How To Deal With That Hiding Shut Down Mech

152 replies to this topic

#1 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

I was one of those new players who never bothered to read the Code of Conduct or the Griefing Post. I highly suggest you read them in their entirety.

If you are faced with a friendly mech shut down and hiding to prevent dying most notably in Skirmish mode, please, whatever you do, DO NOT give up his position in all chat. This is considered "Team Treason" and is a reportable offence against you. You can declare the friendly is hiding/afk/dc.

The correct course of action is to take a screenshot of the player and submit a ticket to Support and report the player for "Non-participation Abuse".

If you are on the enemy team, please help by checking with the dead players if the player is truly "non-participating". If he is, then submit a ticket as well.

#2 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

Until PGI fixes the Disco's not registering as dead then I most certainly will post their coordinates in all chat. It helps no-one to run around the map for sometimes the whole remainder of the game because of a disco sitting at it's spawn point...

If they're disconnected from the game it adds nothing to the gameplay value having to play marco-polo with someone who doesn't answer back.

Edited by Basskicker, 21 February 2014 - 10:10 PM.

#3 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

View PostBasskicker, on 21 February 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

Until PGI fixes the Disco's not registering as dead

Big difference between an unintentional DC and the other thing.

#4 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 21 February 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

I was one of those new players who never bothered to read the Code of Conduct or the Griefing Post. I highly suggest you read them in their entirety.

If you are faced with a friendly mech shut down and hiding to prevent dying most notably in Skirmish mode, please, whatever you do, DO NOT give up his position in all chat. This is considered "Team Treason" and is a reportable offence against you. You can declare the friendly is hiding/afk/dc.

The correct course of action is to take a screenshot of the player and submit a ticket to Support and report the player for "Non-participation Abuse".

If you are on the enemy team, please help by checking with the dead players if the player is truly "non-participating". If he is, then submit a ticket as well.

Just so you know, it is NOT a breach of the game rules for a mech to shut down and 'hide' if they have engaged or been active in the game.

It is a legitimate tactic for many builds (ie, ambush) and the timing of when it occurs does not change it's a valid option for any pilot.

There are counters to this tactic in the form of BAP.

If however they are sitting at the spawn point all game and not been involved (or show as a DC), then yes, they should be reported according to the normal T&C.

#5 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 21 February 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Just so you know, it is NOT a breach of the game rules for a mech to shut down and 'hide' if they have engaged or been active in the game.

It is a legitimate tactic for many builds (ie, ambush) and the timing of when it occurs does not change it's a valid option for any pilot.

If however they are sitting at the spawn point all game and not been involved (or show as a DC), then yes, they should be reported according to the normal T&C.

People are going in game shooting one person, running away and shutting down. I even told one guy:"hey, you know that is against code of conduct right?". He says:"no it's not I did some damage".

So I can go in a game, tickle someone with an ERLL, hide in the far corner of the map with ecm, and gain cbills/xp.

Honestly I think the entire shutdown mechanic should be removed. If you have some part of the game that is 9 times out of 10 used to screw everyone over it should be gone. I can live with it not helping me if it means not having to deal with all of the other nonsense. Yes bap counters it but, good luck running around an entire map to try and find them, especially when they do the usual thing and jump jet somewhere high. Plus you shouldn't have to waste tonnage just to deal with griefers. It's normally some ecm raven or spider with 15 damage done for the whole game.

#6 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 21 February 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

Big difference between an unintentional DC and the other thing.

True, an unintentional Dc is no one's fault. It's happened to me a few times and it's really frustrating. I was just trying to point out that nowhere in the Griefing Post does it say I can't give out the coordinates of a disconnected teammate as the OP states in his... OP.

With the seemingly rampant disconnects here lately, (probably exacerbated by the fact that discos do not register as dead anymore) when I launch my mech, more likely than not, there will be at least one disconnect, and more likely than not that mech will be the last man standing. Thus giving the winning team the reward of having to hunt the last guy down for 3+ minutes. Unless someone was to tell them that the guy is at Charlie Spawn at XYZ- 2256 3576.

Most of the time you're not going to be able to give accurate coordinates by the minimap, but there is a workaround... press F9... this will bring up your Fps and XYZ coordinates on the map. The XYZ coordinates will be correct even if the minimap says the guy is at d3-e4 convergence.

#7 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:08 PM

View PostBasskicker, on 21 February 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

Nowhere in the Griefing Post does it say I can't give out the coordinates of a disconnected teammate as the OP states in his... OP.

Perhaps because that should be common sense?

There have been dozens if not hundreds of threads on this subject - and PGI has made themselves quite clear several many times over.

If the person is still playing - they are still playing - if they are "playing" just to drag the time out, that can be considered griefing and should be dealt with through the proper channels - not in game.

If the person is no longer connected - then it isn't an issue.

#8 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

View PostRiotHero, on 21 February 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

People are going in game shooting one person, running away and shutting down. I even told one guy:"hey, you know that is against code of conduct right?". He says:"no it's not I did some damage".

So I can go in a game, tickle someone with an ERLL, hide in the far corner of the map with ecm, and gain cbills/xp.

Honestly I think the entire shutdown mechanic should be removed. If you have some part of the game that is 9 times out of 10 used to screw everyone over it should be gone. I can live with it not helping me if it means not having to deal with all of the other nonsense. Yes bap counters it but, good luck running around an entire map to try and find them, especially when they do the usual thing and jump jet somewhere high. Plus you shouldn't have to waste tonnage just to deal with griefers. It's normally some ecm raven or spider with 15 damage done for the whole game.

Well intheory yes. That's exactly right.

I wouldn't expect it happens that often but yes.

Shutting down is a legitimate tactic. It breaks missile locks for example. There are heaps of examples in Canon as well for it.

Bottom line is that some mechs / pilots prefer an ambush style, and thats OK within the rules of the game. Whether they do it 6 times a game or at 30 seconds in or at 12 minutes in, it's still a legitmate game. Heck some pilots take camo for exactly that tactic.

If you don't want to play a 15 minute game, then the options are assault and conquest, both have mechanics for shorter games.

But if you assume you know what another pilot is or isn't doing and post his location, it is a breach of the T&C and it's you who can be reported.

Just saying, thats all.

#9 SoHxPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 266 posts
  • LocationSleipnir Cameron

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

i am not sorry for giving the ass hats position away to the enemy. if they were on my team, have not received more than 10% damage and not actively ambushing or pop sniping, flanking, hitting the enemy, in others, doing what their mech is meant to do, or what is tactically appropriate for the last man standing in skirmish or assault, and powered down, his coords are given. this being team treason shit is dumb and not enforced because alot of folks would have been given counter action because of it by now. the ass hats that run because their team is down to wait till the end of the match and kill themselves dont receive punishment either. so, for now, give out his position and hope the enemy or your team has the JJ capable mechs that can find the *******.

#10 SoHxPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 21 February 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

There have been dozens if not hundreds of threads on this subject - and PGI has made themselves quite clear several many times over.

If the person is still playing - they are still playing - if they are "playing" just to drag the time out, that can be considered griefing and should be dealt with through the proper channels - not in game.

i would freaking love if the damn IGP/PGI SUPPORT team would do a damn thing about it.

i can list you 20+ players that have continually done this type of run/hide draw out the match and not fight/ambush etc. and havent received anything for it.

settling this shit in game has to happen because the system they have in place doesnt ******* work, just like the failed UI 2.0 launch we have been waiting on everything else for. this reporting system was thrown together with ducktape and is leaking badly. they have bigger issues to handle than the damn "griefers" and tattle tales.

handle it in game folks, or report it properly, or both for all i care, i know how i will handle it till the support team does something PERMANENT about it.

Edited by SoHxPaladin, 21 February 2014 - 11:27 PM.

#11 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:28 PM

If we could report people with a button instead of manually, 90% of these threads would disappear.

#12 SoHxPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:30 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 21 February 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

you will not and cannot sit and wait for the 12 minute ambush solo and win unless your team has done more than their fair share of the work.

it is not legit to sit there and not do anything, realize you wasted your time and not end it for everyone else.

ambush tactics work, but solo ambushes are pointless at teh end of the match when they are looking for you and you are beeing a douche

#13 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 21 February 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

You are right... and more so it seems you want to argue a point to another person that agrees with you...

The issue, as you put it, is the Op stating that it is a breach of the CoC to give away the position of someone who is disconnected.

View Postknightsljx, on 21 February 2014 - 10:00 PM, said:

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostBasskicker, on 21 February 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

The issue, as I put it

FTFY

Don't like it?
Talk to support. AGAIN.

I told you, what they told me, and what they have posted in every single one of these threads.

View PostSoHxPaladin, on 21 February 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

you will not and cannot sit and wait for the 12 minute ambush solo and win unless your team has done more than their fair share of the work.

it is not legit to sit there and not do anything, realize you wasted your time and not end it for everyone else.

ambush tactics work, but solo ambushes are pointless at teh end of the match when they are looking for you and you are beeing a douche

Then drop early.

Only thing you lose out on is what you haven't earned up to that point.
In other words: that one guys points worth of garbage.

Rest well people, I'm out of this.

#15 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:55 PM

View PostSoHxPaladin, on 21 February 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

Regardless of what you assume to know about what that last pilot is thinking, I'm just trying to help you by pointing to what what the rules are.

And the rules are that as long a a player enages in the spirit of the game, he can at any time shut down. It is a legitimate tactic.

If you then broadcast his position, you're the one breaching the T&C.

I'm sorry if you don't like it or have an opinion otherwise, but thats what you signed up for.

You might think he is being a douche, he might be thinking he is trying to pull off the biggest solo comeback ever.

If you don't like it, don't play skirmish mode, its really straight forward. The check box is there when you press launch.

#16 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:18 AM

Internet can suck, so I'd say treat with a pinch of salt.

#17 mikelovskij

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:46 AM

1- add an in-game report system
2- add a surrender vote system that requires an agreement of the 66% or 75% of the still connected players to surrender a game.
3- profit.

(or maybe add an "assault style" capture point but much slower and that resets if someone deals damage to anyone. )

#18 Parappaman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

View Postmikelovskij, on 22 February 2014 - 01:46 AM, said:

2- add a surrender vote system that requires an agreement of the 66% or 75% of the still connected players to surrender a game.
3- profit.

(or maybe add an "assault style" capture point but much slower and that resets if someone deals damage to anyone. )

Posted Image

Until then, I will report the *****'s position to the enemy team, because I feel like the shut down idiot is kidnapping my mech by preventing me from using it in another match.

#19 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:02 AM

View PostParappaman, on 22 February 2014 - 01:58 AM, said:

Posted Image

Until then, I will report the *****'s position to the enemy team, because I feel like the shut down idiot is kidnapping my mech by preventing me from using it in another match.

Sure, but at least now you know you're the one breaching the T&C and so if someone else reports you then you accept the responsibilty yourself, what ever it may be.

:P

#20 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:36 AM

View Postmikelovskij, on 22 February 2014 - 01:46 AM, said:

3- profit.

2 is a bad idea as most dying people log out. I managed to kill the last 3 enemy mechs (2 fire starters and something else) last night on my own in my SHD-2H. It came down to a single mistake from both firestarters and some nifty guesswork to take advantage of it. Your method would have robbed me and my team of that.

On the other hand - no guilt over giving away a team mate that has spent most of the match deliberately shut down. Pond scum....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users