- - - - -

Looking At Heavies

24 replies to this topic

#21 Lokisonn

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

I run mediums a lot and if you're familiar with that playstyle, then the Dragon and Quickdraw are the closest match.

Dragons are usually ballistic oriented with dual AC5s or triple AC2s working out nicely. The DRG-1C though has 4 energy hard points, 2 in the left arm and 2 in the left torso and can perform quite well with 4LL. Since they are all on the left side, they converge quite well.

For both the Dragon and Quickdraw, I recommend at least a 300 engin or higher. XLs are not much of an issue for the Dragon and for the most part Quickdraws too. Dragons tend to need speed to mitigate the big torso. On the QKD 5K I have 2PPC for range support and 4ML for some close in work. Runs a 340XL. The other 2 Quickdraws have a mix of srms, lasers and the occasional PPC. Personally I feel both mechs are not quite the brawling type as well.

Jager's are very good ballistic support mechs. Those high mounted cannons really lets you dish out lots of punishment from cover but they're not fast and lots of people have learned to shoot the side torso because most come with XLs. Cataphracts are probably one of the communities favourite heavies. You see them everywhere doing everything, just spectate someone.

I'm just starting on my Orions (owing to the recent 50% Protector sale). It takes some getting used to coming from mediums and fast heavies because its so much slower and less maneuverable. Hope I can get the hang of it before it gets too frustrating. A definite change of playstyle is needed.

#22 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

N.B. Dragon's need an XL engine to be worthwhile. Those tiny side torso's and large CT are just begging for an XL engine to be stuffed inside.

#23 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

I also started with mediums, and then started on heavies.

It's worth mentioning that heavies don't really start to shine until you've unlocked all the Elite efficiencies. Speed Tweak, plus the double basics make them a great deal more maneuverable than they are at first. Be prepared for your first matches to be an absolute train-wreck as you get used to hauling something much bigger and slower around the maps, but stick with them and you'll get used to the different play style.

For heavies, I play Orions and Thunderbolts. Thunderbolts are decent energy boats, and all the variants have something interesting going for them, but I still find them weird to pilot. That offset cockpit takes some getting used to. They do move well and can really tank damage, though.

Orions, I think are amazing. They feel very slow at first, but once they're Elited, they're surprisingly nimble. They're also the most versatile heavy - all the variants have ballistic, missile and energy hardpoints, and they're all useful hardpoints - nothing like the Dragon's CT-only missiles. You might struggle to really energy-boat in an Orion, but they can brawl, they can do long-range direct-fire, and they can do LRMs very comfortably.

#24 Project Chaos

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

I just wanted to say thank you guys for all the help & suggestions, I appreciate all of your posts & though I have not finished reading them all, I am really liking the advice I am getting.

I will continue to save up C-Bills and read more into your guys' advice and see which mech I choose.

Right now the Thunderbolt is looking really nice, I like the "jack of all trades" thing is has going for it, so if I ever get bored with the energy boating, I can switch it up. I also like the fact that they are "standard engine friendly" as I am flat out broke most the time, having to buy XL engines is a pain, right now I only own a single XL engine, and I actually have to swap it out of my mechs when I want to use it lol.

Another thing I am liking about the Thunderbolt, based on what I've read here, is that all the variants seem to be "energy boatable" which I like, I don't like with some mech chassis where you get 1 good energy variant, and the rest are terrible at it.

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Alright. Thunderbolt 9SE appears to be the best out of the box deal. Preloaded with DHS for what's essentially 800,000 more than the other two and it uses jumpjets.

Going through them.

Thunderbolt 9SE, 5 energy, 2 missile (LT), jumpjets.
Pro:
  • Comes with DHS.
  • SRMs easier to aim due to being closer to your vision.
  • Limited Energy points means you'll have an easier time bringing larger energy weapons or staying cold.
  • Jumpjets.
Con:
  • 2nd Launcher blocks left peripheral vision.
  • Can't boat a lot of light weight energy weapons.
  • LT launcher makes LT easier to hit.
  • Both launchers go up to 10 tubes.
Thunderbolt 5SS

7 energy, 1 missile (LT).
Pro
  • One missile port usually inspires a really big launcher.
  • Shoulder mounted energy points (RT) are very high up, ideal for ballistic energy weapons (PPCs and ER PPCs come to mind).
  • Shoulder mounted energy points are on eye level and parallel to the head, perfect for hill sniping.
  • Large number of energy hardpoints is great for boating lots of low-heat energy weapons for massive damage.
  • Corner shooting doesn't require exposing your head to make hits.
Con
  • Starts with SHS.
  • LT missile launcher makes LT easier to hit.
  • Launcher does only 10 tubes at a time (some see this as a pro as well, as missiles will spread less with an LRM-20)
  • Launcher doesn't increase or decrease in size with different missile amounts/sizes.
  • Shoulder mounted energy weapons will have trouble hitting what you want at close range.
  • Corner shooting is awkward since you're on the opposite shoulder.
Thunderbolt 5S

4 Energy, 2 Missile (RT), 2 Ballistic.
Pro
  • Ballistics on left arm.
  • Missile launchers on right side far enough to not obstruct view.
  • Large launcher does 20 missiles.
  • RT launcher keeps shots away from the LT and thus away from the cockpit and your remaining lasers.
Con
  • RT Arm only has one energy mount.
  • With arms being low-mounted, not good for any hill-based combat uphill or down; but this is a general trait of all arm-mounted weapons on the Thunderbolt.
  • Only 4 energy hardpoints.
  • Starts with SHS.
  • RT Launcher is HUGE and makes RT easier to hit.
Universal pros.

Cockpit is off-center, making it harder to spot. Attempts to shoot it can divide damage between CT and LT.
Bouncy run/walk, makes hitting the cockpit and specific parts a bit harder.
Claws look wicked.

Universal cons.
Claws can't grab lights.
Cockpit being off center makes depth perception 'interesting'.
Bouncy run/walk draws attention and thus is easily noticed (you won't be doing any stealth runs).

Edited by Koniving, 01 March 2014 - 12:54 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users