Custom Pilot

35 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom Pilot's (210 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to Make your own Uniqe Pilot?

1. Yes (171 votes [81.43%])

Percentage of vote: 81.43%

2. No (8 votes [3.81%])

Percentage of vote: 3.81%

3. Dont Care (31 votes [14.76%])

Percentage of vote: 14.76%

Do you think this would be a fun thing to have in the game?

1. yes (169 votes [80.48%])

Percentage of vote: 80.48%

2. no (16 votes [7.62%])

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

3. Dont Care (25 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

Would you be willing (if implamented) to pay for speacal items for your pilot

1. Yes (take my Wallet!) (38 votes [18.10%])

Percentage of vote: 18.10%

2. Yes (but only if it's cheap) (42 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Maybe here or there. (83 votes [39.52%])

Percentage of vote: 39.52%

4. No, I really dont care (36 votes [17.14%])

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

5. No. NO MONEY FOR PGI! (11 votes [5.24%])

Percentage of vote: 5.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

I was thinking that well MechWarrior has always been known for the endless possibilities of custom mech's.

But What about the Pilot? so far all we got is this unseen person wearing a Cooling Suit (Which is Lost-tech unless your Clan)

So How about being able to customize your pilot? Skin tone? Age, Gender ect. But that would only be the beginning.

Each pilot could have things unique to there faction, for example a House Stiner, he/she could have the Stiner Emblem on there Cooling vest. They would have a Japanese Katana or some other House item on there clothing/cooling vest.

But we cant do all this without making custom characters, For example, the Pilot I made back in my table top days was Lt. Colonel David Conner's. Davion MechWarrior of the 5th Davion Commando's (A made up Unit) piloting a Victor Battlemech named "Blade of Hope" for the Fed-Sun's insigna that he had painted on the mech's Right shoulder.

MechWarrior was made by people playing the table top and making custom warriors who later turned into Major players. So why not let us do this in MWO?

Custom Characters and How they look would be an AMAZEING feature that I think a lot of people would get behind, Maybe even make it so that our Pilot's name shows up under our user name?

Idea's?

#2 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

Your pilot is a great place for cosmetic purchases. In addition, it could be a place for c-bill stat modifications like neurohelmets and cooling suits.

Cosmetics could include anything from colors to texture packs. C-bill mods could include Star League tech, NAIS tech, Clan tech, even just grades of legacy tech.

#3 Geeks On Hugs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

This could be combined with a "taunt" feature that showed your "video" on an enemy mech with a taunt or what not...very common stuff in the lore.

#4 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

It would only make sense to do this if you had a mirror in your cockpit, or maybe if they impliment the thingy with your hands moving up to hit buttons. Otherwise grab some crayons and draw yourself and stick it next to your comp so you can see it while playing.

#5 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

When they start adding objective based game mode's (I mean more then what we have now) and possably even a single player/co-op missions then maybe this could add flavor to that. I think that it'd be fun to breath some life into this game in terms of how people act.

It'd probably be nice to see with an Eject animation as well.

#6 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

View PostGeeks On Hugs, on 30 March 2014 - 04:16 PM, said:

This could be combined with a "taunt" feature that showed your "video" on an enemy mech with a taunt or what not...very common stuff in the lore.

Only if you can get the MC variant of that... the cockpit mooning

Posted Image

#7 Trooper60709

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNext To Yours

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

I would love to have some of that ECM hacking and spamming bagpipe sh*t into your enemy's cockpit like in the lore. Also, you know that balcony gantry thingy in the corner of the hanger/homescreen? What if your personal pilot was up there, leaning on the railing looking at the changes with a holo pad? That would awesome.

#8 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Unfortunately, the only way we're going to see it soon with their current programming team, is if they purchase a face creator module from another company to insert.

Which wouldn't be a bad thing, they just need the will to do it and integrate it.

#9 Uthael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

Just made a topic. Inspired by this one.

Edited by Uthael, 06 April 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#10 Gunbuster

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

I'd settle for just an update to fix his ugly pixelated leg textures...

#11 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

I wish we could color the pilot and give him decals.

#12 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

Ok fair enough nice idea, but when would we ever see these custom changes? We never see the pilot, why would I care what he looks like?

#13 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

This is why we are discussing this as a Proposal to PGI to ADD the ability to see your pilot.

#14 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

View PostKnightshadowsong, on 10 April 2014 - 12:10 AM, said:

This is why we are discussing this as a Proposal to PGI to ADD the ability to see your pilot.

Ok right, not really mentioned like that in the OP. Where would you view your pilot?

#15 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

Nice idea Knightshadowsong, maybe the DEVS read this thread you made!

#16 Knightshadowsong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 290 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

Hopefully.
If they use it I want a free Clan Mech!

Edited by Knightshadowsong, 23 April 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#17 Dustee

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 30 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTomorrowland, CA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

I'd totally want this only if you can see into the cockpits. If they had clear glass and the inside models visible from the outside so other people can look into them then it'd be great, especially when two mechs get face to face in combat and you can see your enemy in his seat.

#18 Deadpool79

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:23 AM

This could be a fun cosmetic add, but there are a lot of other issues that need addressed first. I like the idea, but this also goes back to the overall cost issues in the game. Prices for some of the cosmetics are way too high already and there would have to be a reasonable C-Bill option versus just MC.

#19 Bad Frosty

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

I love the idea and I feel it has loads of potential, so I checked "Take my wallet." Let us not forget that this game is primarily about fighting and that there is no better way to start a fight than saying "My mech is better than yours." I kid you not, there is no easier way to get a pilot to rise to the challenge and take you on. I do it myself quite often just to add some spice to a game where people are constantly whining about the lack of map variety. You don't need a good map, you just need a good opponent.

And why is that? It's because people are proud of their creations. Ever since everybody was old enough to speak they've been making and doing things they wanted to show somebody else. To that end, people love customization options. They are amongst the few redeeming features of lousy games like Colonial Marines or Dead Space 3.

Well, there's no reason why that shouldn't apply to MWO. It already does, in the form of mech customization, and even when it comes to cockpit novelties. So why not the pilot? Just because you can't see him or her most of the time? Sounds like lazy thinking to me. If people love customizing their mechs, they'll love customizing the pilot as well.

Of course, then you get the people who complain about that not having a gameplay function. It doesn't really need one, but it could easily have one, and probably should. One of the worst parts about MWO is the matches where you don't even get a chance to fire. Maybe you got blasted by LRMs before you were in range, maybe you got out-maneuvered and surprised by a DDC lance. That's not so bad, but what sucks is spending the rest of the match spectating. Then we have all the problems that come with backseat piloting and giving intel to people who shouldn't be able to hear you because you died twenty seconds ago.

So let the pilots eject. Now, they've got a whole 'nother game to play. They have to either get back for extraction or stay in the field providing spotter support. The catch is, if they don't survive the mission, they get nothing. They can customize their weapons, and even wear armor if they're willing to take a heat penalty in their 'mech. Can you imagine how fun that would be? You don't even have to change the game's mechanics. Pilots are just tiny mechs with one point of armor, maybe two. They don't count towards victory, a lost 'mech is a lost 'mech, but they would give people something to do other than quit or wait out a bad match, and they could even fight each other in the field if they wished for a small C-Bill Bonus.

Yes, I am aware that there are issues like animating ejection pods, but those aren't really issues. You could quite easily just dump the pilot out the mech's backside like a 2m **** and nobody would care. It adds fun stuff to do with a game, and a whole new layer of strategic depth. Plus, it goes a ways towards fixing auto-disconnects that are farming EXP if losing their 'mech means having a vulnerable pilot on the ground who people will kill on-sight. Yeah, maybe you're the last 'mech standing, but maybe you aren't. Nobody is going to spare a thought for a pilot who pulls that crap.

This brings me to my last point, which is the concept of chivalry. Since the days of dot-matrix, Battletech has always been about men and women, the elite of the elite, knights of a new age. Some of that has understandably been lost in translation. It may be cowardly to shoot an opponent in the back, but you'd be stupid not to. A pilot is a different matter, though. No threat to a walking death machine, but utterly helpless if caught by one, pilots would add an element of humanity to the game. Do I let them go, and risk them spotting me for their friends, or do I annihilate them?

This game has always been about building communities of gamers who work as a team. It's about making friends as much as blowing up 'mechs. Well, imagine what an impact it would have for a helpless pilot to be chivalrously released by an opposing force. I've met a lot of units in my short time with MWO, and I can't think of one that wants "We kill pilots" on their resume. Who wants to join a marauding band of 12-yr olds like that? Far better to join or fight with people who have standards, morals, and discipline.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the matter. Maybe it is a pipe dream, and I don't need to be reminded that some of you think the devs have turned a deaf ear. My counter argument to you would be that they want to make money, and they will listen as soon as it runs out. They have to as surely as you have to go to work every day. So try to keep any thoughts positive and constructive.

#20 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:01 AM

It would be a very nice addition for your forum avatar, and possibly for Pilot Tree expansions, but I can't see much use of the cosmetic side in-game.

Not saying "no" (as I voted "yes"), just that I think trying to bring it into the battlefield (beyond what you can see on your arms) would be a bit naff due to the scale involved.

Edited by Raggedyman, 05 May 2014 - 02:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users