1175 replies to this topic

#1 Elder Thorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:28 PM

Allright, here we are, the new and oh so awesome UI 2.0, the solver of all and everything that was wrong with the game arrived!

I am sorry, but i do actually something to complain about:

1.) I am not going to watch a 12 minute video to get used to a user interface, i needed less explenation that 12 minutes to get used to Eve Online's Neocom...

2.) Filters: While a good idea, i don't think they are completly fleshed out, first thing is. if i set it to owned and Champion, i see Mechs i do not actually own with a button to buy them. I don't want to buy one, i want to see mechs i allready own.
Next thing is, i set Filter to owned and assault and i see a trial mech, but i do not want to see a trial mech...

3.) Social: it is still a damn button? Why no chat windows? Public channels? IMO it is still to much "Work" to be done in order to get in touch with players.

4.) About getting in touch with players: i can't, because it says "Unable to send message to player." AWESOME!

5.) I can't see a Mech's loadout anymore? But I'd like to. Maybe i am not the smartest person, but i seriously can't remember all the loadouts i have on all the different mechs, so i have to open the configure thingy and guess what... this is really strange now.
edit: found it: in a tooltip. tbh, that takes to long IMO.

6.) i just tried to invite someone into my group, guess what? "Unable to invite user" Good job... (this happened after i was finished with this post, pleasy try and imagine a way more pissed of tone in the rest of the post, thank you)

7.) I actually like the ability to rename my mechs, this one is well done!

8.) I DO actually like VERY much, that you can configurate weapon groups in mechlab, this is just flat out awesome

All in all: Seems like a good course, but really needs a lot of improvement. IMO the way it is now, would have been worthy of late closed beta, so we could have fleshed it out together. Not sure if i want to invest more time in giving feedback as it is, you know.. i am not a tester anymore, i am a customer... at least IMO.

Edited by Elder Thorn, 04 February 2014 - 03:58 PM.

#2 Zvolimir the Blackhand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 388 posts
  • LocationThe Forbidden Zone

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

I've got some problems just after the first match.
  • Faction tags in the UI group interface show LoneWolf icons, but are still the proper faction in-game. Needs fixing.
  • Targeting is now bugged. Does not show target box or target information in game.
These probably need to be addressed ASAP.

#3 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

1. the new font has no soul. still better than comic sans

2. blue as ui color doesnt fit battletech. i believe orange/greenish/grayscale does

3. having to enable the gamemode you want to play every time you click play

4. when clicking a mech body part in loadout screen you should be able to see the boby part highlighted on the mech (or the others fade a bit)

Edited by mark v92, 04 February 2014 - 12:59 PM.

#4 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Horrible horrible DAMN HORRIBLE!
Save load out? NOOOOOO its CHECK OUT!
There is your XL255? Goh it's not my problem, i am UI, not engine searcher.
75 firepower? What a dweb, u mech need some 250 firepower. 10-20-35 - is too low.
And other... and other...

Edited by Mokou, 04 February 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#5 Ozric

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Leaps and bounds in the right direction with UI.2, but there are a few niggles from my perspective. Nothing that can't be easily fixed of course, and please don't take this as a QQ post. These are just my first impressions really, and I may well post again.

I agree that trial mechs showing up as Owned makes things confusing. They should be removed from this filter, or at least a check box to remove them (for more experienced players) should be added.

Modules are not immediately visible from the first tab of the mechbay. This feature should also be added, as it makes the mech selection process much smoother.

But what I was most looking forward to about UI.2 was the ability to organise my mechbay (prime mechs first, then secondary mechs, with no-engine never-use chassis at the back). This is currently impossible right? Did I just imagine that this option would become available, or will it be patched in at a later date?

Edit: In fact, I want to line my mechs up in a very particular order. Very particular...

Edited by Ozric, 04 February 2014 - 01:06 PM.

#6 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

Design oversight I'm sure, but there is no way of filtering between classes and chassis in the Battlemech store, and some mechs are jumbled up and out of place.Posted Image

#7 Superslicks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationAlton, hampshire, uk

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

Sorry but that's what I think at the moment,
Takes far to long to navigate, seems every time you click something you have to click again to confirm it, you hit play now and then you have chose what game mode you want to play, this happens every time you click play now, why?
it takes far to long to select consumables, The settings tab is to small and should be at the top of the screen,
And it gets really annoying being dumped into the Home screen every time a game ends, I want to be in my Mech Lab,
and when I log out of mech warrior I get asked if I'm sure, yes I'm sure its why I clicked the button
And then all that happens is I get dumped onto the logging screen, you then have to click to exit, and then you have to click to confirm, what ever kind off a time wasting game is this
regards
josh

#8 Daetrin Voltari

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Checkout. Checkoutcheckoutcheckoutcheckoutcheckout. What were you thinking? I am not spending MC. I am not spending C-bills. Why would anyone think a checkout button was a good way to SAVE A FRIGGEN MECH LOADOUT!!

Ok, I'm calm now.

I just spent 15 minutes on TS with a bunch of guys who couldn't figure out how to save a mech design because you made it look like your trying to buy premium time.

*golf clap*

Edited to say, I really do like the ability to rename mechs and configure your weapon groups in mechlab.

Edited by Daetrin Voltari, 04 February 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#9 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

I'll post as I think about them but immediately right off. I have an inventory to look at when I am selling items. Why cant I have that same flexibility when equipping engines. I had to look around for 5 minutes just looking for one engine.... Because I had to load each mech... lol

Edited by Saxie, 04 February 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#10 tucsonspeed6

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 408 posts

Ran into a few issues:

1: Started in testing grounds, and the screen showed "Connecting" with the normal cockpit view dimmed. Oddly, I could still play while the view was dimmed, but it was difficult. When I tried to leave the match, I could not click anything in the menu. Had to alt-tab out of the game and restart.

2: Restarted the game and froze up. I assume this is the known issue mentioned in the patch notes, but I thought it should be mentioned. I could not alt-tab out of the freeze and needed to reboot my computer.

3: My Grid Iron is showing as a champion. I was under the impression that it was a Hero, and did not see anything suggesting that there was a change.

#11 Spaismahn

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Ammo text on the loadout screen is hard to read. Bright yellow background with white text doesn't work well.

#12 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Reposting from my now closed thread:

I never really had the chance to test it, while it was in the test server, so here is my feedback and wishlist for the live version.

I'm playing with a multi-monitor setup at a 5760x1080 resolution. The mechlab now seems to run in the actual game resolution. This brings up some problems with usability.

Problem:
It's not really ergonomic, that I have buttons and functions spread out all over my three screens. There is the Options button in the far right lower corner. If I go into the options I have to go to the far left upper corner to make the adjustments I want to make.
Solution:
The Options button should be a part of the far left menue to keep it all in one place.

Problem:
This is in essence the same as the one above, just for other buttons that needs a better placement. The Purchase MC button and the Social button are on the center screen, far far away from from the cbill, MC, XP overview.
Solution:
Make it a fixed pixel distance between them, if the resolution is above regular (full-HD) values.

Problem:
Again, more or less the same as the two above. The Home, Mechlab, Skills, Faction, Store and Play Now tabs are in the center of the middle monitor, far away from the rest of the UI.
Solution:
I don't have one yet. I'm open for suggestions

Problem:
If I filter by owned mechs and do not own the trial mechs, they are still listed in their respective weight class.
Solution:
As the trials have their own tab in which they are listed, please let me chose to not display them.

Problem:
If I change the filter between owned and purchasable mechs the mechlab resets and I have to go to the section I wanted to select a new mech in again.
Solution:
Let the filter be set localy in the menue.

Problem (but a minor one (Edit - no longer minor)):
In such high multi-monitor setups, the right screen is more or less useless. It doesn't contain any data, only the Options button.
Edit - Ok, I found data displayed on the far right. The social data!
Solution:
You may think about one yourself. :angry:
Edit - Nope you may no longer do so... move the social data closer to the other data screens instead of attaching it to the lower right corner.

Problem:
Related to the above problem. while the friends list is attached to the lower right side of the screen the group is on the upper left.
Solution:
Bring both screens to the same side.
Or...
Include the group function in the primary friends list, so both are permanently visible, when the social function is active. Even if you are currently not part of a group.

Problem:
While the unowned trial mechs are listed in their respective weight category (no matter which filter is set), the owned hero mechs do not. They are only listed in the hero tab.
Solution:
List hero mechs in their weight class as well.

Problem:
No doubleclick functionality in the mechlab.
Solution:
Add doubleclick functionality to mechlab.

Problem:
Not much to see on the left screen besides the menus. Only a big gray mass of nothing
Solution:
Here you can really think about something for yourself.

Problem:
Map Loading Screen is massivly distorted and mostly unreadable in extra wide resolutions.
Solution:
Create loading screens that are adaptable to the used resolution instead of static pictures.

Problem:
After loading the training grounds, the UI got stuck in a loading cycle overlay. Everything else worked, but the overlay prevented me from clicking the leave meatch option. Had to search for a way out on the keayboard.
Solution:
Technical problem, nothing a design change could solve.

Problem:
If I log out, I want to leave the game, not login again. There are now to many clicks involved just to leave the game.
Solution:
Make me exit the game instantly instead of only logout.

Here is a screenshot of what I'm talking about (reduced in size):
http://i120.photobuc...00.gif~original

While the new UI looks fine it is pretty obvious that resolutions beyond the normal 16:9 / 16:10 / 4:3 were not taken into account or had a very low priority when creating the interface.

That's about all I found for now. I'll update this post as I find more.

Edit: BTW Destined... regarding your closing message for the other threads... My thread was a minute older then this one. :blink:

Edit 05. Febuary 2014:
Now that I think about... The whole UI 2.0 extra wide screen support is exactly like the cockpit was during closed and early open beta on such a monitor array. Just like you managed to place the cockpit HUD elements onto the center screen, you need to do the same with the UI 2.0 elements.

Edited by Egomane, 05 February 2014 - 02:03 PM.
added problem number 13

#13 Mad Elf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

I want to run Mechlab windowed, but the game full-screen, like I have been doing for the last more-than-a year, so I can see my TeamSpeak friends while setting up groups etc..

I want to turn off the stupid rollover noises in Mechlab, without turning off all sound effects in the game.

I would like to see a *list* of engines (and other components), ordered by size, not a grid.

I would like the representation of multi-slot items loaded in my mech to look like a single item, not a pile of separate ones. (Especially bad are the "in-engine optional heat sinks".)

I would like to not have trial Mech's presented as "available to buy" when I've set my filter to "Owned".

Modules are a pain to find.

Why is the "social" button the only one that doesn't have text?

I'm sure that more problems will show up, these are just the ones I found in the first 10 minutes.

#14 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

I can no longer run with UI as a window and in-game as full screen. Could this be rectified in the Hot Fix please?

The GXP counter did not count down GXP as they were spent unlocking new modules.

The social button is unlabeled as such, its color blends it into the background of the UI, and really, it looks like it has been reduced to a footnote and no longer a key part of the game. Actually, it is even worse than that, the SETTINGS menu is clearly labeled AND larger than the social interface icon.

The new mech-lab is extremely sub-optimal.

Is there a way to see weapon/equipment hardpoint locations without purchasing a mech and doing a component-by-component search? If not, one would be appreciated.

A return to weapons being listed from left-to-right would likewise be appreciated rather than the way they are listed now with like-weapons being grouped together. If not, some indicator of where in the so-equipped mech they are located would be useful when it comes to setting weapon groups. I have to take all of my mechs in-game much like I used to because there is no indication of where the weapons are located.

Aside from the hyphen none of the special characters are available when re-naming mechs.

Owned mechs are those that I can change weapons, armor, engine, paint schemes, etc. on. I cannot do this with trail mechs even though they appear in he owned filter. Please rectify this.

Also, Phoenix-variant mechs are grouped with champion mechs yet should be receiving the C-bill bonus of hero mechs. This is confusing an needs to be changed.

Camo-Spec, I can see how the new color menu may be some improvement, but the pattern menu is not, I cannot find cost (and any indication of standard schemes vs premium) and the one-use menu looks like an MC trap for anyone just looking to get a new coat of paint.

The various components that are equipable take up far too much of the screen, and the need for a graphic is both repetitive and tedious to wade through. Further, the information players NEED to have, such as remaining tonnage, jump distance, armor and the like has been reduced, literally, to a footnote that can be difficult to read depending on screen setting and paint-job on current mech. The current armor points especially is poor due to a background graphic.

Having to page through eight different component location tabs, each with two-five different component type tabs is needlessly repetitive and confusing. There is no way to get an instant overall view of your mech that tells you what weapons are in it, etc. And paging through each tab takes up far more time than when I could click on a location on the mech and see what is in it.

There are now too many modules. With the release of tier 1 weapon modules the number of modules that can be equipped has just doubled in an eyeblink. Many of them are of incremental value that is so low as to be practically meaningless and only serve to create additional clutter. Also, as the majority of mechs have only three module slots, this release I feel is at the point of being presented with far too much choice and little understanding of how it will affect my gameplay, far too much variation to adequately test in a reasonable time-frame, and weapons that I am familiar with using, such as Ultra-5 AC and gauss do not have new modules.

I do like how my mechs are now lit when I am looking at colors/camo patterns.

Edited by Kael 17, 04 February 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#15 Orcish Librarian

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

With all due respect PGI - are you on crack?

#16 X O

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

Buying a new Mech:

1. It would be nice, if we can see an summary like in the old UI. Now you need to guess what comes with the new mech.

2. Filters to easy find my new mech, like weight groups (light medium and so on) and the type (standard, hero, champion)

Misc:

1. If I klick on Exit, the hole MW:O schould be closed. Now I need two extra clicks to close all.

#17 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

Whatever the style, a good UI needs to be easy to read and navigate. The new, thin font is harder to read than the previous one. The lack of UI scaling in the mechlab leads to a major tiny letters on big screen issue once you go over 1920x1200. There should be either automatic, or selectable UI size and font modifications according to the resolution used. The current version looks pretty bad on a 30 inch monitor (2560x1600 native). Notice how small the text and buttons are vs the screen size: http://imageshack.co...6/4712/alp3.jpg

Edited by Modo44, 04 February 2014 - 01:18 PM.

#18 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostElder Thorn, on 04 February 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

4.) About getting in touch with players: i can't, because it says "Unable to send message to player." AWESOME!

My fault :angry: This will get hotfixed soon. What's happening is logins to the website are showing players as online in-game, but the system currently doesn't handle push messages to web, hence the 'Unable to send' message. The hotfix will remove website logins from displaying as online.

#19 Fabian Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Need an option to select battle modes not just one so you can unselect one battle mode

#20 Elaxter

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 54 posts
  • LocationEverywhere.

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

If you go to the mechlab and click on Filter at the top, you can go to Purchasable and will sort out all the mechs that can be bought.

-1 problem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users