#61 MysteryNotes

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:38 AM

View PostCraig Steele, on 26 March 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

I'd give you the same advice then, report it to support for clarity. AFAIK you have both acted within the CoC and if someone is imitating a PGI member or advertsing friendly mech co ordinates it is them who are in breach of the CoC. If this guy was a mod, he should most certainly be aware of the treachery terms and be reporting them as well (or advising them he will as he apparently did to you guys)

I did in fact contact support a week ago regarding this issue requesting clarification.
No reply, or even an acknowledgement that they received my email.

Also the player who claimed to be a mod(I checked his name on the forums and it appears that he actually is a mod), didn't say anything about team treason.
How do i know? Because the offending player was on my team, and from what i saw the mod was actually encouraging him.

I myself have been a game master or moderator in several other games, so i have to say i'm rather disappointed with his integrity and conduct.

#62 Craig Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostMysteryNotes, on 26 March 2014 - 06:38 AM, said:

I did in fact contact support a week ago regarding this issue requesting clarification.
No reply, or even an acknowledgement that they received my email.

Also the player who claimed to be a mod(I checked his name on the forums and it appears that he actually is a mod), didn't say anything about team treason.
How do i know? Because the offending player was on my team, and from what i saw the mod was actually encouraging him.

I myself have been a game master or moderator in several other games, so i have to say i'm rather disappointed with his integrity and conduct.

Well, it certainly doesn't sound like mod behaviour.

It's OK to be wrong on some things but if he is just offering freindly advice then he should be calling out the treachery one imo. But what do I know :)

I wouldn't be to quick to judge him just yet, it may be something completely out of left field. He must have some runs on the board to be a Mod so maybe there is something else going on?

But you have done your part by reporting it and the guys at PGI will take care of it now.

Good Luck :)

#63 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostProphetMatt, on 25 March 2014 - 09:30 PM, said:

Yes, I had fought the enemy, was hiding and while i decided what to do, even asking my team for their thoughts the "moderator" started threatening to report me. The screenshot I do have is of him claiming some delay of game rule in the TOS and putting a "smiley face :) " after a guy posted my coordinates in chat.

I say report it to support. If he/she was wrong, then they need to know. If that is indeed acceptable, then we ALL need to know.

In my opinion, if what you are saying is factual, then the mod was wrong. However, in game they are no different from us, unless I am mistaken. I will also say I have reported many cases of people calling out teammates positions unless I already had screen shots of the hider admitting he was just padding his KDR.

#64 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

View PostCraig Steele, on 26 March 2014 - 06:51 AM, said:

Well, it certainly doesn't sound like mod behaviour.

But that's exactly what it sounds like.

#65 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

I would be disappointed if this happened in a match I was in. Their rules leave a need for clarification. Them calling out your position is definitely a bad decision.

I was in a match where my weapons were destroyed. I powered down in front of an a enemy mech(accepting defeat). He stopped firing. Must have thought I was dead. I should have been the first kill of the match. I powered back up, moved towards the enemy, powered down before they came into sight. Thought I was a dead mech. Shadowed them all around the map. I ended up surviving to be the last mech on my team. After I was alone, I waited till they were searching for me, and powered up right behind them. It was fun. I am not going to make it easy on them because they had the opportunity to kill me, but stopped firing. The failure to engage the enemy rule is BS, unless you hid the whole match without engaging period. I bet that my match would be considered to have violated the rules, however, my team thought it was funny. They literally walked their mechs around me without realizing I wasn't dead, who's fault is that? In the end, I did Leroy Jenkins into the enemy team, but not before I was the lone survivor. I don't think it should be against the rules to make them work for it. Misdirection is a weapon of warfare.

Edit: IMO, the only reason to call out a mech position(friendly) to end the match is if the mech in question is clearly DC'd. All other call-outs against friendlies are a violation of the rules.

Edited by Zekester81, 26 March 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#66 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostCraig Steele, on 26 March 2014 - 05:05 AM, said:

What are you smoking? :)

We are talking about banning someone for in game breaches of the CoC. That is a infraction against the company.

It is also a matter between the company and its client, its not for public debate.

Its never good business practice to punish in public, heck its not even good manners let alone a good business practice.

If someone's level of civility is based on a looming threat that says far more about that person than the one choosing not to threaten.

The rules are there, we can all read. We all know what is right and wrong. I don't need to know who got banned for me to play by the rules. Neither should anyone else who can read.

Why? The only reason not to publicize bans is if you don't actually ban anyone. If people know that they folks they report suffer actual sanction they know that there is value to reporting and reason to not violate the rules. All hiding this does is make people think nothing is being done and that there is no reason not to violate the rules. Thus rule breakers are encouraged to break rules freely and those who report are discouraged from reporting. I know that I no longer report anyone since there is no reason to believe anything happens. I also feel less fear to violate rules as, there is likely no sanction and people are less likely to actually report anything. Combined with PGI's refusal, after saying they would, put in an in game report button to make it easier, it shows PGI/IGP can't be bothered with actual discipline. I get that they have so few players they are scared to ban anyone, but I guess if rubes who think this is good policy exist, I can't blame them in a way.
[redacted]

Edited by miSs, 26 March 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#67 Nakamura Takeshi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Report the player who ratted you out, I think that's a bigger offense than "hiding". I wasn't there and couldn't judge 100%. Delay of game rule...interesting.

#68 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

View PostJohn McFianna, on 25 March 2014 - 11:59 PM, said:

Since when they have "Moderators" ingame?
I would send those screenies in, they can get banned by impersonating a GM or other official.

Oh and to the point: "You make 23 others wait" - no one forces them to stay in match, you can leave it and get another Mech back into the next game.
(Oh yeah, he had only 1, sure... i would say its rare to have only exactly 1 Mech...)

Two words: Trial mechs. The 'I have only one mech' argument ends there. Everything else is them being a baby.

#69 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 26 March 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

Why? The only reason not to publicize bans is if you don't actually ban anyone. If people know that they folks they report suffer actual sanction they know that there is value to reporting and reason to not violate the rules. All hiding this does is make people think nothing is being done and that there is no reason not to violate the rules. Thus rule breakers are encouraged to break rules freely and those who report are discouraged from reporting. I know that I no longer report anyone since there is no reason to believe anything happens. I also feel less fear to violate rules as, there is likely no sanction and people are less likely to actually report anything. Combined with PGI's refusal, after saying they would, put in an in game report button to make it easier, it shows PGI/IGP can't be bothered with actual discipline. I get that they have so few players they are scared to ban anyone, but I guess if rubes who think this is good policy exist, I can't blame them in a way.
[redacted]

There is so much wrong with this post it's inconceivable. What a waste of time to even read it.

I can only conclude you are trolling.

Nothing to see here, move along.

#70 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

View PostSnowdogJJJ, on 26 March 2014 - 03:10 AM, said:

Always die with honor.. hiding so that you do not die is not honorable. Hiding to ambush? well that is (also not honorable ) but IMO fun as a barrel of monkeys. If your hiding to save your KDR then your wasting everyone time, including your own.

The dead nor stupid have honor. This is a game. Doing something stupid just to placate someone else's impatience devalues yourself for the sake of someone else's ego or selfishness doesn't make you a better person.

If your style of play demands you run screaming into a short range knife fight when there are rifles to be had handy, that's your lookout, and I will be glad to walk by your LRMed/ACed/PPCed corpse. You go ahead and die for 'your honor', the rest of us will live and continue to play the game the way we see fit and feel works best for us.

This is not about KDR. I know some people like to trot that out, and no, it's not. Often its about refusing to accept an 11-0 ROFLstomp by being smart and making the winning team actually WORK for a living after the stupid have charged in and died in a silly blaze of... well it certainly ain't glory... blaze of bravado I guess is the best word for it.

So let us just drop the pretense that dying stupid is morally superior and that using sound tactics, judgment and play is somehow "dishonorable". mmkay?

That's just embarrassing for you or anyone else who makes this insipid argument.

Edited by Kjudoon, 26 March 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#71 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:41 AM

View PostModo44, on 26 March 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

How is "we banned this ******* for doing this ******* thing" not a good business practice? I will tell you how: When the banning is not over infractions vs players, but over infraction vs the company. On any open forum, the size and usage of the banhammer directly corresponds to the level of civility.

Publicly shaming with the banhammer isn't a great policy. It causes problems, promotes an "Us vs Them" mentality, and potentially penalized folks with a single infraction or possibly was wrongly banned.

That said, I know bannings do happen. I had a friend who legged a PGI player and then ran off and hid for the rest of the match. He got perma-banned. I'm not sure it should have been that extreme, but I assume he did protest it and failed.

The point is, bannings and punishments do happen, but they're generally not publicized because it only creates more problems.

#72 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

"User was banned" on your friends list or beside a forum post sends a clear message. People disappearing makes you wonder how many simply said "**** it" and left the game.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users