftover from any stock config) and no need to sell the LRM 20.

#14 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostJagdFlanker, on 28 January 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

in stock LRMs? if they'r installed on another mech they 'don't count'?

A quick explanation.

Somehow sometimes the game screws up and saves some weapons (more noticeable on Missile launchers) with a preconfigured order giving priority to launchers whose origen it's not the shop but a brand new mech stock config.

example you buy Cat with 2x Lrm 10 and remove them but you keep them for future use in different chassis, the game then keeps considering those 2x Lrm 10 as primary weapons, and when you try to mount them on a different mech the game for some unintended reason keeps pumping those 2x Lrm 10 at the highest spot on the *list* or mech section even above manually placed Launchers.

This is theorically the reason of the bug you suffer, and as some ppl claim the solution seems to be sell the affected launchers and buy brand new ones since you can't be sure wich launcher can be affected (if by example you had like 6x Lrm 10 on hangar taking dust)

#15 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

Why would you put lurms on a Victor anyhow, really not their forte...

#16 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:54 AM

PGI needs to really take a long, hard look at how LRMs and their tubes work.

So I have 10 tubes covering three missile hardpoints (e.g. on a CN9-A).
I can stuff 3xLRM-10 in there and fire 30 missiles per volley, but a single LRM-15 will fire in two volleys of 10+5.
I can fire 18 missiles at once from three SRM-6s, but that single LRM-15 will still fire in two volleys of 10+5

That is just plain bad programming.

If tubes should really have a meaning (and not just follow what launcher I put in, giving the 3xLRM-10 CN9-A 30 tubes and the 1xLRM-15 CN9-A 15 tubes), they should take number of launchers into account, not just number of missiles per launcher.

And then there's the related problem of placement; it's not just LRMs though, it's a general hardpoint problem (try ordering a SDH-2Hs three ballistic hardpoints with a MG, an AC/2, and an AC/5 and you'll get the same thing) - although it gets worse for LRMs since it runs into the stupid, stupid tube issue above when it decides it needs to force you to fire your LRM-20 out of a 5-tube launcher and your LRM-5 out of a 20-tube launcher.

#17 zztophat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:12 AM

View PostFoxfire, on 28 January 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

I use LRMs with an orion V, and in the mech lab my LRM20 is on the bottom while the LRM10 is on the top but in game the LRM20 uses the 20 tube upper hardpoint and the 10 uses the lower, 10 tube point.

I guess I got lucky.

#18 tayhimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 334 posts
  • LocationAn island

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:28 AM

really?

I would suggest you replace the LRM20 & LRM10 with 2 LRM15s. You will get salvos of 15/10/5 (1 less than before) and save a ton for extra ammo or another DHS. The smaller salvos will hit more accurately while the larger will ensure that you are also penetrating the AMS. In addition, your weapon reload times will be the same.

#19 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

really?

Welcome to like 6 months ago. :)

View Poststjobe, on 29 January 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

PGI needs to really take a long, hard look at how LRMs and their tubes work.

So I have 10 tubes covering three missile hardpoints (e.g. on a CN9-A).
I can stuff 3xLRM-10 in there and fire 30 missiles per volley, but a single LRM-15 will fire in two volleys of 10+5.
I can fire 18 missiles at once from three SRM-6s, but that single LRM-15 will still fire in two volleys of 10+5

That is just plain bad programming.

If tubes should really have a meaning (and not just follow what launcher I put in, giving the 3xLRM-10 CN9-A 30 tubes and the 1xLRM-15 CN9-A 15 tubes), they should take number of launchers into account, not just number of missiles per launcher.

And then there's the related problem of placement; it's not just LRMs though, it's a general hardpoint problem (try ordering a SDH-2Hs three ballistic hardpoints with a MG, an AC/2, and an AC/5 and you'll get the same thing) - although it gets worse for LRMs since it runs into the stupid, stupid tube issue above when it decides it needs to force you to fire your LRM-20 out of a 5-tube launcher and your LRM-5 out of a 20-tube launcher.

They really need to. It is fine that they limit the number of tubes per hard point, like they're doing. But, if I put one launcher in a location and I've still got tubes left, they need to join together. In otherwords, on the afore mentioned VTR-9S, it has 17 missile tubes. If I put in 3 LRM5s, then it is fine that they launch 5+5+2+2+1. But, if I put in an LRM15, they should fire in one bunch of 15 (i've got 2 tubes left over). At the very least, they need to fix the bug on many of the chassies where the LRM racks don't line up with the appropriate tubes like the OP mentioned.

#20 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 29 January 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

They really need to. It is fine that they limit the number of tubes per hard point, like they're doing. But, if I put one launcher in a location and I've still got tubes left, they need to join together. In otherwords, on the afore mentioned VTR-9S, it has 17 missile tubes. If I put in 3 LRM5s, then it is fine that they launch 5+5+2+2+1. But, if I put in an LRM15, they should fire in one bunch of 15 (i've got 2 tubes left over). At the very least, they need to fix the bug on many of the chassies where the LRM racks don't line up with the appropriate tubes like the OP mentioned.

The whole system with tubes limiting launchers is stupidly implemented (since it doesn't take number of launchers into account), and it doesn't get any better with the new geometry passes which show the actual number of tubes for the launcher you put in.

So if I have a 'mech that has had its pass, like the Griffin 1N, I can get anything from 2-20 tubes showing for the "drum launcher", and 2-10 tubes for each of the other hardpoints (and how do these behave with LRM-15 or LRM-20? Do they fire 10+5 and 10+10?).

But a 'mech that hasn't had its pass, like the CN9-A, has 10 tubes in the LT period, no matter if you have zero or three launchers behind it, and exhibit the seriously stupid behaviour I mentioned in my last post, where 3xLRM-10 fire 30 missiles out of 10 tubes in one volley, but a single LRM-15 needs two volleys to fire 10+5 missiles.

Edited by stjobe, 29 January 2014 - 08:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users