• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

^_^
Hello all,

well I reworked my old mate the 4SP and come up with the below. I have found him to be surprisingly effective.

The choice of PPC rather than ERPPC was delibarate as with EERPPC´s the temptation to use them in a brawl is too stong and you just endup over heating. Using plain old PPC´s You Know that they do sweet FA is the brawl and stick to the SRM´s.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cb137dbef9508c9

Please let me know what you think, I have my flame proof pants on :lol:

#2 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

XL in a hunchy sounds painful.

Shouldn't be a be problem if you are careful enough,have you tried large pulse lasers on that build?

Edited by Cookiemonter669, 05 July 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#3 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

No point, use the Shadowhawk-2K for PPC + srms. PPCs on opposite arms is just going to give you convergence issues leading targets.

Edited by Spheroid, 05 July 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:30 PM

So I took your build and did a bit more. There was half a ton to spare so I threw it in engine, though it could also have fully armored the legs instead.

I raised the cooling efficiency, kept your ammo, raised your armor a little bit.
SRM-4s may not pack the same punch, but their spread is tighter than SRM-6s with Artemis. The tonnage saved will keep you cooler, too.

#5 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 06 July 2014 - 02:37 AM

Cookiemonter669

yes the XL can be a pain but I have found that I die about 7 times being cored in my CT to 3 with one of the side torsos. Players have been conditioned to shot CT. It does happen, you just have to live with it :huh:. I will try the LPL and see what its like , a good idea thank you.

Spheroid

simply put I have all the Shadowhawks and don't like them, yes they are effective but prefer a hunchback,

Koniving

Thank you :( I will give your build a try and let you know how it does , thank you :(

#6 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

If you are going long range, maybe add some LRMs too :-)

HBK 4SP
2x PPC
2x LRM5
3x MLas
AMS
XL255

#7 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

XL engine on a Hunchback is very bad idea.
However,if you insist and like to have 2xPPC Hunch I'd advise to look at HBK-4P - you have enough medium lasers as a backup weapons,your PPC are placed on one side and at height of cockpit.This mean you'll have to expose only right side when shooting around a corner,or only hunch when sooting over a hill.

#8 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

I guess if you would want to run an XL in a Hunchie, the 4SP is the better one without a huge hunch. Then again I always end up losing one side torso and living quite a while unless I'm at the end of a match that is clearly going to finish with our team getting rolled. PPCs overall work a lot better mounted high on your mech to expose as little as possible when you peek and fire. The HBKs have notoriously low slung arms I would not use for that purpose. I like to use my almost extinct Dragon just for that purpose.

#9 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

Well, the XL in the 4SP isn't as bad as in the other really Hunched Hunchbacks with two hunches to shoot for. Still, I'd be more happy in this HBK-4SP if I had to drive the 4SP variant.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 07 July 2014 - 01:24 AM.

#10 Bromineberry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

HBK-4SP

2xPPC
3xML

:unsure:

XL on a Hunchie is like XL on an Atlas: Risky, and in 90% of the times not worth it...

Edited by Bromineberry, 07 July 2014 - 01:27 AM.

#11 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

Putting XL engine in the hunch-less 4SP is fine, the mech is a small target with well balanced hitboxes. His shield arms leave something to be desired, but it shouldn't be worse than other 45-55t mechs that use XL engines. It definitely isn't worse than XL engine in Blackjack.

However in Hunchback's case taking XL engine is not going to give you extra speed, only extra firepower, as the engine is capped at 275 rating. If you can't find a build that gains enough practical firepower to make up for its increased fragility, then it's not worth it.

#12 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

I've been running a 4P for a few weeks now, with an XL engine. If I lose my torso, I'm pretty much useless anyway, so I bring the guns.

I've been cored, legged, and headshotted, but I think the days of losing your hunch are all but over.

#13 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostPodex, on 08 July 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

I've been running a 4P for a few weeks now, with an XL engine. If I lose my torso, I'm pretty much useless anyway, so I bring the guns.

I've been cored, legged, and headshotted, but I think the days of losing your hunch are all but over.
That or you've learnt how to protect it better. (or the kiddies these days don't know to aim for the hunch?)

I lose my Hunch regularly enough, and I know that I shoot out Hunchies Hunches first when facing them almost every time.

The 'Hunchless' 4SP is the only one you'd really consider putting an XL in (though maybe with a Guass Rifle if you're intending on never seeing combat anyway...).

I'll have to try some of these builds out, as I'm not sure what to do with mine tbh. (Almost want to make it an LRM boat tbh)

#14 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostOvion, on 08 July 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

That or you've learnt how to protect it better. (or the kiddies these days don't know to aim for the hunch?)

I lose my Hunch regularly enough, and I know that I shoot out Hunchies Hunches first when facing them almost every time.

The 'Hunchless' 4SP is the only one you'd really consider putting an XL in (though maybe with a Guass Rifle if you're intending on never seeing combat anyway...).

I'll have to try some of these builds out, as I'm not sure what to do with mine tbh. (Almost want to make it an LRM boat tbh)

I do have a tendency to take more damage to my left half. If they don't know to aim for the hunch, DON'T TELL THEM! I like my hunch.

#15 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:05 PM

View PostPodex, on 08 July 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

One thing my buddy and I have done is to have me go first in a STD engine Hunchy. I draw fire, tank with the shoulder. He comes in with his HBK-4P with XL and delivers 9 MPL onto the target.

#16 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

I see no issues running the XL. You need as much firepower as possible and once a 4sp loses a side, they are useless anyways.

HBK-4SP
PPC for long range poke
SRM6 for the 90-270m alpha
2 MLs for ******* lights

#17 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

I still aim for the hunch ;)

#18 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Seriously, stay away from my hunch. It's sensitive.

#19 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

I would alter Konivings version with Ferro Armor and drop the XL 265 engine down to a 225 STD engine. Hunchback is one of these mechs, where you don't want to run a XL.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e33e2e5f08c9a61

Edited by Autobot9000, 10 July 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#20 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

View PostAutobot9000, on 10 July 2014 - 01:43 PM, said:

I would alter Konivings version with Ferro Armor and drop the XL 265 engine down to a 225 STD engine. Hunchback is one of these mechs, where you don't want to run a XL.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e33e2e5f08c9a61
Again, as above, the 4SP doesn't have the same issue as a regular Hunchback (massive, hard-to-miss Hunch on one ST), with 2 'shoulders' that are basically inline with the torso, mitigating the problems you normally have running an XL on a Hunchback. (i.e. - you die when someone looks at you).

Which is why the 4SP (decent, even hit boxes) and the Gauss Build (if you're in combat you've screwed up and are going to either die or be useless anyway) are the 2 times it's basically fine to run an XL on a Hunchback.

And dropping to a 225 means you go down to 73 (80) kph, over 86 (95) with the 265
Your build gains it 2 points of armour, goes slower, has worse heat efficiency, and really doesn't have enough extra durability to justify the negatives imo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users