Stop Attacking On River City

25 replies to this topic

#1 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:38 AM

Especially if at least 1 person on your team doesn't commit to the push.

Whichever team that attacks first loses, cause you're pushing into 12 mechs AND turrets.

Or just ignore what I said and charge in. Cause screw tactical advantage.

P.S. To the inevitable people who are going to post "But it's called Assault, you noob!!!" Read the sentence before this one.

#2 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:29 AM

CampWarrior: Online.

But, your logic is sound. In real life, where dying is final, sure. In this game, where all that happens is your KDR takes a tiny hit, you may as well get stuck in.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

There's some new tricks to dealing with River City.

For example my first time I noticed an enemy Jenner playing the role of a spotter. He ran into the water, went behind the frigate, and pointed out a turret. The turret couldn't hit him (LRM turret). Enemy LRMs bombarded the living heck out of that turret and it died raised out of its shell because the Jenner was within 450 meters. We lost that turret. Later on, an ECM Atlas, a Stalker, and two mediums pushed the center river (the assaults) and the upper city (the mediums) and converged. The assaults kept everyone busy while the mediums engaged the turrets by slipping within 450 meters (activating the turrets) and then slipping outside of 450 meters (causing the turrets to be unable to fight back) and blasted them before they could close as apparently there's a delay to closing.

Turrets unfortunately are very easy to deal with. They're slow to open and close and have delayed reaction times. While opening and closing you can shred them before they can even fire.

This was the first third of that match. Sadly I ran out of hard drive space during it (I gloriously killed the stalker while under brawling range and fighting with the Atlas after it killed my team's Atlas).

#4 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:56 AM

I have not been on River city assault yet, but from the many time on Crimson Straits in assault one thing is clear. It forces engaging the turrets. Twice I got up on the mountain with a LRM Griffon and just pummeled the other team going through the gap and since they were engaging the turrets first then our team since I was acting as a spotter or to flank if they set up on top of the loading area by the ship. I had a few kills, shot all my ammo, but these turrets forced them to react. Then in another game we just rolled right through the other team and had one left to find, so two went on a hunting expedition and the rest of us were taking out the turrets, the LRM one covering the Island was interesting since i was in a Catapult and when I would go to target it, I was not getting a box, just the red circle. The TAG was hitting it, but it just did not seem right. Well before we could get to cap they found him. This LRM turret was engaging me over 600 m away and at first I thought it was a mech.

River City with how much smaller it is, I do not know if it has six turrets, but it would be fun too see. If the LRM turrets engage at long distances that is half the map.

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 09 February 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#5 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 08 February 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

Especially if at least 1 person on your team doesn't commit to the push.

Whichever team that attacks first loses, cause you're pushing into 12 mechs AND turrets.

Or just ignore what I said and charge in. Cause screw tactical advantage.

P.S. To the inevitable people who are going to post "But it's called Assault, you noob!!!" Read the sentence before this one.

So the team that managed to snipe a kill wins when the timer runs out?

Don't get me wrong, you are absolutely correct that waiting till the other team flinches is a great idea because it's almost a given someone will charge. But if it's your team then you lose either way.

It's boring to sit around and wait out the timer. Right now when nothing but XP/C-bills on the line, I would rather lose quickly than sit around and hope for a win. Once planets/LP are at stake, then wins will be more important and I would be willing to hunker down and wait it out.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

The timer is overpowered! It must go! O_O!

*Random all the things meme.* Remove all the timers!

:) :ph34r:

#7 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

My first impressions are that the turrets are much more a psychological rather than practical advantage. But since I only seem to get a turret map every 30 drops, I could be mistaken.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Depends on the map. Crimson Strait the turrets are pretty far away and either half the team is already dead or the turrets are engaged alone while the team was elsewhere.

River City, the turrets are tightly packed and work together (to some extent). This and the very small map means the turrets and players will fight together against an invading force.

#9 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

View PostKoniving, on 08 February 2014 - 06:41 AM, said:

Sadly I ran out of hard drive space during it

What? People still run out of hard drive space? Seriously? :ph34r:

j/k You must make a ... lot ... of vids. :)

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

View PostBagheera, on 08 February 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

j/k You must make a ... lot ... of vids. :D

3 minutes and 13 seconds consumes an average of 3.90 gigabytes. Of course, not every recording goes up on youtube. Also, lately I've begun doing quite a bit of work into adding music, ambiance, and little things to try and stand apart from others. I got a 500 gig HD dedicated to it. Used to have a Solid State considering everyone is like "have it be your cache," well if it can be cache it can frequently write and delete without a problem right? ....Wrong. So yeah that fried.

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 February 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

3 minutes and 13 seconds consumes an average of 3.90 gigabytes. Of course, not every recording goes up on youtube. Also, lately I've begun doing quite a bit of work into adding music, ambiance, and little things to try and stand apart from others. I got a 500 gig HD dedicated to it. Used to have a Solid State considering everyone is like "have it be your cache," well if it can be cache it can frequently write and delete without a problem right? ....Wrong. So yeah that fried.

God, I feel for you man. Especially with that SSD burn.

I honestly enjoy your forum posts and youtube vids. They have been very entertaining/informative. Sometimes at the same time.

Also, I think I should repeat what some of the numbers for the turrets are:

1- There are 2 kinds ML and LRM
2- They receive 90% reduction to damage when in "bunker" mode.
3- The ML turret fires 2 MLs with pinpoint accuracy and will target the weakest parts on the weakest mech within range.
4- The LRM turret fires 1 LRM 10 that has about 500M in range and a minimum range of 75M
5- They usually deploy at 540M if they can detect the enemy.
6- 2 maps have them now: Crimson Straight, and River City. 6 turrets in each.

Those are some of the more important pieces of information about them and how to handle them.

Hope that helps.

Also, OP's suggestion wasn't just hunker down and wait, it was don't continue charging if your teammates back off.

My recommendation, Sniper and FSU (Fire Support Unites) {both are typically long range builds} set ups will allow a team to take down the turrets and force the opposing team to engage or retreat into a corner. As long as you can keep your splat cats in check until the turrets are down and the enemy is freaking out, you can win the battle easy.

Another story from uncle IraqiWalker:
{this is an account of an engagement in River City where my team manged to deal with the turret problem correctly, skip if you are not interested}
Spoiler

Edited by IraqiWalker, 08 February 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#12 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

View PostKoniving, on 08 February 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

Depends on the map. Crimson Strait the turrets are pretty far away and either half the team is already dead or the turrets are engaged alone while the team was elsewhere.

River City, the turrets are tightly packed and work together (to some extent). This and the very small map means the turrets and players will fight together against an invading force.

Agreed. I think the Crimson Strait starting point to the right (on the lone island attached to the city nearer to the tunnel) has turrets too far spread, while the ones in the penisula are all in the middle, which are much more advantageous. The River City turrets are generally balanced, as they result in more defensive gameplay both sides. Crimson Strait only has one section with dependable turrets.

I was in Crimson Strait another day and two Spiders, a Battlemaster, and a DDC chose to try and cap our base. It literally took them 5 minutes to actually start bringing down the timer of the base, by that time they failed miserably to bring our forces off the front line (and took off 4 of theirs during the fight). This means that the turrets delayed them massively and resulted in a win on our side.

#13 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

You can attack on river city only issue is you need to do it in a way that give you an advantage. For example if enemy is spread out then group up and start rolling on end. If the enemy is in two groups then you can still use previous idea and attack the weaker one. Usually I find it more of take the center and it helps you turn which ever side you need. Not really attack just take and hold as your forces then push on the enemy's corner then.

But hey what do I know I am just one clown merc in a messed up mech world :D

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 08 February 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

God, I feel for you man. Especially with that SSD burn.

I honestly enjoy your forum posts and youtube vids. They have been very entertaining/informative. Sometimes at the same time.

Thank you. That SSD was able to put out a last video and at the time I thought was a bad convert not an impending permanent failure and transformation into an expensive paperweight.

Far as the tale, sooner or later I might try a twin PPC Firebrand or might even combine a PPC and AC with MGs and small lasers. And indeed, I find whenever I'm in a premade of more than 2 people, there's always a premade of some sort on the other side whether it's obvious or not.

In the mean time, this one is related because it's on assault on Crimson Strait. As one might see the turrets had no participation in the match unfortunately. But, it's a step outside of the norm by thinking outside of the box. Instead of a big rush into the center we had something else in mind. Sadly not everyone cooperated, but we made lemonade and would have won by total annihilation if not for the overpowered timer.

#15 xMEPHISTOx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 08 February 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

CampWarrior: Online.

Indeed...noticed that is happening a lot (a lot being the 4 times ive played em) on Crimson and River City w/assault mode. Many are just sitting back where they have the extra guns available and playing defense. Maybe the turrets were not such a good idea after all, as now everyone is content to just sit on their base and wait for the opponent to come to them and their turrets...boring.

#16 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 08 February 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Indeed...noticed that is happening a lot (a lot being the 4 times ive played em) on Crimson and River City w/assault mode. Many are just sitting back where they have the extra guns available and playing defense. Maybe the turrets were not such a good idea after all, as now everyone is content to just sit on their base and wait for the opponent to come to them and their turrets...boring.

I have never played a map that had turrets and players sat back, i will keep looking tho. Oh yea, he's right tho, you need to commit or else the team takes losses. I had to take command and lead my team to victory more than occasion on this map

#17 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

One thing I am wondering, now. How many armor points do the turrets have.

I nailed one with two alpha's from my jenner at 20 m or 60 points standing still just to try and it nailed me again after the second alpha. This was on River City when we were up 10 v 2. I also noticed the main fighting was in upper city going down hill, while me and two other mechs took pop shots at the other team to keep them on the other side of the river and importantly drew fire from the catapult, before I got one of the ears and he ran away.

#18 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

View PostDavers, on 08 February 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

My first impressions are that the turrets are much more a psychological rather than practical advantage. But since I only seem to get a turret map every 30 drops, I could be mistaken.

I have seen lights getting legged, people dying camping in LRM turret range (why???), and even the occassional assault dying from turrets.

I've even had games where the score was like 9-10 on the board, with assaults left on our side and medium/light on their's and the enemy team just trololol camped behind the turrets knowing we can't push in with just 2

They don't do a lot of damage. But they do ENOUGH. enough to make a difference.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

So, River City has become my new favorite map for the Triple Gauss Rifle Muromets.

If you're on MWO and want to tag together, you can find me around the time of this post.

#20 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 09 February 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

I have seen lights getting legged, people dying camping in LRM turret range (why???), and even the occassional assault dying from turrets.

I've even had games where the score was like 9-10 on the board, with assaults left on our side and medium/light on their's and the enemy team just trololol camped behind the turrets knowing we can't push in with just 2

They don't do a lot of damage. But they do ENOUGH. enough to make a difference.

The LRM turrets have a min range (90?) so you can neutralize them by getting close. They are slow to deploy so if you can get LOS before getting into range you can deal damage before either type can fire. Then pull back and take cover, rinse repeat.

Or charge in, focus fire and try to take them down while using cover....beats losing due to time out.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users