53 replies to this topic

#1 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new here but I have been a Battletech/Mechwarrior gamer since playing with cardboard cutouts and Mech Warrior RPG (pen and paper) in the 1980s and then many of the video games. I even played a 2D RPG back on my Commodore 64 (Crescent Hawk something or other? Amazingly good at the time.)! So I'm stoked about MWO. I just installed Windows via Boot Camp on my iMac so I can play and am running the downloader now. On to my question...

I'm sure this has been discussed but when I searched for answers on Google I didn't find exactly what I was looking for or old stuff that was speculative about a not yet released Mech Warrior Online. So please answer or discuss concerning best controls?

I played MW 2, 3 and 4 with a Scietek joystick + throttle (with rudder) control. It was always too big for my hand though. Right now I have an Afterglow XBox 360 controller and a Mad Cat R.A.T. 7 gaming mouse. Thanks for any insights!

P.S. To not clutter up the forum with another n00b question let me ask this here as well: I have three monitors (built in plus 2 external). Will I be able to play using all of them? If not, should I disable them for performance reasons?

Edit: House RasaulHague? I have no recollection of this?

Edited by Anthony Tanas, 22 February 2014 - 02:48 PM.

#2 xMEPHISTOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Keyboard and mouse FTW.
From what I understand there is a slight (milliseconds) delay with joysticks which is unacceptable in a FPS imo.
No idea about the 3 monitor setup you speak of as I am unsure of your setup in general, I use 2 and it is more than enough unless you can set it up w/Eyefinity () or something similar, again unsure if this applies to your rig though.

#3 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

What do you prefer to use? Do you prefer the joystick trottle settings you used in older MWs? The House FRR is a Norwegian group iirc, and it wasn't present in older MWs. Also, welcome to the game. Hope I helped. :)

#4 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostxMEPHISTOx, on 22 February 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

Keyboard and mouse FTW.
From what I understand there is a slight (milliseconds) delay with joysticks which is unacceptable in a FPS imo.
No idea about the 3 monitor setup you speak of as I am unsure of your setup in general, I use 2 and it is more than enough unless you can set it up w/Eyefinity () or something similar, again unsure if this applies to your rig though.

So I guess yes, it does work with multi monitors? I don't know what eyefinity is?

Here is my specifications and equipment:

2.7 Ghz Quad Core Intel i5 Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512 MB
8 GB RAM
5400 RPM (boo) 1 TB HDD
21.5" LED IPS Display (Built In) (1920x1080)
2 x HP 22" LED IPS Displays (1920x1080)

Windows Performance Index Thing Says This:
Component Details Subscore Base score Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3330S CPU @ 2.70GHz 7.4 5.9 Determined by lowest subscore Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.8 Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 6.8 Gaming graphics 4096 MB Total available graphics memory 6.8 Primary hard disk 35GB Free (90GB Total) 5.9 Windows 7 Home Premium

#5 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

View Postluxebo, on 22 February 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

What do you prefer to use? Do you prefer the joystick trottle settings you used in older MWs? The House FRR is a Norwegian group iirc, and it wasn't present in older MWs. Also, welcome to the game. Hope I helped. :)

Hmmm...not sure to be honest. I like "realism" of a joystick/throttle combo. I hate gamepads generally. I'm handy with the mouse as I've played many FPSes and I do have a nice gaming mouse. From what I've read so far in the documentation it looks like the devs intended for it to be a mouse keyboard game and I generally think you've got to play the game they made, not the one you wish they made! Thanks for the welcome! :D

#6 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 22 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

xMEPHISTOx - doh, watching the video now. My monitors I connected via "displayport" (actually Thunderbolt ports which are also display ports - my iMac has two).

#7 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

View PostAnthony Tanas, on 22 February 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

Hmmm...not sure to be honest. I like "realism" of a joystick/throttle combo. I hate gamepads generally. I'm handy with the mouse as I've played many FPSes and I do have a nice gaming mouse. From what I've read so far in the documentation it looks like the devs intended for it to be a mouse keyboard game and I generally think you've got to play the game they made, not the one you wish they made! Thanks for the welcome! ;)

Stick with what you think is best for you, try them both and see which you prefer. I stick to keyboard/mouse. You can also search around the forums for more advice (like hardware/accessories section, etc.)

Edit: Forgot you still have recruit tag. After it then you can search around. :D

Edited by luxebo, 22 February 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#8 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

It's simple - what you are looking for is joystick and mouse.

I use a joystick offhand - it controls throttle and steering, and through the hat buttons and other buttons handles a lot of auxiliary controls - view modes, jump jets, and a couple weapon groups.

I also use a mouse (Razer Naga Hex) for aiming and most firing. It also allows me to pull up stuff like battle maps and use free look.

Here's the full controls:
Spoiler

I love it. I really wanted to use a joystick for the game, but it's just not suitable for aiming. You really need a zero-order joystick to accomplish that, which is the subject of a different post.

#9 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

i have been unconventional for years. i use a 2 button mouse with my left hand. i am right handed but years ago i learned to mouse left handed and type right handed. right button centers legs to torso. left button JJs. mouse controls torso. i also use an old x45 throttle and stick. the stick is in my right hand for most steering and firing. js has 5 fire buttons and a pinkie button i use for targeting. the js also has a couple of hats i use for weapon grouping, ecm zoom, and other stuff. the throttle is well a throttle with a couple of hats i use for vision(heat and night) and also a mouse hat. i also have one button on throttle mapped to JJs. for getting from place to place the throttle and stick is hard to beat. once engaged i drop the throttle for mouse, tapping the JJs and centering my legs as needed. kind of point the cross hair were i want to go tap the right button and away i go. as much as i love a joystick, it is not accurate enough for brawling or snipping. lrm boat i can get away without the mouse. lights with JJs mouse and stick.

#10 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

View Postloopala, on 22 February 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

i have been unconventional for years. i use a 2 button mouse with my left hand. i am right handed but years ago i learned to mouse left handed and type right handed.

Thats.... thats really neat ;)

#11 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

The very best control system takes advantage of how the game is coded....

Turning and throttle with first order devices like joysticks, pedals, game pads. ...

Aiming is coded as zero order so gaming mice / laser track balls. ...

That said I play with a full hotas because I find it fun that way... You can never take long range skill shots with a joystick... but I have my gaming mice close by if I need to hit 700m targets out

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

For aiming, use the mouse. Trying to aim with joystick devices will make you a sad panda.

For legs, use the keyboard if you want fast reactions (fast throttle changes, maximum speed turning), or the joystick if you want high precision (fluid leg movement and throttle changes). People do very well with either, so it comes down to personal preference.

#13 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

People say that their joystick is sluggish because they didn't set their user.cfg gain setting correctly

#14 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:28 AM

Keyboard? No, I don't use to write poems in the middle of a game. For gaming I use a gamingboard (Logitech G13).

#15 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostMycrus, on 23 February 2014 - 01:13 AM, said:

People say that their joystick is sluggish because they didn't set their user.cfg gain setting correctly

Try beating literally instant desired speed changes, and literally maximum speed turning. You will lose the fluid precision of the joystick.

#16 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostModo44, on 23 February 2014 - 01:32 AM, said:

Try beating literally instant desired speed changes, and literally maximum speed turning. You will lose the fluid precision of the joystick.

I don't get what you mean...

For throttle and turning the joystick > keyboard

For aiming the mouse > joystick

And that is because of how this game is coded

#17 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:37 AM

View PostMycrus, on 23 February 2014 - 03:18 AM, said:

I don't get what you mean...

Using the keyboard, you instantly set the desired speed, and always turn the legs at their maximum speed. To achieve the same using a joystick, you would need to make it silly sensitive, to the point of losing the fluidity it naturally allows. I will not explain why reaction speed may be preferred to precision in a FPS.

#18 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:43 AM

View PostModo44, on 23 February 2014 - 03:37 AM, said:

Using the keyboard, you instantly set the desired speed, and always turn the legs at their maximum speed. To achieve the same using a joystick, you would need to make it silly sensitive, to the point of losing the fluidity it naturally allows. I will not explain why reaction speed may be preferred to precision in a FPS.

YMMV

#19 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostModo44, on 23 February 2014 - 03:37 AM, said:

Yeah, you get full turning at the push of a button. But when zipping around at 170 kph, you don't always want full turning. Analog turning controls will give you better results, because you can vary how tightly you turn.

#20 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:08 AM

You are adorable. As if aligning the legs to the torso was forbidden.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users