• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Late much?

But since it's here.

View PostKoniving, on 18 February 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Considering an Earthwerk GRF, better known as Griffin as either a first mech or your next mech?

You're in for a treat! But before you get started, I wanted to let you know about a few things that just might help you out.

First off, inside a Griffin you're gonna feel this wonderful feeling. It's called Comfort. Spacious and roomy, the piloting area feels quite nice. From the cup holder to personal grooming mirror that you can hang fuzzy dice on you will be right at home in an instant. For those long base captures you can just kick your feet up and relax. Then there's so much Transplast shielding -- that's the translucent metallic 'glass' protection of our cockpit -- you will as if you're in your own little bubble connected to the world.

If you use your Left CTRL key, you can take this time to look around and truly enjoy life. After all, you only live once and there is so much to see.

...By now you're getting a completely different kind of feeling. One of vulnerability and exposure. The view is clear in front of you, to your left, to the right, above you. You can see everything, and they... they can see you inside.

I bet you won't even be able to pick your nose without some sharp shooters seeing it from a kilometer away with advanced zoom turned on. Your pilot suit is already turning brown and no one will notice! It's okay. Really! You have nothing to fear. Most of your cockpit is protected by the vast amount of armor allocated from your center torso. Although there is a special spot that has its own dedicated 18 armor and 18 structure to protect you as well. Wouldn't want someone to ruin that wonderful smile of yours! Also that space is so small you will probably spill your coffee or beer there at some point and never even notice. See? The transplast looks green. Can't tell I spit my drink up earlier. Ahem.

That's right! Before you can enjoy the view and the seat you have to get one. I bet you're wondering which one to get.

Tell you what, Earthwerk, Inc. has a special deal going on that you should hear about.

Together with the help of Defiance, Vandenburg Mechanized, and Victory Industries we are offering you the sale of a lifetime! And no, it's not on Kaboom!™ or Oxi-Clean™. It's on Griffin Battlemechs. We've brought the factories back online for the first time since October and now you can save before we ship the units to the stores for full retail. It's true! We have the Griffin 1S and 1N for very reasonable prices.

Unlike Shadowhawks, Griffins can mount a 20 tube launcher in addition to multiple 10 tube launchers. It also features the classic tried and true drum-style launcher for that sleek, retro look!

The 1S comes with 4 energy mounts on the right arm and 2 missile mounts on the left side. Stock and cheap, but you got quite a bit of work to do on it and your engineer won't be happy. Ready to deliver for 4,466,783 .
The 1N comes as a Right Side Wonder, 3 energy mounts and 3 missile ports with a nearly bare left side. It's a fair deal. Ideal for those into sacrificial limbs. Delivered to your Mechbay for the low, low price of 4,696,843 !

But that's not our great deal, oh no. Wait til you hear this!

If you act now you can get our souped up, factory-upgraded 3M Variant for a lot less than retail by ordering direct! We're looking to cut out the middle man. Get it now for 8,277, 351 ! C'mon down before you start having to pay bluebook value at more than 10,000,000 !

(10+ million is what you'd have to pay to buy one of the other Griffins and then get the same engine and DHS on it. Save now! Get the 3M first. You'll be using that XL 275 for most of your MWO career.)

The 3M comes with the ultra expensive 275-rated Extra Light Fusion Engine, left torso and right arm mounted energy points (1 each), and 4 missile launchers ideal for boating or for mixed payloads. Don't forget it comes with extras like a leather seat, jumpjets, great armor, and most importantly double heatsinks pre-installed. Your engineer will thank you for saving him the trouble...and then call you a cheapskate for not paying him!

Edit: Brought Griffin gameplay from page 3 to page 1.

To get the same view, create a notepad file called "User.cfg" in your MWO folder. Add this line.
CL_Fov = 90
Save the user.cfg file. Load the game. Go into testing grounds to see the difference (and to make sure it's working).

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

To be frank, there was no space for advertising the Griffin with their current frontend (Firestarter+Cent weekend promo filled the spots).

I think people would be more excited had there been a mini-hotfix patch with camos being added, but I guess that's for a patch on a different day.

Edited by Deathlike, 25 February 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 25 February 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

To be frank, there was no space for advertising the Griffin with their current frontend (Firestarter+Cent weekend promo filled the spots).

I think people would be more excited had there been a mini-hotfix patch with camos being added, but I guess that's for a patch on a different day.

Well they didn't release it on the patch day they intended it for. The slip of them in the hotpatch I think was fixing it.

But my "late" comment was them only now putting the big post about them being available today. When they were out the same day I posted the quoted text.

Speaking of which sometime (probably mid-month) next month the Wolverines are coming for cbills. If it says anything, the 7K is the super money saver of the Wolverines in terms of .

Random fun fact: The money saving Griffin, the 3M, is the one pictured in the big poster.

#5 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 February 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

Well they didn't release it on the patch day they intended it for. The slip of them in the hotpatch I think was fixing it.

Well, they committed most/all of their resources to the Firestarter... and it shows.

But my "late" comment was them only now putting the big post about them being available today. When they were out the same day I posted the quoted text.

Well, you know this is "normal" for all the stuff that gets posted here. It's disappointing really.

Speaking of which sometime (probably mid-month) next month the Wolverines are coming for cbills. If it says anything, the 7K is the super money saver of the Wolverines in terms of .

How so? I haven't seen that many Wolverines lately (and that's besides the fact that the Griffin is everywhere this month)...

Random fun fact: The money saving Griffin, the 3M, is the one pictured in the big poster.

In some ways, I kinda wished quarter tonnage engines were instituted... mostly for the armor side (including the endo steel tonnage conversion formula), but I'm having a hard time justifying the 275XL engine when that's limited to the non-Raven-3Ls (I carry more 280XLs than I have collected 275XL engines)... :-/

#6 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

King Crab!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edited by Dawnstealer, 25 February 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#7 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 February 2014 - 10:33 AM, said:

Money saving? Who designed it?
I saw 4 Missile ports listed as one big enough for a 20 tube launcher and three for 10 tubes each. Try fitting that. Strip the Mech of everything, add in LRM20 and 3LRM10 then see how big an engine you can fit. No ammo, Energy or anything else.

#8 Monsoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

I thought UI2.0 was supposed to remove the need for them to bring down the servers to remove 'sale items' or in this case, the free Mech event?

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

View PostMerchant, on 25 February 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

The reason it's money saving is given. To put the same engine + DHS into the other mechs with no other changes would cost 2 million more than the 3M which comes with them stock.

Also pop the 3M open in Smurfy. Look at the price. Now load stock. See the price go down?

And yes it'd be difficult to fit that, but not impossible. I've seen Hunchbacks fit twin LRM-20s and still have room for ammo. A 20 + 3 10s is pretty easy, ditch backup weapons and Artemis.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 25 February 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

How so? I haven't seen that many Wolverines lately (and that's besides the fact that the Griffin is everywhere this month)...

Wolverine 7k, Griffin 3M, Shadowhawk 5M share the same pricing trait.

XL engine + DHS pre-installed = Cheaper than should be.

Shadowhawk 5M. Given the way the game normally does pricing it should be 9,191,799 stock.
It becomes... 8,166,799 stock.

Griffin 3M should be 9,027,351
Is actually 8,277,351.

There's a weird pricing quirk going on. Kintaro 20 also has it. The M variant of the Orions. The Awesome 9M.

It's a pricing quirk in a lot of mechs. Check them with Smurfy by selecting them checking the price, then loading stock and checking the price again. Something changes the way the game prices them after the fact, they don't follow the game's own pricing formulas.

The only conditions for the weird pricing quirk is that it comes with upgrades preinstalled. This can and does include XL engines.

Edited by Koniving, 25 February 2014 - 11:04 AM.

#11 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Its possible that this was all ways the intended release day for the Griffin, which is why the advert now.

Russ posted about the hot fix and 'griffin envy' one presumes because of never before heard whining on the forums, so it was made available early. (i'm not really laughing..much )

Guessing no room on the front end until now to change the advertising, but would imagine the people who do this we're face palming, and quietly muttering "he said what" !, behind his back.

View PostMerchant, on 25 February 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

I saw 4 Missile ports listed as one big enough for a 20 tube launcher and three for 10 tubes each. Try fitting that. Strip the Mech of everything, add in LRM20 and 3LRM10 then see how big an engine you can fit. No ammo, Energy or anything else.

Strange I saw an LRM20 and 3 streak launchers, I thought 4 was a bit much for a drum the size of New England sitting on its shoulder, though having seen a 4xstreak perform, i'm tempted

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostCathy, on 25 February 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

Its possible that this was all ways the intended release day for the Griffin, which is why the advert now.

Possible, however the slated day on the phoenix package was the 18th.

Yet.. The MC availability a week early though -- I think that was an impulse idea (based on the firestarter early MC charges) and the idea of pushing the Griffin back 2 weeks instead of 1 may have been put on someone's desk as a way to milk the MC only access a little longer while people were still sitting on a lot of MC after getting firestarters early.

But these are just theories. Let's rejoice instead in Griffins. Contrary to the meta belief of dead on arrival, these things are a lot more fun than shadowhawks.

Just a shame armor isn't based on stock variants, though. They outclass at least one Shadowhawk in starting armor and rival the other two.

#13 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 February 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

Possible, however the slated day on the phoenix package was the 18th.

Yet.. The MC availability a week early though -- I think that was an impulse idea (based on the firestarter early MC charges) and the idea of pushing the Griffin back 2 weeks instead of 1 may have been put on someone's desk as a way to milk the MC only access a little longer while people were still sitting on a lot of MC after getting firestarters early.

They have not done MC availability for ANY of the PP mechs... the MC thing started around the Victors (or probably a little earlier than that date, but post Highlanders.. I'm thinking BJs).

But these are just theories. Let's rejoice instead in Griffins. Contrary to the meta belief of dead on arrival, these things are a lot more fun than shadowhawks.

Just a shame armor isn't based on stock variants, though. They outclass at least one Shadowhawk in starting armor and rival the other two.

The meta has suggested that they are the best mobile missile boats. The KTO's only distinction is being able to route any missile tube on any section of the body (and having 5 missile hardpoints on the KTO-18). Compared to the Griffin, you have exceptional convergence if you're stuffing it with SRM.

So, in theory, any type of missile boat (SRM, Streak, LRM) is mostly optimal on the Griffin... when tonnage and crits aren't limiting factor.

View PostKoniving, on 25 February 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

Wolverine 7k, Griffin 3M, Shadowhawk 5M share the same pricing trait.

XL engine + DHS pre-installed = Cheaper than should be.

Shadowhawk 5M. Given the way the game normally does pricing it should be 9,191,799 stock.
It becomes... 8,166,799 stock.

Griffin 3M should be 9,027,351
Is actually 8,277,351.

There's a weird pricing quirk going on. Kintaro 20 also has it. The M variant of the Orions. The Awesome 9M.

It's a pricing quirk in a lot of mechs. Check them with Smurfy by selecting them checking the price, then loading stock and checking the price again. Something changes the way the game prices them after the fact, they don't follow the game's own pricing formulas.

The only conditions for the weird pricing quirk is that it comes with upgrades preinstalled. This can and does include XL engines.

Oh that. Shhh, don't give PGI ideas to "correct" this.

Edited by Deathlike, 25 February 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#14 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Still think the number of tubes was over what it can do reasonably. I know I tried working it in Smurfy's.

View PostCathy, on 25 February 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

Strange I saw an LRM20 and 3 streak launchers, I thought 4 was a bit much for a drum the size of New England sitting on its shoulder, though having seen a 4xstreak perform, i'm tempted

Have not driven it yet, I am waiting to collect C-Bills for final mods to a 1S and a 1N purchase so I can alternate running all 3 to master but my 3M now is a variant of the famous brawling Awesome-8R, 2LL and 4Streaks. Yes, I got all 7JJs too.

When I made it, I notice the 20 tube launcher is the shoulder but the other 3 are in different RT spots.

Edited by Merchant, 25 February 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#15 LONGINUS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 184 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMunich

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Well, where are the purchuseable camos in mechlab for it? Please fix this!

#16 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostKoniving, on 25 February 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

Wolverine 7k, Griffin 3M, Shadowhawk 5M share the same pricing trait. XL engine + DHS pre-installed = Cheaper than should be. Shadowhawk 5M. Given the way the game normally does pricing it should be 9,191,799 stock. It becomes... 8,166,799 stock. Griffin 3M should be 9,027,351 Is actually 8,277,351. There's a weird pricing quirk going on. Kintaro 20 also has it. The M variant of the Orions. The Awesome 9M. It's a pricing quirk in a lot of mechs. Check them with Smurfy by selecting them checking the price, then loading stock and checking the price again. Something changes the way the game prices them after the fact, they don't follow the game's own pricing formulas. The only conditions for the weird pricing quirk is that it comes with upgrades preinstalled. This can and does include XL engines.

I don't think it's a quirk. I think it's supposed to be that way. You can always buy a special edition automobile with all the features you want plus some you don't want cheaper than a custom build.

Jody

#17 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostMonsoon, on 25 February 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

I thought UI2.0 was supposed to remove the need for them to bring down the servers to remove 'sale items' or in this case, the free Mech event?

The shutdown was most likely to patch back-end stuff and completely unrelated to the sale.

#18 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

I am happy that they decided to release the Griffins on the 18th as it was advertised back when these were announced. They are a great mech. I am not sure if they will do the Wolverines next month or not as I only liked one of them, the Phoenix Variant the 6R. Russ said people will like the 6K because of the higher engine cap.

#19 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

Griffin's are great Mechs for anyone interested in them... stuff an XL275-300 in them and get moving! Good load-out options, good speed, great Mechs all around... had as much fun with these as I did with the Shadowhawks. Likely next Tuesday we'll be able to start putting patterns on the Griffins... I really want to get my favorite patterns on them LOL!

View PostNgamok, on 25 February 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

I am happy that they decided to release the Griffins on the 18th as it was advertised back when these were announced. They are a great mech. I am not sure if they will do the Wolverines next month or not as I only liked one of them, the Phoenix Variant the 6R. Russ said people will like the 6K because of the higher engine cap.

I stuffed an XL 360 in one of my Wolverines... LOL! It's FAST! :D

Edited by Grendel408, 25 February 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#20 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 25 February 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

Russ said people will like the 6K because of the higher engine cap.

I stuffed an XL 360 in one of my Wolverines... LOL! It's FAST! :D

All wolverines can do an XL360, but the 6K variant can go up to XL375, but it lacks jump jet capability. Honestly not really worth only an extra 15 rating, especially considering its got only 1 missile hard point, so anti-light Streaking is out of the question. Then it got basically all of its weapons in the right arm, which can be easily gimped by a smart light mech who knows what he's fighting.

Basically I'm saying the 6K is the worst Wolverine variant. Wolverines in general just aren't as good as their Griffon counterparts due to weapon placement, and due to SRMs being crappy. I think once SRMs are fixed it could be a solid jump jetting SRM brawler compared with the classic CN9-A brawler.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users