Looking For Easy-Play Medium For My Daughter

102 replies to this topic

#1 JimEvolved

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

I have started to allow my daughter, 10, to play a few rounds of MWO on my account. She got through the tutorials ok . . . still learning to play, but you know how kids are she'll probably be better than me shortly. In the live rounds she's played, she's tried some of the trial mechs and also the mechs I own. I'm a pretty new player so I have 7 bays in which I currently have the CN9 reward from a couple weeks back, 3 Cataphracts on which I'm trying to get the Elite skills, and 2 HBKs (4P, GI) (having already gotten Master unlocked).

I just sold my third HBK, not needing it any more. That opens up one more slot for a new mech, and I told her I would let her pick one out.

That being said, I'd like to encourage her to get one that has some specific qualities that I think would be helpful for an inexperienced gamer her age.

First, she wants something that either is a medium mech, or feels like a medium mech from a speed/maneuverability standpoint. I support this. She's still getting used to cover, although she's getting better at backing up larger teammate mechs (without getting in their way if they want to retreat). So she wants something that feels maneuverable so that it's easier to get to her teammates on the map and get out of the line of fire, especially when she makes a mistake.

Second, I'd like her to have something that uses mostly beam weapons but is very, very forgiving on heat management. Again, not being an experienced gamer, she's not well-versed yet on leading her targets, so ballistics are something we'll work her into. And missiles, being good at that takes a better understanding of positioning and patience than I think she's interested in at this point. With lasers you get the target lined up, in range, and pew pew.

Jump jets optional.

Once I get my elites on Cata I'll buy two other variants of whatever we get here so that we can get the efficiency bonus.

Thoughts? Medium mech, mainly laser-based, forgiving heat management build. I'd give her my HBK 4P with a modified build but I think I'd prefer something for her that doesn't just have a big SHOOT ME target on it carrying most of her weapons, and besides I think she wants something she considers "hers".

Potential candidates: BJ-1X, CN9-AL, HBK-4SP, TBT-5J, WVR-6K. There's a number of missile hardpoints in there, but I think we can tinker with them to focus on the energy weapons with additional heat management, max armor, AMS. Part of why I'm posting is because I'm still fairly new myself so I don't have experience with some of these chassis.

Thanks much!

#2 Guilty Gun

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

Could always loud up the Shadowhawks. A little high on the skill department with jump jets though.

The Hunchback chassis has some variety (one with 9 medium lasers), and solid armor to compensate for positioning mistakes. That said, heat management is a big deal, so better get doubles.

I would also suggest the Raven light mech, too. ECM allows your daughter to contribute directly to heavier, slower mechs, while also being able to pack some large lasers so she feels like she is contributing to the damage charts from a safe distance as well. Teamwork is great for a young person to learn early.

Good luck in her gaming!

Edited by Guilty Gun, 25 March 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#3 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Well, MWO doesn't have an 'easy' mode for any mech. To be honest, right now the least fatal, most safe would be any light that goes over 140kph and has ECM. Other than that, look at who the meta mechs are. Thhey're proven to be most often the best survivable mechs: Highlander, Victor, Battlemaster, DDC Atlas.

In Mediums, it's a 55 tonner or nothing for the easier mechs to play, I know how everyone has their pet builds, but I'm considering what you see competatively. I'm not saying load it out as a meta, but the chassis are the most survivable.

The safest style of gameplay is still an LRM mech or poptart. the hardest is brawling assault or light. LRMs is the way to start learning this game though. Don't let the die hards tell you otherwise.

#4 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

There is no such thing as an "easy to play" Med. The Med's are outclassed in speed and firepower. If she wants something easy to play, try a Phract.

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostJimEvolved, on 25 March 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

TBT-5J

View PostKjudoon, on 25 March 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

The safest style of gameplay is still an LRM mech or poptart. the hardest is brawling assault or light. LRMs is the way to start learning this game though. Don't let the die hards tell you otherwise.

Out of the list I find myself leaning towards the Trench-bucket -and I am not sure why as I have yet to use them, or even really see them get used.

Before he went to college I ran with a fellow who used them regularly - and while you probably won't be using his builds, they did make a fairly good support mech. (that was before the 55 ton mechs though - so no idea how they relate now)
If nothing else, it would probably label her as a low priority target. :lol:

The CN9-AL is also fairly solid - but probably would work better as a light hunter.

#6 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

Probably a 55-tonner with 2x LLAS and 8-12 SRMs. If you have the money, a Shadow Hawk with a 300XL, BAP and 4xSSRM2.

I don't recommend the BJ-1X or Cicadas because breaking cover to get in a brawl is very dangerous right now with all the missile spam.

ECM Spiders last a long time on the battlefield, you should definitely consider that for her.

Edited by Spheroid, 25 March 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#7 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

maybe the KTO-18 or 20 with lazors, streaks and a big engine? the 20 has more beams, the 18 more streaks. both fairly easy and forgiving, and will keep the enemy lights running and away from your team's heavy hitters.

#8 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

get her a streak kintaro, or a laser blackjack, or a ecm cicada with literally any build. you can't go wrong with cicada

if you want her to do well but build no skill whatsoever get her a LRM boat.

#9 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

For new players I always reccoment the Hunchback. You already own a P, load it up with 5 ML and 4 SL(to help with heat) and the biggest engine that'll fit. I like Trebs, but really to get the most out of them they need to run XLs, but they are fun mechs.

Getting away from durability I might suggest Raven 3L since it has ECM.....I keep looking for something else like Quickdraw 5k or Cat K2 but you really need XLs for a new player and taking durability and standard engines into consideration I keep going back to hunchbacks and centurions, hard to go wrong with either of those.

#10 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

GRF-1N (easy mode)

Just a pair of Large Lasers on a highly maneuverable platform with good visibility. Doesn't much better than that to learn on.

(just teach her to twist away (roll with the punch) when being attacked -- good advise for real life as well)

Edited by focuspark, 25 March 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#11 MadSapper1234

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

CDA-3M

Get her to stay back and take pot shots.. watch for heat.

If you are worried about heat go with an MG ECM spider. Tell her not to fire until you are right behind them.

#12 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

@Focus: I think that is actually oversinked. I would use a smaller engine and add some missiles. You can build a simple dual LLAS trainer on a much lighter frame.

Edited by Spheroid, 25 March 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#13 Skexy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:35 AM

Why not start her on her own account and get four fresh bays for her? If you're set on a medium you'll be able to afford it and probably outfit it before getting halfway through the cadet bonus matches.

-skexy

#14 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostGtbuck, on 25 March 2014 - 11:20 AM, said:

For new players I always reccoment the Hunchback. You already own a P, load it up with 5 ML and 4 SL(to help with heat) and the biggest engine that'll fit. I like Trebs, but really to get the most out of them they need to run XLs, but they are fun mechs.

Some of the worst advice I ever took on this site was using a Hunchie as my first mech.
Reasons why:
Slow
Main weapon located in RT which is easily shot off
brawling is difficult for new players
4sp needs to brawl but again no speed
SLOW!
XL engines are poor in them

#15 Viken

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

I'd like to reinforce the Spider idea. They're fast, have Jump Jets, and have good heat management due to having so few energy hardpoints. The champion spider has a very nice setup, pewpew with laser and heat free MGs for dakka. There's also an ECM variant which will allow for much easier maneuvering with LRMpocalypse 6 (or whatever number we're on now). The only problem is if she REALLY likes the Spider, the 5V is not a very good mech. By the time she get the 5D and 5K Basic'd, she may have a better understanding of how to play, what to look for, and be able to compensate for the 5V's problems.

Skexy also brings up a good point as well. The Cadet Bonus and 4 mechbays of her own to play with might be worth it.

edit: redundant wording.

Edited by Viken, 25 March 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#16 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

You can't go wrong with BJ-3.
Biggest STD engine, jump jets, AMS, 6 ML, 17 DHS.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...979ca71bcf69f81

Or if she'd like to have a Hunchback, 4J makes an excellent, fast and very cool 6 ML mech without the hunch. That's the beauty of it, strip the missiles and the hunch is completely gone.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e36dfef6c025334

#17 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 25 March 2014 - 11:34 AM, said:

@Focus: I think that is actually oversinked. I would use a smaller engine and add some missiles.

For you and I, yes - but the OP said this is for his new-to-mwo 10 yo daughter and specifically asked for lasers without heat issues.

#18 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

For a laser boat that easily escapes the BJ-1X is powerful at that job with either 8x medium laser or 4x med lasers with 2x erlarger lasers.

A mech that acts like a medium but isn't a medium mech is a quickdraw or dragon that sports more armor than mediums.

#19 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

I agree with the Quickdraw suggestion. The K with the stock 300 STD can pack quite a few heatsinks and still go 81 kph.

#20 JimEvolved

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

Thanks so much to everyone for the good ideas to consider, lots of good content here to think about.

As for her own account, which is a separate but important issue . . . that's less of a technical issue because obviously yes it would be nice for her to have her own bays and then I could focus on my own bays and stats, etc., and more of a parenting issue where we're still easing into the idea of still pretty young kids having their own accounts on social, connected games whose player base is mostly adults and where there isn't much of anything by way of parental controls. Which is fine, I don't expect a game like MWO to have tools like that beyond the terms of service, but it does mean I have to be aware that she could be directly exposed to stuff that is not intended for, or even appropriate for, someone who is that young. If she's playing under my account, the risks aren't eliminated but as a parent I have just a little bit more direct visibility and control over her activity. As she gets older, yes, she'll start to get her own accounts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users