20 replies to this topic

#1 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,574 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

I have just lost a monster of a response to someone's request for input on the Guides section of the forums. Again. I recognize that it may be advantageous to log people off after they have been inactive for a time, but it's frustrating in the extreme when I lose the product of a huge amount of research and effort by hitting the post button while the web page tells me I'm still logged on.

I really spent a long time on that response. I had multiple Smurfy's mockups to illustrate my points; I'd formatted my submission to be more readable; I'd edited myself to enhance the flow of my arguments. After all, what is written without effort is read without pleasure - but now it's gone, because I clicked the post button without psychically realizing that my forum account was logged out.

Sometimes, I can stay logged in for hours on end; at other times, I have to log back in several times in a relatively shorter period. Regardless of the cause, the effect is frustrating and seems capriciously unnecessary.

Can we please get a dialogue box/popup to allow us to log back in without losing over an hour of work and research? :)

#2 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

Yeah PGI, you already got the licence extension. You no longer need to artificially inflate your forum login numbers to show that people play the game.

#3 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:05 AM

I always ctrl+a / ctrl+c before submitting longer posts for that very same reason.

#4 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,574 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Yeah, me too. But occasionally I forget, particularly if I've been crafting a response for a while.

Rascal... How would extra logins inflate the number of players, leaving aside the fact that you don't have any evidence for your childish accusation? Games don't report forum login rates to claim players; they report active accounts - and PGI has consistently resisted releasing its player numbers to the public in any case. While there are valid complaints about this game, when your dissatisfaction becomes a starting point for your reasoning instead of a conclusion, you need to sit down and do some honest introspection with yourself.

#5 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Sessions are currently set for 24 hours from last activity and/or when you close all tabs relating to mwomercs.com. Whichever comes first.

If you login, leave a tab open for 23 hours, spend 1.5 hours writing a forum post you would be logged out.

Each time you navigate to any part of our website you reset your session time-out back to 24 hours.

My own trick is to refresh a page before posting. Helps check your session state and as an added bonus resets your timeout.

I hope this helps.

#6 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 25 March 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

Sessions are currently set for 24 hours from last activity and/or when you close all tabs relating to mwomercs.com. Whichever comes first.

If you login, leave a tab open for 23 hours, spend 1.5 hours writing a forum post you would be logged out.

Each time you navigate to any part of our website you reset your session time-out back to 24 hours.

My own trick is to refresh a page before posting. Helps check your session state and as an added bonus resets your timeout.

I hope this helps.

I've heard this before, but for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to apply to my experience with the site. I get logged out every 24 hours regardless of whether or not I've been active on the site- as well as occasional seemingly random logouts. I've actually tried the page refresh before posting, and it's no guarantee that the post will go through. The only sure method seems to be ctrl+a ctrl+c.

Using Firefox 28.0.

#7 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,574 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thanks, Kyle, that might help... But it would really help to have a check in the website code if possible. Admittedly this is anecdotal, but I recall having the page reset itself more than once every 24 hours - I'm certain of it. That might have been with an older settings list, or gremlins, or whatnot, but having a safety net actually built into the web page seems like it would be better than having to game the system by copy/pasting or refreshing the page. :lol:

PS: blue post background pretty. ooooh...

#8 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 25 March 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

We understand that the settings say that. However, the time is not saved properly. You can get shadow-logged out while being active much more often than every 24 hours.

#9 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:46 AM

I logged in at 7:22 am EST this morning. around 7:45-8:00am est it shadow-logged out while being active. it's always the same time every day.

#10 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,574 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

Well, I'm sleeping at 0700-0800 EST, so that can't be the only time.

#11 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:11 AM

Are you sure you don't have anything that deletes cookies?

If you close your browser tabs you would be logged out.

I'll help you guys investigate further if I can solve it for you.

#12 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

FF clears the history, cache, and site offline data. Cookies and active log ins are set to stay alive. Cookies get accepted for any amount of time. mwomercs.com is on the cookie whitelist. I use this for all websites, and all others seem to remember me correctly.

#13 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostKyle Polulak, on 27 March 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

I logged in shortly after getting in too work 7:10 am, I didn't close down fire fox or the tabs, went to move to another section and it showed me logged out. what would delete the cookies automatically every day at the same time?

#14 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Perhaps you guys are managing sessions on your own, but I just assumed that your timeouts were set at default, as in 20 or 24 mins depending on OS.

#15 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,574 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Hm... I do delete cookies periodically, but nothing I have installed should be doing it automatically. I'll have to watch out for whether there's a corellation, or something I'm doing that I don't realize.

#16 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

Maybe he has kids? My kids deleted all the cookies in the house and I just went grocery shopping.

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,574 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:52 PM

Posted Image

#18 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 12 January 2018 - 11:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

I just had the urge to become a necromancer

#19 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:18 AM

Why was this thread tagged as "answered"?

It's not answered. It's still not functioning as intended after 4+ years.

#20 Mighty Spike

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,589 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:15 AM

View PostTarogato, on 14 January 2018 - 04:18 AM, said:

Why was this thread tagged as "answered"?

It's not answered. It's still not functioning as intended after 4+ years.

Yep ,absolutly right. Still extremly annoying that permanent log out while posting. No matter if i logged in few minutes ago and visited 3 -4 freds before posting.
btw. FIX THAT God ##### SEARCH function, its since years totaly broken.. Show some love for your own Homepage.

Edited by Mighty Spike, 14 January 2018 - 06:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users