Base Defense Turrets And You, Don't Be That Guy...

49 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrnea Smurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

To begin this lets briefly update players on what has happened.

In the February 4th patch to the game, PGI added a new feature to the River City (day), and Crimson Straights maps in assault game mode: Base Defense Turrets.

The Turrets carry either LRMs or pairs of Medium Lasers.

The Turrets have 2 settings: closed or open.

The Turrets have 150 hit points.

When the Turrets are closed, they have a 99% damage mitigation/reduction on them, however they will not fire while closed.

When open the Turrets take all incoming damage at normal rates, and they fire with a fairly high degree of accuracy (especially the missiles, if only my LRM boats were as good with their volleys).

From what I've seen the turrets will open when someone either:

Stands on the base starting a base cap,

Or gets within 100 meters or so for over 10 seconds, even if they do not start a base cap.

If you shoot at the Turrets while closed, not only will you not do damage (you don't get damage points for shooting the turrets while closed - I had a Awesome pilot assert while he stood there blasting away that he was getting credit for each PPC blast, his end of mission dmg score was 20...) but your wasting ammo better used damaging the enemy (same fight, half the team stood around firing missiles and autocannons at the Defense Turrets in Crimson - mean while the other team walked through the tunnel and flanked us SUPRISE IDIOTS)

Now that we have covered the basics of the Turrets, lets get to the second half the the Topic title:

Don't be THAT guy...

Whatever you do, DON"T BE THAT GUY.

The Guy who sit in a Awesome overheating his 3 PPC build blasting away at a closed Defense Turret, arrogantly insisting that his shots are getting him massive damage totals to farm c-bill rewards with, yet his end of match score of damage done shows only 20 for the match. DON'T BE THAT GUY.

The Guy who in a real brilliant maneuver crosses the saddle in Crimson to the southern base and begins CAPPING IT IN HIS LOCUST and as half the team is trying to move for a flank to try and take the other team from behind, while the rest are sniping to keep them penned near the tunnel. Which serves to activate all those lovely LRM batteries to provide the anvil to the other teams pushing hammer. This genius of tactical planning then proceeds to tell everyone how lousy his team was, and why does the red team have so many LRM boats when he trys to cap anymore... DON'T BE THAT GUY.

#2 marepinta

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSpokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

lolol! awesome :lol:

#3 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Just a PSA, if you're an LRM 'mech, the turrets die so friggin' fast to LRM strikes once they pop up. Hang behind your team pushing into turret territory and play whack'a'mole and you'll utterly wreck them.

#4 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 February 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

Just a PSA, if you're an LRM 'mech, the turrets die so friggin' fast to LRM strikes once they pop up. Hang behind your team pushing into turret territory and play whack'a'mole and you'll utterly wreck them.

So - once turrets are on every map - would you be willing to admit there would then be a role for the assault LRM boat? :lol: (Stalker with 75 missiles should be able to take out a turret in 2 full volleys)

#5 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

View PostTyrnea Smurf, on 14 February 2014 - 01:49 AM, said:

To begin this lets briefly update players on what has happened.

Whatever you do, DON"T BE THAT GUY.

sounds like you lost the pug lotto a few times :lol:

#6 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

Some clarification:

You do damage to closed turrets... just at a 99% reduction.
Turrets activate when someone is in range (within 450m.)
Turrets cocoon when there is no one in range (within 450m)
LRM Turrets have minimum distance of 75m (not the standard 180m 'mechs have)
The turrets have an opening and closing animation.
During the opening, the turret takes damage as though it is still cocooned but will not fire.
During the closing, the turret takes full damage.

Current strategy: Send in a light to activate the turret, once it is open, the light retreats while everyone nails it during the closing animation.

#7 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Bahaha! Yep.

If I may add to this:

Don't be the team that sits around in the turret field expecting the turrets to give a massive boost to your team's firepower. The enemy may not be able to damage the turrets from more than 400meters out, but you have no "cocoon mode". Those PPCs and Gauss rifles and AC/5s and LRMs will kill you. No, your starting area doesn't have enough cover for 12 people to wait for the enemy to close in to turret range.

#8 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostPyrrho, on 14 February 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

Turrets cocoon when there is no one in range (within 450m)
*Turret used harden!

#9 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 14 February 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

So - once turrets are on every map - would you be willing to admit there would then be a role for the assault LRM boat? :lol: (Stalker with 75 missiles should be able to take out a turret in 2 full volleys)

Still no. I've been wrecking them in my Shadow Hawk 2D2 in 1.5 salvos consistently. :lol:

Of course, some bases are supposed to be coming with AMS in the future.

#10 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 February 2014 - 09:47 AM, said:

Still no. I've been wrecking them in my Shadow Hawk 2D2 in 1.5 salvos consistently. :lol:

Of course, some bases are supposed to be coming with AMS in the future.

Wait - if they have 150 hitpoints - how are you killing them so fast? I've seen your Shadowhawk build - you only have a total of LRM 30 - it should be taking you 4.6 salvos to deal that much damage. (admittedly - I haven't played against turrets yet) Do they really have 150 hitpoints?

#11 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 14 February 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

Wait - if they have 150 hitpoints - how are you killing them so fast? I've seen your Shadowhawk build - you only have a total of LRM 30 - it should be taking you 4.6 salvos to deal that much damage. (admittedly - I haven't played against turrets yet) Do they really have 150 hitpoints?

They do, but it is all one hitbox. Likely his LRMs aren't the only thing hitting them.

#12 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 14 February 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

For whatever reason, every single missile is impacting them dead on and they blink out after about 40 LRMs rather consistently. I don't know if it's the screwy way they're working or that 0.01 splash that isn't working on 'mechs is working on them, but LRMs absolutely waste turrets every time I've gotten on a map with them.

#13 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Whatever the armor is on those closed turrets, can I please have it on my Mech?

Edited by Appogee, 15 February 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#14 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 14 February 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

So - once turrets are on every map - would you be willing to admit there would then be a role for the assault LRM boat? ;) (Stalker with 75 missiles should be able to take out a turret in 2 full volleys)

I think the striker LRM type mechs like Shads, Griffins, and Cents do it better though, can wake the turret up, walk off range, fire LRMs sorta deal.

#15 mack sabbath

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Funniest thing I ever saw was the chat saying " DEFENSE TURRET has killed *****"

Talk about being "that guy?" LOL!

#16 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostTyrnea Smurf, on 14 February 2014 - 01:49 AM, said:

When the Turrets are closed, they have a 99% damage mitigation/reduction on them, however they will not fire while closed.

So, closed turrets are made of Spider armor?

#17 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

View PostClydewinder, on 15 February 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

So, closed turrets are made of Spider armor?

Incorrect, they have a shield that prevents them from actually taking damage at all. Spider armor + buggy radar (ECM) + Spider weapons are what is after it's awake (but then Spiders go down quickly when a few target it down, especially when it doesn't move...)

#18 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

View PostStevie Ray Vaughan, on 15 February 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Funniest thing I ever saw was the chat saying " DEFENSE TURRET has killed *****"

I've been killed by a Defense Turret. Granted, I was busy killing two other mechs at the time, but, yeah, I've been that guy. Really funny it was.

#19 mack sabbath

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

This guy died afk early in the match and dea;t 0 damage the entire drop before the turret blew out his head pan. :angry:

#20 Rayah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 801 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

View PostStevie Ray Vaughan, on 15 February 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Especially when there are only like two guys left on the enemy team... then it's just insulting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users