Cockpit Screen Information

19 replies to this topic

Poll: Cockpit Screen Information (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you agree with the OP's suggestion?

1. Yes (40 votes [93.02%])

Percentage of vote: 93.02%

2. No (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

3. Abstain (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:26 AM

This has been beaten to death but wouldn't you like to see all those {LT-MOB-25} pit screens put to use? Each mech has 3-4 cockpit screens. My suggestion for each is this:

1st Screen: Ammunition. Currently when functional the ammunition screen floats between various limbs and parts of your mech. Instead it should list your total ammunition, it's current amount vs total amount and should flash red if ammo is destroyed.

2nd Screen: Heat Sinks. This screen already exists and works about 100% of the time. It gives an icon for all heat sinks and a list of where they all are. The only addition is to put in your heat efficiency on the screen as well that is dynamic when a heat sink is destroyed.

3rd Screen: Basic Target Info. When you have a mech targeted via the R key this screen pops up with basic information about the mech:

Hunchback
HBK-4G
50 Tons
Chassis Stock Speed

Easter Egg: When encountering a Timber Wolf screen flashes between Marauder and Catapult.

4th Screen (for those that have it): Detailed Target Info. Special info about the target.

Optimal Range (based on weapons loadout)
Actual Speed
XL vs Standard Engine

Thoughts?

#2 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

Yes please.

I'd add that the ammo and HS screens should give a paperdoll display with mech locations, so it's easier to visualize where they are, how much is left, and if it's been destroyed or taken damage.

#3 Viperion

• PipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 75 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

yes please, I love to know how much % left of a certain part of my mech like the arms.. say 25 % left of the arm or 76 % of the CT .. etc..

and if any possible.. let us choose what should add on those 4-5 monitors..

#4 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

We need one with view from back camera too.

#5 Lord Creston

• PipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

Use a screen to show equipped modules

#6 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

I agree with everything there, minus the XL or STD engine indicator. Since not all 'mechs have that screen that'll give an advantage to the ones that do.
Plus it'll make XL's that much more dangerous to carry..

#7 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

View PostJaeger Gonzo, on 28 February 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

We need one with view from back camera too.

Not likely to happen. CryEngine has a problem with the picture-in-picture thing.

#8 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:13 AM

Of course. I'd love to see them feeding through information of some sort.

Though the 4th screen should likely be something irrelevant like our own modules since I don't think all Mechs have 4

Edited by KelesK, 26 August 2014 - 01:14 AM.

#9 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:37 AM

Greetings all,

The problem I see the MWO engineers having, is sending this information to all the different locations of each chassis.

- Every chassis moves these monitors to different locations, they are different sizes, and some are actually out of the Pilots line of sight.
It doesn't matter whether CryEngine can render the changing information or not, if it's required info, it should be presented on the HUD and not have to be 'looked to' for any critical info.
- is it even required info? Ammo count is already displayed, heat sinks are nice but not a required separate display, as I could just as well have LED's/lights, showing the number present/damaged/destroyed.

There are a few Mech chassis I would first 'rip' the monitors out of, or at least have the crew chief move them 'OUT of my line of sight'. They block the side view areas and are sometimes quite the hindrance to 'seeing what's going on' around your Mech.
- There size is not proportional to what they display, if there is only 4 lines of info, I don't need a 21 inch monitor for that.
- Once the start-up sequence is completed these monitors need to 'retract' back out of the way, if they block my view they could get me killed.

From the Lore and reference Tech info, these monitors were multi functional. They could be used to display various types if information, and even used for visual comms. Most could be accessed or controlled through the joysticks. Once in combat the Pilot is firmly secured into the Mech's seat, so there would be 'NO' leaning out to operate any of these devices. If it can't be reached with a normal arm extension, it's not critical controls. None of the monitors should interfere with the Pilots operation.

Reference the picture in picture problem with CryEngine:
- I see a cockpit layout, a HUD overlay, and a working mini map all being rendered over each other.
- As well as the pop up overlay map with the Mech and view still workable in the background
- In some instances the monitors do have changing info displayed on them.
- Having only one directional view is it's problem, the monitors should be accessible for text info displays.
(now whether this is dynamic info and changing is another matter.)
If it's such a problem for this engine to show two directions at once, then only give me one. If I want to see behind me I 'push' that view button and am now only looking at the reverse angle. Release the 'button' and back to front view, it could work the same for front down view when using the JJ's. Need DFA to really use that view though.
(from reference the older MW games used to have this on the joystick 'Hat' control, I know different engine, but I diverge.)

Just some observations,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 26 August 2014 - 06:53 AM.

#10 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 29 April 2015 - 05:19 PM

It would be great to have all of the screens in mechs functioning. Even if they don't show exactly what you have posted, I would love to see them all in use. It might even help the overall in-combat UI if some of the things shown weren't stuff directly shown by what we already have.

#11 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:37 PM

I don't even care what will be on these screens, there should be ANYTHING. Seriously, I don't understand why it's so hard to put something on them. I could understand that when game was «beta» but since MWO has released there shouldn't be [WELCOME TO UNFINISHED GAME] screens all over your cockpit. It's just a trifle but it makes realy strong feel of game's incompleteness.

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:54 PM

Some go up to 8 screens.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:58 PM

Actually there's one with 9.

Far as what's on them...

I would like the elements of the hud to be there instead.

Map? center-most screen.
Health? A screen on the left.
Enemy info? Screen on the right.
Ammo? Heatsinks? Depends on the mech where it'd be.
Crit status, prompting the most recent internal damage.
Just things of that nature. The HUD is obscenely cluttered and the scaleform script is laggy as heck (right CTRL + F11 removes hud. Hit F9 before doing so to see your FPS. Do right CTRL + F11, see your FPS jump by as many as 30 frames! depending on your system). It'd be nice to feel like we're in a mech with controls, dials and information rather than in a game that wants us to press F to care.

#14 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 29 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

View PostKoniving, on 30 April 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

The HUD is obscenely cluttered and the scaleform script is laggy as heck (right CTRL + F11 removes hud. Hit F9 before doing so to see your FPS. Do right CTRL + F11, see your FPS jump by as many as 30 frames! depending on your system).

I get the same framerate... No change at all.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:22 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 29 May 2018 - 12:06 PM, said:

I get the same framerate... No change at all.

Its also been 3 years.

#16 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:19 PM

View PostKoniving, on 30 May 2018 - 05:22 AM, said:

Its also been 3 years.

No it hasn't! It's been 3 years and a month! So there... HA!

Edited by BTGbullseye, 30 May 2018 - 01:19 PM.

#17 ArcRoyale

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:09 AM

I would like to see it... but so far what we have is so ingrained, and, well, this is the same company that takes forever to give us retrofits for existing tech. So, I can't say.

Still, would love for IS Mechs to display IS names. I know an old pal of mine who quit the game lately was coming up with IS-based acronyms for the Clan Mechs. PMA instead of ADR, MDC for TBR, that.

Edited by ArcRoyale, 31 May 2018 - 03:10 AM.

#18 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:06 PM

Definitely.

I don't know why PGI actually ditched them in the first place, these were useful :/

#19 TheVikingArtist

• Pip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:32 PM

Yeah any functional information is preferable to looped gifs. If it would cause some players to lose framerate or something you could just have it be an option to use the feature or keep the gif screens.

For immersion I'd really rather not have the HUD and instead have the screens displaying that stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users