Shadowhawk Version?

40 replies to this topic

#21 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

I put off getting the Shadowhawks for so long then I realized it could do my Hunchback-G AC/20 build but, way better. It could have jumpjets, more speed, more heatsinks and more ammo. I had switched my hunchy from the Ac/20 and the Shad replaced that build.

These mechs really can do anything, so far I've only had a few 1000+ dmg games and one was in a shadowhawk if that tells you anything. Also I never buy any mech that I don't plan on getting elited. I consider the mech not even complete until it has 2x on the basics. Sometimes you end up selling the duds but, with the shads they can all be set up so differently that you don't even want to sell one.

#22 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

It's all about the 2D2. It's a brutal skirmisher.

#23 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

the 2d2d lost its job to the griffin...

#24 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:42 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 07 March 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

the 2d2d lost its job to the griffin...

How exactly? The griff does have more tubes but, they aren't going to be used most of the time anyway due to the weight limits of mediums. You are either going to have no armor, speed, or ammo. Plus the Shad has a ballistic option and it doesn't lose both backup weapons if one arm is blown off. Even missing two arms if you have a ballistic you still have a backup weapon.

I'm just curious why they are better. I don't have one but, I rarely ever see them. If I do ever see a medium in game 8 out 10 times it is a Shadowhawk and even more likely it's a 2D2D. All of the common ssrm and srm builds can be done on both.

#25 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

View PostRiotHero, on 07 March 2014 - 10:42 PM, said:

How exactly? The griff does have more tubes but, they aren't going to be used most of the time anyway due to the weight limits of mediums. You are either going to have no armor, speed, or ammo. Plus the Shad has a ballistic option and it doesn't lose both backup weapons if one arm is blown off. Even missing two arms if you have a ballistic you still have a backup weapon.

I'm just curious why they are better. I don't have one but, I rarely ever see them. If I do ever see a medium in game 8 out 10 times it is a Shadowhawk and even more likely it's a 2D2D. All of the common ssrm and srm builds can be done on both.

I think Khajja is referring to the 4 Streak build you can run on the 2D2. In that specific circumstance, yes, the Griffin is better.

But the 2D2 is so much more than a streakboat.

The only area that the Griffin trumps the SHD is in missile boating and a superior number of JJ's. But it is the best medium missile platform, without a doubt.

#26 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:00 PM

View PostLunatech, on 08 March 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

I think Khajja is referring to the 4 Streak build you can run on the 2D2. In that specific circumstance, yes, the Griffin is better.

But the 2D2 is so much more than a streakboat.

The only area that the Griffin trumps the SHD is in missile boating and a superior number of JJ's. But it is the best medium missile platform, without a doubt.

Sorry, it is all about hitboxes in this case.

If you aren't talking LRM's, which suck anyway, you should be in a Shadow Hawk.

They just spread damage so perfectly.

The 2D2 is a flat out amazing mech. If they had just scaled it a bit smaller, it might actually compete with Heavies for meta.

#27 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 08 March 2014 - 01:00 PM, said:

Sorry, it is all about hitboxes in this case.

If you aren't talking LRM's, which suck anyway, you should be in a Shadow Hawk.

They just spread damage so perfectly.

The 2D2 is a flat out amazing mech. If they had just scaled it a bit smaller, it might actually compete with Heavies for meta.

Other than the missile "hunch", the Griffin has superb hitboxes as well. That is undeniable. I'm also of the opinion that having more than two (or three) jumpjets helps a great deal for a light hunter. I know I've been given the slip in the 2D2 by a light forcing me to jump over obstacles repeatedly. There's never been such a problem for me in the Griffin.

But I agree with you. The 2D2 is probably the best mech in the game, ton for ton.

#28 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostLunatech, on 08 March 2014 - 01:05 PM, said:

Other than the missile "hunch", the Griffin has superb hitboxes as well. That is undeniable. I'm also of the opinion that having more than two (or three) jumpjets helps a great deal for a light hunter. I know I've been given the slip in the 2D2 by a light forcing me to jump over obstacles repeatedly. There's never been such a problem for me in the Griffin.

But I agree with you. The 2D2 is probably the best mech in the game, ton for ton.

I honestly never have this issue, and it's not just about the hunches, it's also about weapon placement.

The fact that the Shadow Hawk's weapons are so spread out, coupled with the ultra high placement of the AC just makes it flat out better.

#29 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

My build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...540af8da9c2ed96
Plays like a small Heavy. Lots of damage. Yes, you do need all that ammo. Yes, you do need the ML. Yes, the 3 AC/5s are worth losing your speed. And lastly, yes you do need a STD engine with this build. You will be taking lots of damage since this build makes ya slow, and you shouldnt lose that CT as long as you torso twist between shots and when under fire.

^One of my funnest builds of all time.

#30 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

View PostPezzer, on 08 March 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

My build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...540af8da9c2ed96
Plays like a small Heavy. Lots of damage. Yes, you do need all that ammo. Yes, you do need the ML. Yes, the 3 AC/5s are worth losing your speed. And lastly, yes you do need a STD engine with this build. You will be taking lots of damage since this build makes ya slow, and you shouldnt lose that CT as long as you torso twist between shots and when under fire.

^One of my funnest builds of all time.

You may not lose your CT if you twist well, but you'll lose those legs in seconds to anyone worth their salt.

I saw one of these (maybe it was you) a few days ago. Looks fun, but I'd really suggest stripping out the ML and using the spare ton to protect those legs a bit more. Obviously if it works for you, don't change it, but there's no way I could play a build with leg armour that weak.

I know if I was in my Ember you'd be legged and left before you could say "Lolwtf?".
It's worth always assuming lights will test your legs first. So many people strip too much leg armour off heavies and assaults that it's a habit you form, and when you burn all the armour off in one pass... Well, that's a field day. You get legged, and then while you attempt to rejoin your buddies the light comes back around and takes the other leg.

Something like this would be my (so ignore it at your leisure, just offering my limited advice) "upgrade" to it. Should improve survivability a great deal.

Edited by Lunatech, 08 March 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#31 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

I have heard lots of people saying the best light hunter in the game is a Shadow Hawk but after playing with Smurfy I just don't see it.

I mainly hear about the 4 Streak boat build so here is what I came up with: SHD-2D2

But then you have the old KTO-18 Streak boat like this: KTO-18

Then you have the GRF-3M that looks a bit better like this: GRF-3M

I know the Shadow Hawk is known as the best medium DPS mech due to Jump jets and high mounted Ballistic weapons but why or what build is the so called best light killed?

Thanks.

Edited by wintersborn, 08 March 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#32 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

I have also heard of this "Triple Deuce' Hawk without a XL so I assume that is 3 x AC2 like this. SHD-2H

Or is there another non XL Triple Deuce build ? Is chain fire the secret to the AC2's as long as you don't have more than three due to ghost heat ? Or is there a benefit to a high DPS vs high alpha build like a AC20 etc.

Edited by wintersborn, 08 March 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#33 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:31 AM

View Postwintersborn, on 08 March 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

I have also heard of this "Triple Deuce' Hawk without a XL so I assume that is 3 x AC2 like this. SHD-2H

Or is there another non XL Triple Deuce build ? Is chain fire the secret to the AC2's as long as you don't have more than three due to ghost heat ? Or is there a benefit to a high DPS vs high alpha build like a AC20 etc.

That ammo is to low, especially for AC2's. You can only do 750dmg and that's if you have perfect aim.

I've never liked the trip ac'2 on the shadowhawk they run way to hot, even worse when you don't have an xl to pack more heatsinks. I run a very simple build on my 2H now and it has got me over 1000dmg. 1xLL/2xAC5

#34 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:59 AM

View Postwintersborn, on 08 March 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

I have heard lots of people saying the best light hunter in the game is a Shadow Hawk but after playing with Smurfy I just don't see it.

I mainly hear about the 4 Streak boat build so here is what I came up with: SHD-2D2

I know the Shadow Hawk is known as the best medium DPS mech due to Jump jets and high mounted Ballistic weapons but why or what build is the so called best light killed?

Thanks.

In terms of light hunting, the KTO has one stream more, but no JJs and except for the RVN-3L all lights that are considered good have JJ, so you'll have a hard time following them on some maps.

Between the GRF and SHD i think (only think because i don't own a GRF yet) that the GRF is slightly better because it is a little smaller, has harder to hit legs and has all it's streaks mounted really high, so you have less risk of losing them to a ridge or some other obstacle. I dunno how much difference it makes that the GRF has on energy in the torso (less prone to loose, but less freedom to aim). Both are said to have great Hitboxes. Close call.

I tried the Streakhawk once, but reverted to something else, because i think the ballistic hardpoint is just to good not to be used, but for the griffin it's just a good build that distinguishes it from the other variants which will probably be LRM or SRM based. On the other hand the 3M is probably the best GRF to run it with an ER-PPC... But then again, i don't own any yet. But will be next up, after i've grinded out some modules, which doesn't come easy.

Edit: Further the GRF has a more open cockpit not limiting your view, and seems to have the best torsotwist of the 3. So in terms of SSRM boat it seams the best choice, and hence the best light hunter.

Edited by Myke Pantera, 10 March 2014 - 11:51 PM.

#35 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostLunatech, on 08 March 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

You may not lose your CT if you twist well, but you'll lose those legs in seconds to anyone worth their salt.

I saw one of these (maybe it was you) a few days ago. Looks fun, but I'd really suggest stripping out the ML and using the spare ton to protect those legs a bit more. Obviously if it works for you, don't change it, but there's no way I could play a build with leg armour that weak.

I know if I was in my Ember you'd be legged and left before you could say "Lolwtf?".
It's worth always assuming lights will test your legs first. So many people strip too much leg armour off heavies and assaults that it's a habit you form, and when you burn all the armour off in one pass... Well, that's a field day. You get legged, and then while you attempt to rejoin your buddies the light comes back around and takes the other leg.

Something like this would be my (so ignore it at your leisure, just offering my limited advice) "upgrade" to it. Should improve survivability a great deal.

Fine fine, I'll let you in to my secret; SHawks are fantastic twisters. Combine that with MWO's perfect weapon convergence, and I can hit a Spider with 2-to-3/3 of those AC/5s most of the time. Every time I do this it either scares Lights off or kills them xD
That's the beautiful part about this build; it's good at killing anything and everything outside of Med vs Assault brawl, and all you have to do is give up your speed/leg armor! <_<

Also, I took a look at your build. I'd rather have the pinpoint damage of that laser to be honest. If anything I'd get rid of a heat sink for more leg armor if I was worried. I only get legged every so often in my SHD, so I don't really worry about it. By the time it loses a leg I'm dead anyways. But that's just my experience, to each thier own.

P.S. sorry for off-topic necro, just saw the date.

Edited by Pezzer, 15 March 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#36 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:09 AM

View Postwintersborn, on 08 March 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

Thanks.

It's the best light killer because in addition to killing lights, you have to be able to deal with the other mediums, heavies and assaults on the opposing team.

On top of that the Shadow Hawk's hitboxes make it a lot harder to kill than a Griffin.

Survivability goes a long way in this game.

I mean maybe if you were in a game against nothing but lights, I could make an argument for a Griffin. But otherwise Shadow Hawk all the way.

It's the best Medium, period.

#37 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

2D2 Is a Boss
Just did 700+ damage in a game, and this is a medium!

My loadout is something like
4xstreaks 1 ac10 2 medium lasers
xl280
Beagle

I have not tried the new mediums though.but i feel the speed is enough, the ac10 makes the difference.

Edited by deanon, 18 March 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#38 HarugCZ

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hello all!
Im new in this game, and Im Battletech fan! I want try Shadowhawk, so I try find best chasis. Can anyone give hit me? Ah and one more question; I hear, in this game are relevant only heavy and assault and sometimes light mechs, medium is useless. Its true? -.-
Thx for all answers!

#39 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Not one bit. Especially with the upcoming 3 light 3 medium 3 heavy 3 assault launch module, Mediums will always be a crucial part of the game. BTW, to those of you mastering the Shadow Hawks, you'd want to maybe look on reddit for the post on leaked patch notes, we're getting 2 battlemasters (one that is similar to the Banshee 3S, and the other that is dependent on missiles and energy), 2 Locusts (one more energy variant and missile variant with variety), 2 Shadow Hawks (if you all want to master these kinds, this will be worthwhile, one energy heavy torso with missile heavy other torso, and one more balanced 2D2, one more energy and one less missile), and finally the Thunderbolt (ballistic and energy dependent).

#40 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Light-hunting Shadow Hawks? Typically, something with streaks, BAP, a couple mediums, and a LB10X. Might be some room in there for armor.

Hard to do with the STD engine, and XL engines put you at risk. There's no perfect solution for this. But I can run a decent -5M like that, or sac the LB10X for an AC5 to run all 4 SSRM2s on a 2D2, all with an XL275 and a couple JJs. Not the fastest, and not Kintaro speed to be sure. But more flexible than the KTO light hunters, with JJs and a good 3-way mix of weapon types.

The Shadow Hawk was one of the first 3025-era TT battlemechs, and MWO continues to prove the SHD chassis's worth. It is one of the most flexible, capable mechs in the game, without a doubt. If only it weren't so doggone BIG...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users