Tbt-3C The Legend Continues...

31 replies to this topic

#1 Mankor

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:09 AM

I have read many a post of people proclaiming a kill to death ratio of 2:1. When
I first started playing nine months ago, I thought that was a pipe dream, but it's real!

I started playing and purchased a light mech after a couple matches, hated it sold it - dumb, I know. Hated all the trials - they are ok, but don't really give the game a good name. A mastered Mech is SO much better. I didn't understand heat, speed, efficiencies, anything! So I read. The forums are a gold mine of knowledge. PGI just needs to codify it, dress it up, and put it in UI 2.0.

After much study and a month of dying almost every match with no kills I read and read. Some body like me trumpeted the TBT-3C and that was my first purchase. I liked it - it was good, but I didn't understand the modules or tag well enough until now. For the past month - the LRM buff didn't hurt - I have been on fire. I haven't really gotten much better. Look at the mechs.

Posted Image

THIS is the build you want. I feel like I cracked MWO for the masses. I rarely ever see one of these, but it is a beast. All I need to do is tag you for a second and I get three for my missiles to get to you. Would love to add beagle, but I don't know that I need it...

TBT-3C Viking 2

Fav map is mordor. Get to the middle first (not hard, you go 106), go to the middle lowered platform - it was built for lrms. You are at the perfect height to hit anything that tries to come in. As soon as you get a second of a lock - fire, the lock will fade but you'll hit the pack.

Enjoy... or tell me I'm wrong :ph34r: The only weakness is vs lights, you'll get HAMMERED, but stay by the pack and rake in the kills.

Edited by Mankor, 31 March 2014 - 06:45 AM.

#2 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

Mankor,

Congrats on finding something that works for you.

I really like the TBT-3C as well. It was one of the 1st mechs I bought that I still own. I like mine a little faster though. For those pesky lights I run mine like this. Currently only a 1.38 KDR though.

TBT-3C ala Jody Von Jedi

I do the same build for the 7M, but with a smaller engine, 3 SSRM and jump jets. My KDR for this load out is 3.0

I really like the LL and SSRM setup. I prefer more armor, therefore the LL and SSRM setup. I'm just not a LRM kind of guy. On the 3C you can drop the engine back to 300XL and run 3 LL, but it's really hot. You defiantly need to chain fire them.

I also have the 7K, only TBT variant with a ballistic hardpoint. I run mine with a standard engine and an AC/20! Most opponents are shocked when I rock them with a 30 pinpoint alpha from a AC/20 and 2 ML. Also currently a 3.0 KDR on this loadout.

If you like the Trebuchet and want to move up to a Heavy Chassis, try the Quickdraw. Once you've unlocked the efficiencies, it handles like a big Medium and all of the variants have jumpjets.

Another medium to consider that handles similarly is the Blackjack. Light and nimble and some of the variants have jumpjets.

Enjoy,

Jody

#3 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

I mastered 3 Trebuchets myself including the 3C, 5J, and 7K. Your armor seems way too low especially since you have an XL engine, backup weapons in the arms, and ammo in your legs. Being a highly mobile medium missile platform is great but I would at the very least drop the LRM15 in your arm to an LRM10 and get yourself more armor:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3a114bb3a26112c

I had more success in the 5J with 4 medium lasers, only 1 LRM15, and jump jets, ams, and 13 double heat sinks:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ce2d39b997078c3

#4 Mankor

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

Jody,

Never gave the 7M a look, I may have to plunk down a few cbills... Good tip, I love light hunting almost as much as I love hunting in a pack of lights :ph34r:

#5 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

The 7K was also my best (and the only one I haven't sold). I mounted it with 2 AC2s and a Large Laser. Loads of fun:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb139ceeb0aeaf6

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Why don't you own a 5N? It is flat out better compared to the 3C for many builds.

Edited by Spheroid, 31 March 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#7 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

View PostMankor, on 31 March 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

Jody,

Never gave the 7M a look, I may have to plunk down a few cbills... Good tip, I love light hunting almost as much as I love hunting in a pack of lights :angry:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e3a84c918a27bfb
For all you light hunting needs! wreck every ilght in your path with ease.

Or drop the extra DHS, BAP, and 1 ton of ammo for the 390XL and 140 KPH, both bulds are very good, and extremely fun.

Edited by DONTOR, 31 March 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#8 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 31 March 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

Why don't you own a 5N? It is flat out better compared to the 3C for many builds.

The advantage of the 3C is the engine cap is higher than all the other variants, but at the expense of jumpjets. If you're not going to take advantage of the larger engine cap, the 5N is comparable. However, the 3C has a torso Energy hardpoint. You can actually Zombie with the 3C. The 5N has the disadvantage of having most of the energy hardpoints in one arm. You loose the right arm, you loose most of your fire power. The 5N doesn't have JJ either, so I'm at a loss as to why the 5N would be better??

Spheroid,

What is your 5N build?

Jody

#9 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

View PostTastian, on 31 March 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

The 7K was also my best (and the only one I haven't sold). I mounted it with 2 AC2s and a Large Laser. Loads of fun: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb139ceeb0aeaf6

Nice build, I have run mine similarly. Twin AC/2 will ruin your day too. That rapid tink, tink, tink on your armor is very distracting.

Jody

#10 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

@Jedi

Treb-5N: 250 STD, endo, FF, 2x LRM15(720), 3x mlas
Treb-3C: 280XL, endo, AMS, 2x ALRM(720), 3x mlas

If I want to self TAG I am better off going up to 55 tons as I find it criminal not to use at least three mlas with the default heatsinks.

#11 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 31 March 2014 - 08:33 AM, said:

@Jedi Treb-5N: 250 STD, endo, FF, 2x LRM15(720), 3x mlas Treb-3C: 280XL, endo, AMS, 2x ALRM(720), 3x mlas If I want to self TAG I am better off going up to 55 tons as I find it criminal not to use at least three mlas with the default heatsinks.

OK, maybe I'll try a 5N some day sans the LRMs. I have the 3C, 7K, and 7M. I used to hate jumpjets, but lately I've been having a ton of fun with them. If I had a choice between the 2 variants I don't own yet, I'd go with the 5J for the jumpjet capability alone.

Jody

#12 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

I can't say I ever tried the 3C or 5N, the set-ups for the 5J, 7K and 7M had appealed to me more.

My 7M is my missile boat, but instead of the TAG, I have two Jump Jets, and a slightly smaller engine for more ammo.

Truth be told however, I prefer my Griffin now for LRM boating.

#13 Mankor

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Monsoon,

Griff build please - I have a set of hunchies and a set of TBT's, it would take alot for me to for another set of mediums when it seems the TBT is really all I need.

Mankor

#14 Mankor

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostTastian, on 31 March 2014 - 07:12 AM, said:

The 7K was also my best (and the only one I haven't sold). I mounted it with 2 AC2s and a Large Laser. Loads of fun:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fb139ceeb0aeaf6

Tried it - first time out 529 and 4 kills :angry:

ac2 s are a good time indeed!

Thanks guys for the feed back! I'd like to see now what makes the Griff so special...

#15 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

So, one thing to keep in mind - and I hit this personally - is the mech may not be that great, but maybe you're getting better.

i have some variants I did really well in - and "felt" like incremental progress. However, I suspected (and the stat-wipe confirmed) that some of this was just me improving in general - you can't put too much on the mech.

That said, there are some sorts of builds i really enjoy and do well in more than others - and that also shows. The TBT may be one of those for you - just clicks.

#16 Mankor

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

That may be... but from the mech screen you can see that the other mechs are vanilla. I have learned a thing or two, but for lrms... I don't know how you can do it without arty or tag. How do you play without being able to target mech under ecm?! I would pull my hair out.

Made the suggested changes to armor and switched up the J to include tag and it's different mech. I think my problem was being too slow and not flanking enough. I don't care how good you are. Going head to head with any mech will mean your quick demise. Being fast enough makes all the difference in the world photo- for me 106 seems to be the trick, that's an xl300 in a 50 ton medium.

This was from the C last night - easily my best scores ever... done at Terra Therma - in the center is the BEST lrm nest in the game, hands down.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

This is the J's score... off the chizarts. Never imagined I could do this well in this mech. Anyone who says "That mech sucks" - aside from a certain spider chasis we will not name - is a bad pilot. That used to be me.
Posted Image

Edited by Mankor, 01 April 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#17 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

That build should be done on the 5N, which has 25 degrees more torso twist than the 3C. Allows you to run away while tagging.

#18 Mankor

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 31 March 2014 - 07:50 AM, said:

The advantage of the 3C is the engine cap is higher than all the other variants, but at the expense of jumpjets. If you're not going to take advantage of the larger engine cap, the 5N is comparable. However, the 3C has a torso Energy hardpoint. You can actually Zombie with the 3C. The 5N has the disadvantage of having most of the energy hardpoints in one arm. You loose the right arm, you loose most of your fire power. The 5N doesn't have JJ either, so I'm at a loss as to why the 5N would be better??

I think you're right about the N for me - this thread has been sort of an epiphany for builds. I started by saying I knew it and am finding out how much I didn't know! :)My next purchase will be the M for streaking lights. I saw an Oxide get over 1000 dmg in a match and am curious what I could do.

#19 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

I built and xp mastered a 3c in the PTS last night with an xl385 and 4 mpls. Its a sleeper beast! Most mechs completely ignore your existence while you're basically a better armored jenner sans jump jets. If it wasn't 9 mill to buy in I'd suggest it

#20 Mankor

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

So many TBTs so little cbills. 6.2 for a xl385... You people are killing me! :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users