Wolverine Builds

44 replies to this topic

#21 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Heres a fun one

2 Ac 5 - 150 ac 5 ammo - 3 Srm 2 - 200 Srm 2 ammo - 82.6 kph - 7 jumpjets - 320 armor
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d3626c66fbe6295

Or - Lrm 15 artemis - Lrm 10 artemis - Lrm 5 artemis
7 Jumpjets - 1260 Lrm ammo - TAG - 92.3 KPH - 288 armor

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...71dde467e55f547

or 3 Lrm 10 artemis at 87.5 kph
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...49840cea69c9dfc

Edited by kesuga7, 08 April 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#22 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

I've tried a 3x SSRM, ML & 2 ERLL but it didn't work out so great, with one exception where I did some 550 damage. Then I tried 3x SSRM, ERLL, 2x ML & BAP, with a 315XL. Did marginally better, but still nothing impressive. I'm starting to think I just suck at brawling.
So, since I am an old Catapult pilot, I decided to try LRMs. I'm finally getting consistently decent games (when the team doesn't die around me in the first minute).

WVR-7K

Chain fire when you don't suspect concentrated AMS. Be wary the build gets pretty hot, especially when you keep firing the lasers too.

Meanwhile, I scrounged up enough cash for a 340XL engine, I'd like to try 2x ASRM4. Not sure if I should combine them with 2x ERLL or LPL & 2x ML...

#23 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

View PosteFTy, on 09 April 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

Could try swapping the 10s for a 20 as 1xALRM20 weighs less than 2xALRM10, but then you are trapped into "chain-firing" the 20 whether you like it or not.
Drastically reduces your heat output (mostly because of the slower firing of the 20) but also limits you more
Higher average sustained DPS than the 3x10s according to the weaponlab though...
6.73 for the 20+10 (with extra HS in the engine) (4 minutes to overheat)
5.37 for the 3x10s (41 seconds to overheat)

Be something I (or you) would need to play with though - and would probably come down to person taste :)

Edit: added time to overheat - but 3x10s gives you ghost heat issues which makes it look worse on paper.
(avoided with chain firing though - which is happening with the 20 anyways? ugh)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 09 April 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#24 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 09 April 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

Could try swapping the 10s for a 20 as 1xALRM20 weighs less than 2xALRM10, but then you are trapped into "chain-firing" the 20 whether you like it or not.
Drastically reduces your heat output (mostly because of the slower firing of the 20) but also limits you more
Higher average sustained DPS than the 3x10s according to the weaponlab though...
6.73 for the 20+10 (with extra HS in the engine) (4 minutes to overheat)
5.37 for the 3x10s (41 seconds to overheat)

Be something I (or you) would need to play with though - and would probably come down to person taste :)

Edit: added time to overheat - but 3x10s gives you ghost heat issues which makes it look worse on paper.
(avoided with chain firing though - which is happening with the 20 anyways? ugh)

You can also do this which allows you to fit BAP and an extra heatsink whilst improving your sustained DPS to 7.29. As well as being unable to overheat when firing just the LRM's (31mins to overheat).

Only issue is firing 20 + 10 missiles is more susceptible to massed AMS.

#25 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Interesting idea, but it'd cost me 600k just to try it (I don't think I own any ALRM20). Frankly I'm considering dropping the ASRM4 experiment as well, as that also needs 440k, and I think I might just keep acummulating C-Bills for a 6R or 6K...

#26 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PosteFTy, on 09 April 2014 - 05:02 PM, said:

Interesting idea, but it'd cost me 600k just to try it (I don't think I own any ALRM20). Frankly I'm considering dropping the ASRM4 experiment as well, as that also needs 440k, and I think I might just keep acummulating C-Bills for a 6R or 6K...

You probably don't want to hear this, but running two ASRM6's an XL350 and some MLas is hilarious fun on the WVR-7K. It's like a cooler, very jumpy and ludicrously fast HBK-4SP.

Better off getting the other two though for the 2x basic goodness.

Edited by Lunatech, 09 April 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#27 MadFJohn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

well this explains why i been finding killing the wolverine simple to kill now days look at the XL on all of those. i will say the 6k needs to have a large XL with the lack of JJ. i will need to see what other set ups all of you have.

#28 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

View PostMadFJohn, on 09 April 2014 - 06:48 PM, said:

well this explains why i been finding killing the wolverine simple to kill now days look at the XL on all of those. i will say the 6k needs to have a large XL with the lack of JJ. i will need to see what other set ups all of you have.

Except the Wolverine doesn't do zombie-mode as well as a Centurion. When I drive the LRM30 version, at 81kph it really doesn't matter if the engine is XL or not, most of the time people just shoot to core me. Oddly enough I think I only got legged once or twice since I got the thing. And if you go for a standard engine you're either slow (85 tops) or you won't have any weapons worth a damn (may as well go for a light mech).
The mech is -big- for a medium. If you go up close and you're slow, you don't have the armour of an assault mech to stand up in a fight. Therefore, you need either speed or range.

#29 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

Wolverine's my baby, and I'm liking some of the builds on here for the 6k, which I eventually just started running with dual PPCs because I couldn't really find a build I liked. Here's my Phoenix build that I adore - I use it to chase down Jenners and other Lights and play it kind of like a giant Spider:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dfd0ed7bcdb39a3

#30 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

No guts no glory my friend! Imagine if you had killed him!

#31 HurricaneZ

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

In building the 6R I started with a 300XL,engine which has the best speed for the weight ratio.: Since I also have the shadow hawk and the griffin, I have multiple XL engines I can swap around.
280XL is 14 tons, speed of 91
300 15.5 97
320 18.5 103
350 22 113
As I move up the speed for each 6 Kph increase, the engine weight goes up 1.5 tons, then 3 tons, so there is a sweet spot right at 300.

I also wanted to take advantage of the unique 2B slots in the arm which carry either 2 x AC2, or an AC10 or LBX for 12 tons plus ammo of either 3 or 4 tons depending on which I pick so that's 15 tons so far..
This leaves just enough space for the 3M slots of which the lightest load would be 3 x SSRM2 and a BAP plus at least 1 ammo. so that's 7 tons.
After the load out, there's only a tiny bit of wiggle room 2.5tons left for JJets and AMS.

Sure I could drop the ballistics weight, but why carry anything less than an LBX? The ultraAC5 is a bit too unreliable by itself and the AC5 doesn't seem to have the shock and awe of the 2 x AC2s (if you include the range bonus). Even if I do drop the ballistics, that means I want to max out the missiles, but there are so many other mediums that can carry 3 SRM6s (9 or 12 tons/artemis)

So I'm stuck with 300XL, 2 x AC2 and 3 x SSRM2 and I can't seem to find anyway to optimize it any better for the weight.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dfc892c76a46cd1

Edited by HurricaneZ, 11 April 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#32 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

I've been having a hard time with the -6K. Part of me wants to make the most of that high engine cap, so at least for now that's my starting point. But it just really seems difficult to find something that makes the most of the speed and the peculiar hardpoint combination.

Lately, I've been running the ML power fist, a flamer in the head, SRM6 and AMS. It just doesn't really cut it, the 15 DHS that I have jammed in there can't really handle the heat of a good brawl. The theory was that it'd be able to get in and hit and get out, but it hasn't really panned out that way.

I wish it had more than one missile point. One streak is useless, and I don't like running LRMs with less then two launchers (one big and one small), especially since it only has 10 tubes,

#33 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 11 April 2014 - 06:38 PM, said:

I wish it had more than one missile point. One streak is useless, and I don't like running LRMs with less then two launchers (one big and one small), especially since it only has 10 tubes,

I dropped the M entirely - stuck PL (Med? Large? I forget, might change back and forth) and run it like I do Yenlo (pulse for the shorter duration)

Still not my favorite, and bloody awkward to use well. :)

#34 HurricaneZ

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

Agreed with Bunkminster and Shar Wolf, the only way I could level 6K was to use an LRM20, TAG and ERPPC and stay as far away from the RED team. Its just too big to use with 4xML in the arm and 350+XL. You can hit, but you can't run very far. 3 x LL was workable, but I was moving pretty slow.

As for the 7K, I also used it as an LRM boat, but I went big on the LRMs with artemis,
1 x LRM20,
1 x LRM15
1 x LRM5
plus a TAG and 280 XL with 5 tons of ammo, had to cut armor from the LEGs to make it fit.
It will fire as well as catapult, first volley of 25 and second volley of 15, Cuts like a hot knife though butter, but you have to make each volley count, since I only had 12 an a half shots, and I didn't bother hitting anything small, or anyone that was being ganged up on.

Anyway I only kept the 6R for the unique arm ballistics.

Edited by HurricaneZ, 12 April 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#35 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

Finally got the 6R variant too. Initially tried AC5, ML & 3xSSRM. wasn't much of a success. I switched to 2x AC2, ML & 2x SSRM. Damage per match isn't impressive but I'm getting kills now and the two ACs on chainfire make a lot of people keep their heads down, which helps the team (especially when they come back out gunning for me).

WVR-6R

I might try 340XL w LBX later on. Right now I think I'd rather save some C-Bills for an Advanced Zoom module...

#36 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

@eFTy: Do you have a 300XL? That 315 robs you of usable tonnage.

#37 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

No, I use the 315XL I bought for Catapults. I also have 340 & 275 available. 340 won't let me fit enough weaponry and the 275 makes me way too slow. Switching to a 300 would give me 2.5 tons for the loss of 5kph. That's what - one more streak and a heatsink or extra ton of ammo. I only ran out of ammo two times so far.

#38 Plaguetongue

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:14 AM

View PostBanky, on 19 March 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Here's what I run on the 6R. It's like running a smaller, faster, more agile Ilya (with streaks). Easily my favorite mech from the Sabre reinforcement pack...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3161f06df19977c

its pretty much the same as my Group support Wolverine

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3190ecd5843d7fb

this mech is ment to support a group of heavy/assault mechs by fending off inc light mechs using streak missiles but also help the group with firepower (AC5) against larger mechs and protecting from artillery. added a medium laser aswell cuz i had room for it and heat efficency was pretty good, lasers are always welcome in my weapon arsenal =)

feedback ty =)

#39 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

@Plague: I think your design has too much ammo. How about JJ and more armor?

#40 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 15 April 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

@Plague: I think your design has too much ammo. How about JJ and more armor?

Any mech that can have jump jets should have jump jets.

And I agree on too much ammo - I usually grab one ton per two streaks, rounded up. Especially since you have three tons buried in that underarmored arm - you're asking for trouble.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users