• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 27 March 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Wont move along. Im going to do what I can for new players who visits these forums. Hunchies should NOT be recommended for them and they are badly designed mechs for MWO.

Seeing threads like this and Hunchie fan boyz is what wasted a lot of my new player CBills.

You better follow me around then because I recommend Huncbacks to new players all the time. I hope you have a lot of spare time

Hunchbacks:
  • They are extremely diverse as a chassis allowing for ballistics based, energy based and missile based platforms to be tried out for new players.
  • They are fast, nimble and teach the value of torso twisting to protect vital areas (the hunch).
  • And they are cheap and can be purchases easily by new players
But hey, if you'd rather new players not learn how to play the game properly I'd say that is pretty mean. No one is saying the Hunchback is better than the Shadowhawk. But you are saying that the Hunchback is pure garbage and you are simply wrong.

Sources: 6 mastered Hunchbacks, 3 mastered Shadowhawks, 2 mastered Blackjacks, 3 elited Griffins, 2 elited Kintaros, 2 elited Cicadas and maybe some others sprinkled in there.

Edited by EyeOne, 27 March 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#42 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Really - it's only a lack on jumpjets which is holding the hunchie from being top tier.

You can't go with a big XL engine like with some mediums - but for a standard engine medium - if it had JJs - it'd be top tier.

That has more to do with JJs still being OP than the hunchie sucking.

#43 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 26 March 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

Sounds like you are new to the game but from the number of your posts....I may think something else.

View Postmogs01gt, on 26 March 2014 - 05:28 PM, said:

I love all these forum trolls talking up the hunchie yet you see one in about every 3 or 4 games...Yet there are hawks and cents in every game...

View Postmogs01gt, on 27 March 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Wont move along. Im going to do what I can for new players who visits these forums. Hunchies should NOT be recommended for them and they are badly designed mechs for MWO.

Seeing threads like this and Hunchie fan boyz is what wasted a lot of my new player CBills.

These kind of posts are actually worse than trolling. It is just plain bad naive nonsense.

#44 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

I dropped against you in your hunch this morning, and you did pretty well from what I recall; I'm glad to see it working out for you!

#45 Syndrome Stoned

• PipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

Honestly I love my Hunchback, I Mastered all of them and still own 4 of them, my 4G has an LBX10 and 2 Large Laser, my 4P is a MLboat, but my 4SP is where I laugh at people, I dropped the SRMs on it, and put 4 count em, 4 Large Lasers on that bad boy, i can Cut though any mechs armor with easy up to the assaults, they normally blow my shoulder off and take half my lasers with it. and with the 3/3/3/3 patch coming i have no intention on giving up my Hunchies. I use my Hunch as a mid line mech, I wait for the heavies to advance and as soon as the other teams mediums show up i just blow them apart with the Hunches great Brawler ability, Also like the one guy said the Hunchbacks can turn their torso far enough back and if you dont have Arm lock on you can run away from someone and still fire at them with your arm weapons even if they are standing directly behind the path of your legs.

#46 Dymanite

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hunchbacks are great, i love the ac20 4G.

Most models arent that newbie friendly though since most firepower is located in the hunch, making it a primary target.

The 4SP is a good starter mech, I wouldnt recommend the other variants.

#47 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

View PostEyeOne, on 27 March 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

Hunchbacks:
  • They are extremely diverse as a chassis allowing for ballistics based, energy based and missile based platforms to be tried out for new players.
  • They are fast, nimble and teach the value of torso twisting to protect vital areas (the hunch).
  • And they are cheap and can be purchases easily by new players

About the only thing you have accurate is their diversity and being cheap. Cheap doesnt make them C-Bill efficient. The biggest issue with a new player wasting their cbills on a Hunchie is their 200std engine. That is flat out TOO slow. For 500k more, you can get a Treb that is faster and stock comes with LRM15s to rack up assists per game for more C-Bills.

Good mechs are ones that are cbill efficient, meta compatible and game mechanic friendly. HBKs are none of those.

This is forums biggest issue is fan boyz pushing mechs onto new players instead of taking a step back and helping them be efficient at the game and not having to fight it like I did when I listened to fan boyz recommending 4SP's...

#48 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 28 March 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

This is forums biggest issue is fan boyz pushing mechs onto new players instead of taking a step back and helping them be efficient at the game and not having to fight it like I did when I listened to fan boyz recommending 4SP's...

:huh:

Hey whatever, to each their own.

I don't understand what crusade you think you are on, but calling Hunch advocates "fan boyz" and blaming others for your poor performance in them makes you seem like a "hate-a" err..."haterz" *shrug*, anyway, that limits your credability and undermines your point.

I'm glad you find better luck in other mediums, hey find and use whatever works. I have great luck and get good results in my Hunchbacks (especially the 4P).

Ok, troll feeding time is over I suppose. :)

#49 Phromethius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

people forget about pilot skill. I am no JMAN but I own 4 mastered Hunchies and I do quite well with all of them. Just because in spreadsheets the Shadowhawk seems better, doesn't mean it is with any given pilot. Hunchbacks have versatility to them as well. I have put ppcs and large lasers on my 4SP for **** and giggles. It works. I have put small pulses and machine guns into my Grid Iron, (its essentially the G) for trolling. I won't ever buy the Shadow Hawk strictly because of its extremely borked scaling.

A great pilot can shine in a Hunchback and I think the bragging rights that come with that far outweighs the rewards received from a average pilot in a more metagame efficient mech.

#50 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 28 March 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

About the only thing you have accurate is their diversity and being cheap. Cheap doesnt make them C-Bill efficient. The biggest issue with a new player wasting their cbills on a Hunchie is their 200std engine. That is flat out TOO slow. For 500k more, you can get a Treb that is faster and stock comes with LRM15s to rack up assists per game for more C-Bills.

Good mechs are ones that are cbill efficient, meta compatible and game mechanic friendly. HBKs are none of those.

The first mech I mastered in the game was the hunchback. It was a very cheap and easy mech to master. In addition, the upgrades as I was testing out different builds, were cheap to buy, and therefore forgiving to a new player who is trying new things. You pick up a mech like the shadowhawk and you better know what you're doing when you fork out the money for a xl engine as a new player because forking out 4-5 million in cbills is not so cbill efficient when you pick the wrong one! I'd rather have a HBK-4G that comes with a AC20 than a treb with LRMs. You want something thats meta compatible? Put an AC20 on a mech and thats a pretty good start. As everyone else has said, the only drawback is the lack of jumpjets.

#51 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 28 March 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

Ok, troll feeding time is over I suppose. :)

Yeah, I give up.

#52 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

This thread really show whats wrong with this game/forum for new players and why not many players stay around. Everyone wants to post about what works for them and blah blah, then once they get shown they are wrong, they resort to "you are a bad ____pilot".

STOP! Seriously stop using opinions when it comes to CBill efficient, game mechanics and meta.

View PostSoulscour, on 28 March 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

The first mech I mastered in the game was the hunchback.  It was a very cheap and easy mech to master.  In addition, the upgrades as I was testing out different builds, were cheap to buy, and therefore forgiving to a new player who is trying new things.  You pick up a mech like the shadowhawk and you better know what you're doing when you fork out the money for a xl engine as a new player because forking out 4-5 million in cbills is not so cbill efficient when you pick the wrong one!  I'd rather have a HBK-4G that comes with a AC20 than a treb with LRMs.  You want something thats meta compatible?  Put an AC20 on a mech and thats a pretty good start.  As everyone else has said, the only drawback is the lack of jumpjets.

Hawks are fairly cost effective and can meta shift decently. You cant really be "wrong" when you get a 275std  out of it. Plus its hard to put a value on JJ's.

Edited by mogs01gt, 28 March 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#53 Phromethius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

See the problem is mogs01gt, you see nothing but opinion but that is far from the case. One post about what works is anecdote and opinion. When SEVERAL players post similar experiences counter to your opinion, that becomes a trend. When the trend is FURTHER supported it can be reliable game play experience for a new player.

Your nay saying isn't backed by many people here on this thread. Your opinion is not yet a trend.

(there that is some PRIME CUT logical troll food!)

#54 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 28 March 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

This thread really show whats wrong with this game/forum for new players and why not many players stay around. Everyone wants to post about what works for them and blah blah, then once they get shown they are wrong, they resort to "you are a bad ____pilot".

STOP! Seriously stop using opinions when it comes to CBill efficient, game mechanics and meta.

Hawks are fairly cost effective and can meta shift decently. You cant really be "wrong" when you get a 275std out of it. Plus its hard to put a value on JJ's.

You haven't actually managed to show anyone in this thread to be wrong yet. None of your arguments have held any water.

Edited by EyeOne, 28 March 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#55 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 30 March 2014 - 03:28 PM

HBK-4SP --> http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3d417d64f593060

#56 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

This thread has made me nostalgic; hunchbacks were the first mech I mastered too, and I think I need to start driving them again.

#57 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

View PostSoulscour, on 28 March 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

The first mech I mastered in the game was the hunchback. It was a very cheap and easy mech to master. In addition, the upgrades as I was testing out different builds, were cheap to buy, and therefore forgiving to a new player who is trying new things. You pick up a mech like the shadowhawk and you better know what you're doing when you fork out the money for a xl engine as a new player because forking out 4-5 million in cbills is not so cbill efficient when you pick the wrong one! I'd rather have a HBK-4G that comes with a AC20 than a treb with LRMs. You want something thats meta compatible? Put an AC20 on a mech and thats a pretty good start. As everyone else has said, the only drawback is the lack of jumpjets.

This right here. The Shadowhawk is "better" but it's very expensive to get the most out of. My only complaint about the Hunchie is that it's a medium mech in a situation where the matchmaker can't provide for the class properly. That will change come launch module though.

The Hunchback is much more diverese and allows you to become familiar with many styles of play.

#58 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

This is my default HBK-4P loadout.

Awesome HBK-4P

Edited by Prosperity Park, 30 March 2014 - 06:25 PM.

#59 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 30 March 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

Awesome HBK-4P

Hilarious and I bet it works fine given the current metagame (except when the lights find you). My only question is why beagle probe? Wouldn't a AMS or even another heatsink + .5 tons armor be better?

#60 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 30 March 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

Awesome HBK-4P

I'm pretty sure I ran across you a couple of time this weekend. It was someone in a PPC Hunch-4P anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users