- - - - -

1St Person Only?

37 replies to this topic

#21 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 14 February 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

We already have a simplified version of this on the radar screen.
(...)
There should be no confusion at all, especially if there was a one-minute (hell, even 30-second) tutorial going over it.

Exactly, should. But the reality is that newbies have trouble, no matter how much you tell them they shouldn't "because it's all there". The simple fact that they have trouble is proof for a not good enough design. Nobody has a problem with complexity, but it doesn't mean it has to be complicated.

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 February 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

In short, 3rd person is absolutely and entirely unplayable as a primary view.

No it isn't. Just because it doesn't meet your expectations, doesn't mean it's unplayable. And it doesn't need to meet your expectations. Because it's not made for the pros, it's made for the newbies, and I'm pretty sure it helps them. You know why? Because when I started playing, the first thought I had was "ok how do I get an outside view, so I can actually SEE something?".

#22 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostDenolven, on 14 February 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Exactly, should. But the reality is that newbies have trouble, no matter how much you tell them they shouldn't "because it's all there". The simple fact that they have trouble is proof for a not good enough design. Nobody has a problem with complexity, but it doesn't mean it has to be complicated.

That's the problem right there. It's NOT complicated.

An average 12 year old should be able to figure out the "complexities" of having legs and torso that can be pointed in different directions, just from the cues on the compass and radar screen. Only press A or D, and the line moves. Only move the mouse, and the cone moves. Do both, and they both move independently. A tutorial shouldn't be necessary -- it should only be used as a confirmation that they had it figured out correctly already.

But no...

Today we have people who need to be led by the nose each and every step of the way. They don't want to have to LEARN how movement works, they want to be SHOWN how so they don't have to figure it out.

Games have gotten so damn simple that I don't remember the last time I read a manual or even a game guide. Around the time of Falcon 4.0 maybe?

#23 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

And ultimately, it's NOT complicated. A little tutorial would have been fine.

People have been playing MechWarrior games since 1989 and have figured out torso twist successfully since then. Are you saying people today are too dumb to figure it out if they're given a 5 minute tutorial?

No it isn't. Just because it doesn't meet your expectations, doesn't mean it's unplayable. And it doesn't need to meet your expectations. Because it's not made for the pros, it's made for the newbies, and I'm pretty sure it helps them. You know why? Because when I started playing, the first thought I had was "ok how do I get an outside view, so I can actually SEE something?".

It is an outright handicap to newbies though. Again, no radar. I honestly wish if they were going 3PV they went full out with it, but instead they tried to please everyone and pleased noone.

#24 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostJarek Kain, on 14 February 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

Was looking everywhere for the option, thanks for the help guys, going to have to find some 12 man groups.

Why? If it is so powerful, why do only newbies use it or want it? Anyone can flip flop between it, so again this is mostly e-peen and hysteria.

#25 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 14 February 2014 - 11:46 AM, said:

Why? If it is so powerful, why do only newbies use it or want it? Anyone can flip flop between it, so again this is mostly e-peen and hysteria.

Not a face palm big enough for how ignorant that statement is.

The argument is that 3PV will "help newbies." But they gimped it terribly to make it utterly useless for playing the game, hurting newbies. Newbies lose.

On the flip side of that is that 3PV also lets you see around corners, over hills, etc. You can line up shots that you could not possibly see without it, while being more or less invisible to the enemy except a blinking dot they can't shoot.

Practical example: The capture point on Caustic near the "pillar." You can stand at the cap point, position yourself to be out of view of both approaches, and then turn on 3PV and SEE both approaches. Nobody can ambush you because you can see twice as much as someone with even wide FOV enabled could see.

In other words all 3PV is good for is wall hacking, just like how the only thing arm lock in is good for is 100% perfect sniper convergence. PGI is really bad at putting in newbie features that actually benefit newbies.

Edited by Victor Morson, 14 February 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#26 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 14 February 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

It seems that not shutting down for sales hasn't actually been integrated yet

Om the upside: http://mwomercs.com/...xp-weekend-love

Double XP weekend!

sweet

#27 Davinelulinvega

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCorridan IV

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:23 PM

uhm, idk, but I have seen a tutorial and played a tutorial before making my first drop.

are they gone now or do people just not find them? :excl:

edit: btw my first impression was "how can I turn off 3PV, I can't see a thing" :)

Edited by Davinelulinvega, 14 February 2014 - 12:25 PM.

#28 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

View PostDavinelulinvega, on 14 February 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

uhm, idk, but I have seen a tutorial and played a tutorial before making my first drop.

are they gone now or do people just not find them? :excl:

edit: btw my first impression was "how can I turn off 3PV, I can't see a thing" :)

F4

#29 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 February 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

People have been playing MechWarrior games since 1989 and have figured out torso twist successfully since then. Are you saying people today are too dumb to figure it out if they're given a 5 minute tutorial?

No, I'm saying people nowadays are not willing to spend an hour just to figure out how the damn thing moves. You can keep saying "it's not complicated" all you want. Doesn't change the fact that it is. Everyone who has ever teached a newbie knows this. Everyone who saw someone play the game for the first time knows this.

(Wall of rambling about your assumptions about dumb/not dumb)
Spoiler

Why are you so mad about this one feature that you don't even use? Why do you have a problem to allow newbies to enter the game? You don't even acknowledge the existence of normal people it seems. This is a game, supposed to be fun, engaging, challenging. Not supposed to be some kind of entrance exam that you either study for or fail at even entering.

If you are willing to broaden your horizon on that matter, I recommend the book Design of Everyday Things. Here is a little excerpt:
Spoiler

Edited by Denolven, 14 February 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#30 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

Answer 1: It's odd they can, again, handle it just fine in games like Battlefield, Planetside, hell, ARMA, etc.. A MUCH harder thing for them to grasp is locational damage being so important and think just doing "% damage" matters.

Answer 2: Because it's a cheesy wallhack that screws new people over with missing information they should have.

#31 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

I don't know what they saw that led them to this conclusion, but for whatever reason, the new players they tested didn't realize that mechs work like tanks and instead thought they worked like people, maybe because mechs have arms and legs like people. They felt the best way to show movement would be a 3rd person camera. I agree that a proper tutorial would have been the way to go, but they probably didn't have the time or resources to do that. I doubt they do now.

#32 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

View PostDavinelulinvega, on 14 February 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

That would make you 1/1,000,000

Most people object to playing tutorials, even for games they haven't played yet.

That's why they don't even bother with manuals anymore.

#33 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Really should not need tutorials nor manuals to understand the torso/leg movements, it is very simple and anyone who has gamed (or moves their own body) should be able to figure it out in short time. The fact that 3pv helps in no way is making it more complicated than it has to be at the same time as it was a bold face lie to the promises they (pgi) had made in CB.
Now as there will surely be those who do struggle with it in the beginning I recommend more than anything to drop in training grounds to get acquainted with the movements and controls to not put your team at a disadvantage while learning in an actual match.
It is basic common sense really, the fact that this is such a issue shows the general lack of in the gaming community, and it is sad.

#34 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 February 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

Answer 1: It's odd they can, again, handle it just fine in games like Battlefield, Planetside, hell, ARMA, etc..

Actually it's not odd. Good design works on a subconscious level. That's the whole point of it. You don't have to learn anything, it simply works because you automatically do what is needed to do the task - you don't think about it, you do it.
As soon as you become aware of something that doesn't simply work, that's where the problem lies, because it forces your brain to actively spend a large amount of resources to figure out the magic trick. And if it is really bad, you won't even find out what is happening, and why this or that doesn't work, and you get frustrated over a supposedly simple thing.

Wherever you don't notice anything, the designer has done an excellent job. It's a bit sad that our work is never seen, but that's how it is. We are invisible guardians of happiness :)
The reason why the same people perform differently in different surroundings is because those surroundings are different. Design quality difference is one of the more likely possibilities.

Answer 2: (...) screws new people over with missing information they should have.

It might sound harsh, but they definitely should NOT have all information. In your first 2-3 games, all you need to know is how to get to your opponent (left, right, forward, backward - no more is needed), and how you can shove your lasers in other people's face (a single button - no more is needed). From there, things start to evolve. Info availability is important to advance once they are hooked, but overloading always scares people away.

If a newbie gets stuck on the very basics of what is essentially your game (moving and shooting), then you did it wrong. And that is exactly what happened to me and my 6 friends. One didn't even bother to start a second match.

#35 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 14 February 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

Really should not need tutorials nor manuals to understand the torso/leg movements, it is very simple

It is very simple for you, and for me, and for many others. Also, it's very confusing for many people. Just because I can write Java code doesn't mean everyone can do so easily. Just because hundreds of people have no problem doing astrophysics, doesn't mean it's easy or simple.
Don't assume you are average. You probably aren't (and in Victors case I'm very sure he isn't).

The fact that 3pv helps in no way (...)

Oh, then you can surely tell me what evidence this conclusion is based on. I prefer real data over opinions. How many newbies and first-game-players have you accompanied/watched? (people who played mech games before don't count).
I may very well be wrong here. But opinions alone are not going to convince me. I have too much experience in this field to blindly trust your assessment.

#36 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostDenolven, on 14 February 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

It is very simple for you, and for me, and for many others. Also, it's very confusing for many people. Just because I can write Java code doesn't mean everyone can do so easily. Just because hundreds of people have no problem doing astrophysics, doesn't mean it's easy or simple.
Don't assume you are average. You probably aren't (and in Victors case I'm very sure he isn't).

Fair enough, but we are not talking about astrophysics or coding...we are talking about movement of torso and legs which mocks our own bodies movements, it is a matter of common sense as I am going to assume that 98% of people understand how their torsos movement differs from that of their legs.
But hey, maybe I am giving the gaming populace to much credit in assuming this. :)

Edited by xMEPHISTOx, 14 February 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#37 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 February 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

Not a face palm big enough for how ignorant that statement is.

The argument is that 3PV will "help newbies." But they gimped it terribly to make it utterly useless for playing the game, hurting newbies. Newbies lose.

On the flip side of that is that 3PV also lets you see around corners, over hills, etc. You can line up shots that you could not possibly see without it, while being more or less invisible to the enemy except a blinking dot they can't shoot.

Practical example: The capture point on Caustic near the "pillar." You can stand at the cap point, position yourself to be out of view of both approaches, and then turn on 3PV and SEE both approaches. Nobody can ambush you because you can see twice as much as someone with even wide FOV enabled could see.

In other words all 3PV is good for is wall hacking, just like how the only thing arm lock in is good for is 100% perfect sniper convergence. PGI is really bad at putting in newbie features that actually benefit newbies.

Umm yea. So what exactly did I get wrong? It's not that OP, or else you would see people other than newbs using it. Sure every once in a while someone uses it, but hey everyone has access to it.

Oh and it's easier to spot people using it than those that aren't.

So again, you run off at the mouth without thinking about what I said because you assume I am not as smart as you therefore I can't possibly be using sarcasm and implied meanings etc.

#38 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 14 February 2014 - 04:21 PM, said:

But hey, maybe I am giving the gaming populace to much credit in assuming this. :)

Well, it's hard to argue when you see loads and loads of newbies get stuck on the same things over and over again. It's pretty much a proof of how reality looks, both on the human end and on the game end.
And since I think the machine should bend to the human needs and not the other way around, I dare to say that MWOs usability sucks. I might change my mind when the game becomes sentient and asks me to stop dissing it :excl:

personal anecdote:
Spoiler

Edited by Denolven, 14 February 2014 - 05:19 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users