- - - - -

Hiding During A Match

71 replies to this topic

#21 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 25 March 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

Well the guy who posted your co ordinates has certainly breached the treachery part of the CoC, you can (and imo should) report him accordingly.

No player is permitted to provide info on team mates.

Unless there is any more info, I suspect the guy claiming to be a mod was not, he should probably get reported too for impersonating PGI staff.

In all honesty, this is a prickly subject but your description is ENTIRELY within the CoC as I understand it.

Some people don't like it and they are entitled to their opinion, they are also entitled to select a game mode that has a timer or points end game mechanism (ie, not Skirmish). But if they let their opinion breach the CoC, regrettably it is them who is in the wrong.

I had experience over the weekend where a player that was on a trial stalker kept shouting my coordinates to the enemy because I was the last man standing.

He was killed because he didn't spot an ECM raven team creeping up behind him. The name of the player starts with an "E" but hasn't been active since that day.

So instead of getting myself killed, my idea was to ran around and flank the enemy but because of this idiot "E", there is no way I can do it. So in the end, I took 2 down with me instead of the possibility of more.

So this "E" player was sore to be killed in a trial stalker (that he know nuts about piloting). I still have the screen-shot; Will he be ban even if I am the only one that reports him (for breeching code of conduct)?

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 25 March 2014 - 09:40 PM, said:

If you move, attempt to engage, you have fulfilled your participation in the match no matter if you have been successful or not. If you then go shut down in a corner because of any reason, save sitting there taunting through text (which is a violation of TOS) you aren't violating TOS.

Reminds me of closed beta. But this was for two reasons: 1) repair and rearm. 2) Surrender and/or victory by base was still an option. Oddly enough the two reasons tied together, no one would want to fight an impossible battle and with good sportsmanship surrenders were a viable option. As were:
  • Back stabbings/false surrenders.
  • Blending in the background -- my god I loved doing this; just wait til he walks by, power up, BANG!!! Dead. Power down. Enemy's buddy turns around. "Huh?" "...Shh... I'm a building." "Oh. Okay..." Power up. BANG! Sometimes required repeated attempts and thus repeated power downs while right next to the enemy to 'blend in'.
  • Base ambushes. (Player holds back with the rouse of being afk/disconnected or hides, then when a damaged enemy went for the base, power up and let 'em have it!)
  • Executions -- some players weren't so sporty or were distrustful of surrenders and would instead execute those that surrendered.
  • So much more.
Man I miss the old game... *Sniffle.*

#23 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

View PostJeffrey Wilder, on 25 March 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

I had experience over the weekend where a player that was on a trial stalker kept shouting my coordinates to the enemy because I was the last man standing.

He was killed because he didn't spot an ECM raven team creeping up behind him. The name of the player starts with an "E" but hasn't been active since that day.

So instead of getting myself killed, my idea was to ran around and flank the enemy but because of this idiot "E", there is no way I can do it. So in the end, I took 2 down with me instead of the possibility of more.

So this "E" player was sore to be killed in a trial stalker (that he know nuts about piloting). I still have the screen-shot; Will he be ban even if I am the only one that reports him (for breeching code of conduct)?

I don't think its up to us to determine what the penalty is for any breach, thats PGI's mandate.

The important thing is that as a community member we are all trying to keep the game going in the right direction.

Behaviour that is a clear breach of the CoC (like the one you described) should be reported.

Behaviour that is borderline I tend to give the benefit of the doubt personally, but that's just me. (Eg, A guy calling out B4 on my team when I am the last man standing and I'm actually in e7, I just assume he is either drunk or laughing to himself at his private joke)

#24 ProphetMatt

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys, seems like this is a pretty confusing issue. I guess I would expect that moderators would be on the same page for the rules but it seems different moderators have different rules. Heres the screenshot with names removed i assume thats allowed? by this point we were arguing back and forth so thats probably why the other team was getting irritated but the whole thing took less then 2 minutes from when i hid the first time to when i was killed AND i moved from place to place.

#25 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

View PostProphetMatt, on 25 March 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

Thanks for all the responses guys, seems like this is a pretty confusing issue. I guess I would expect that moderators would be on the same page for the rules but it seems different moderators have different rules. Heres the screenshot with names removed i assume thats allowed? by this point we were arguing back and forth so thats probably why the other team was getting irritated but the whole thing took less then 2 minutes from when i hid the first time to when i was killed AND i moved from place to place.
Posted Image

You should prob just report it man, let the powers that be give you guidance.

#26 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 25 March 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Behaviour that is borderline I tend to give the benefit of the doubt personally, but that's just me. (Eg, A guy calling out B4 on my team when I am the last man standing and I'm actually in e7, I just assume he is either drunk or laughing to himself at his private joke)

Decoy tactic. And/or old old-school joke from when the minimaps only updated twice per second instead of real time. You could be looking at an enemy and not even know it unless that half of second came up.

Since you couldn't tell enemy text from ally text, it was a common joke and/or tactic to call out a false sighting. Example: You're in a Jenner hiding between a rock and a tree and an Atlas is looking in your general direction with its glowing eyes. "E5; Jenner!" The Atlas starts to turn and reveal his damaged back. Time to attack. But back then there wasn't a code of conduct either.

#27 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

View PostProphetMatt, on 25 March 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

Thanks for all the responses guys, seems like this is a pretty confusing issue. I guess I would expect that moderators would be on the same page for the rules but it seems different moderators have different rules.

If I recall correctly - the moderators who are labeled as such are only moderators for the Forum - not the game itself...

Anyone want to back me up or prove me wrong?
I honestly cannot remember for sure at this point.

#28 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

Good job blanking those names.It's griefing if you do it repeatedly.

#29 Nils

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 432 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

Report it in a ticket is the thing to do. Posting it in the forums will resolve nothing. Go to support tab, then create a ticket. Should be pretty self explanatory at that point.

#30 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

View PostNils, on 25 March 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

Posting it in the forums will resolve nothing.

The post was more to make sure he knew what the rules were (I think?) but yeah...

Anyone else have issues like this - Support is there to help!

#31 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

I think that PGI's moderation and conflict resolving is not any better than their game design. I take for granted that anyone can do anything in the matches. As long as it's not straight serial teamkills in plain view, chances are scarce that anyone will be punished. I heard of ticket about iterant racist speech in chat pending for more than two weeks before submitter got a reply, and it's only reply - I don't even know if players in question were somehow punished.

So, I think, people can hide and will not be punished for this. People can report teammates' position to red team in general chat and will get away with it. Professionally disabled people hardly can and doubtfully want to moderate the game.

#32 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

View PostMorang, on 25 March 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

I think that PGI's moderation and conflict resolving is not any better than their game design. I take for granted that anyone can do anything in the matches. As long as it's not straight serial teamkills in plain view, chances are scarce that anyone will be punished. I heard of ticket about iterant racist speech in chat pending for more than two weeks before submitter got a reply, and it's only reply - I don't even know if players in question were somehow punished.

So, I think, people can hide and will not be punished for this. People can report teammates' position to red team in general chat and will get away with it. Professionally disabled people hardly can and doubtfully want to moderate the game.

Glass half empty?

#33 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 25 March 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

Glass half empty?

It is a very very strange day indeed when I keep agreeing with you isn't it?

#34 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

View PostCraig Steele, on 25 March 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

It can as well be stupidity. It looks like HUD battlegrid is only updated when the mech is moving. It's OK for pilot, as when he is stationary, he just sees his last position on the battlegrid. But when spectator switches to stationary mech, he for some reason sees totally wrong square on battlegrid (I'm not sure - his own last position? Last position of the moving mech he spectated before? Some default square?). That's why wise mechwarriors wanting to betray their teammate press F9 and report XYZ coordinates directly from CryEngine - that's the case of ProphetMatt's screenshot. But not all mechwarriors are topographically educated enough to compare external view with battlegrid and understand that battlegrid signature is wrong. So they just write what battlegrid tells them.

#35 iamunkle

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAUS

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

you hid..

pfft

wheres your spine ?

its a game... why ruin it for the others who have to wait for you to die/timer run out to get their mech back.

its frikken annoying.

#36 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 25 March 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

LOL, I thought you had me on ignore??

But sure, I better go buy a lotto ticket :huh:

#37 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:13 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 25 March 2014 - 10:10 PM, said:

If I recall correctly - the moderators who are labeled as such are only moderators for the Forum - not the game itself...

Anyone want to back me up or prove me wrong?
I honestly cannot remember for sure at this point.

I'm pretty sure moderators are just moderating the boards. For ingame actions there are game masters (which you can contact via support@mwomercs.com). Those are the ones who should evaluate this matter.

#38 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

View Postiamunkle, on 25 March 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

you hid..

pfft

wheres your spine ?

its a game... why ruin it for the others who have to wait for you to die/timer run out to get their mech back.

its frikken annoying.

It's not ruined for him if thats his game plan. It is arrogant in the extreme for those who died executing their game plan to require someone else to adopt their (failed) gameplan and just die for their convenience.

If you're not prepared to play a 15 minute game, select Assault or Conquest. Skirmish is the game mode that REWARDS endurance plays so people should be allowed to explore those options without hinderance from team mates.

#39 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 25 March 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

Blame it on the LRMpocalypse.

Everyone else is.

View Postiamunkle, on 25 March 2014 - 10:57 PM, said:

you hid..

pfft

wheres your spine ?

its frikken annoying.

This conversation ranks up there with this gem created by Chris Claremont waaaaay back in the day:

"Where's your sense of adventure?"
"With my sense of self-preservation!"

#40 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

Since when they have "Moderators" ingame?
I would send those screenies in, they can get banned by impersonating a GM or other official.

Oh and to the point: "You make 23 others wait" - no one forces them to stay in match, you can leave it and get another Mech back into the next game.
(Oh yeah, he had only 1, sure... i would say its rare to have only exactly 1 Mech...)

Edited by John McFianna, 26 March 2014 - 12:03 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users