84% Of Players Pug In A Team Oriented Game?

Gameplay

504 replies to this topic

#1 Name115734

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

So the latest metrics tell us that teams are dwindling more and more. I have personally experienced this after coming back from 9 months of not playing to find most of the people used to play with and their respective teams either completely vanished or lapsed into inactivity.

When 8v8 came out in December 2012 our channels in the NA teamspeak would fill up fast with people looking for 8's, once the initial novelty wore off, only true premade teams would bother going through the hassle, and what a hassle it was, to actually try and get 8 man's going. Players didn't stop 8 man's due to competition, as premade haters, would like to believe, it came down to being a HUGE hassle to try to get an 8 man going.

So here we are 12's have come and very few people play them, 1%. Teams have either died out or lost many members. And we are stuck with a PUG experience, because to be honest PGI catered to the PUGs like an 80 yr old grandmother does her so-cute-its-ugly puppy.

Do you want to see teams come back in this "team oriented" game, or are you all for the randomness of these seeming endless meaningless battles?

Imagine what "Community Warfare" will look like if this 84% trend continues to grow, who cares about loyalties and fighting for houses or clans, we might as well all just stay mercenary.

Who really wants to play as team right? Its just so HARD to coordinate with other people and actually learn to cooperate.

#2 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

They are coming out with private matches soon hopefully. You can read about it on the forums, I hope units start having their own private tourneys.

Because of low player bases, some games have to force people to play both sides sometimes. The matchmaker has to include everyone. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad. Just have to stick with the game man, till all the wining anonymous carebears disappear and it hopefully grows. Hopefully...

Edited by RichAC, 27 February 2014 - 03:17 AM.

#3 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:18 AM

Add In game VoIP, allow premades of any size.

#4 Name115734

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:19 AM

@RichAC No insult to you meant by this next statement.

Soon... I remember when UI 2.0 was announced, that was before I took a 9 month break from the game, so forgive if me "Soon" doesn't carry much weight with me.

PGI's definition of "Soon"; maybe possible could be within 1 year, or not, depends if we think that soon is too soon, then we may have to redefine what we meant when we said soon.

PGI loves their waffles.

Edited by No Remorse, 27 February 2014 - 03:23 AM.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:21 AM

Teams (or at least the Law) has lost interest in playing MW:O due to how mind numbingly redundant the title has become. There is no real rewards, no advancement Nothing but fighting. I know I for one can only spar so long, before wanting more. :(

#6 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:24 AM

Some question you often hear from new players during matches:

"Why can I chat with non-friends only during matches?"

"How do I use my Microphpone in this game?"

This game is missing basic means of communication and basic means of playing team vs team in a non random manor and I am telling that since I started playing back in CBT (mind you that this now is almost 2 and half years past and they are still missing). It is hard to understand how manual match setup and a general ingame chat system in the frontend were not the starting point of a multiplayer game made by people claiming to have a background of creating the multiplayer modes for several FPSs.

No general chat in a multiplayer game and no means of manual match setup in a team based multiplayer game are the same level of stupid usability design faupax as creating a RPG without a save anywhere feature. It is one of the major DON'Ts in todays gaming if you want to be more than a niche game.

#7 RichAC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostNo Remorse, on 27 February 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

@RichAC No insult to you meant by this next statement.

Soon... I remember when UI 2.0 was announced, that was before I took a 9 month break from the game, so forgive if me "Soon" doesn't carry much weight with me.

PGI's definition of "Soon"; maybe possible could be within 1 year, or not, depends if we think that soon is too soon, then we may have to redefine what we meant when we said soon.

PGI loves their waffles.

Well in the Russ Bullock post he gave some actual dates. I'm not sure what the date for private matches is, have to check that post. Its soon. haha

Funny you guys are asking for chat, cause in alot of games they don't bother cause noone uses them. Bad company 2 had voip, but in 2 years, I only ever heard a person say two words, literally. Noone even gets on vent anymore. Then BF3 they got rid of in game voice chat altogether lol. The Rift devs are having trouble just keeping their general chat servers working.....let alone a voip server.

In Star Trek Online, I only heard one guy ever use the in game voice chat. Most people don't bother to use mic, or most of the guilds are on 3rd party voip because its better quality.

Alot of people do get on VOIP for this game though which is cool about this community. But its never gonna be as good as vent, or something similar, and just a potential for more attacks and bugs, so its not surprising to me.

Edited by RichAC, 27 February 2014 - 03:46 AM.

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:41 AM

View PostRichAC, on 27 February 2014 - 03:39 AM, said:

Well in the Russ Bullock post he gave some actual dates. I'm not sure what the date for private matches is, have to check that post.

In reply to that we have had 3 dates so far for UI and two went sailing by and the third gave us a pretty new graphics and a Mechlab I am still learning! :(

#9 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:57 AM

While I don't think that ingame VoIP will be the solution to all problems, it will help a bit.

What we need much more is a simple way to communicate. There are plenty of examples how to do this right - battlefield 2-4 is a great example. I played all those games without using voice ever. But you can still coordinate fast and accurate with you squad, setting points to atack/defend without opening the map, telling what you need or have (ammo/medic) or what you try to do.

Even just the most basic things like yes/no/thank you can help alot. Just imagine you set a point for your squad and all they have to do is hit there commo rose key and click on yes!

You know they will or will not follow you! just this one basic thing would be enough to form a working lance and win the match.

#10 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:05 AM

we pulled together 12 last night and after 4 failed to find matches, broke up. The issue is not that people don;t want to play team matches, it is that PGI has made it difficult/impossible and/or player base is too small.

Allow 2-11 teams so we can play a team game in a team.

#11 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:09 AM

View PostNo Remorse, on 27 February 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

So the latest metrics tell us that teams are dwindling more and more.

In order to draw that conclusion you would need at the bear minimum 2 data sets. As far as I know this is the only time PGI has released a metric like this. Why are you certain that this is trending toward more pugging and that it will continue once community warfare arrives?

#12 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:12 AM

View PostJman5, on 27 February 2014 - 04:09 AM, said:

In order to draw that conclusion you would need at the bear minimum 2 data sets. As far as I know this is the only time PGI has released a metric like this. Why are you certain that this is trending toward more pugging and that it will continue once community warfare arrives?

Besides every statistic it is still hard to get 12 people together. Hell, even getting a full lance is a problem somedays, even on the half official comstar TS servers...

#13 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:12 AM

And people say a PUG-only queue would damage the game. Ha! It's rapidly going there by default.

The reason you see fewer and fewer premades is simple- the people who give a darn about team play are increasingly moving on, leaving the dwindling population a sea of newbies and ultra-casual loner players.

Communities play in teams. Factional warfare promises have been gathering dust for years, and there are no real community tools in the game, and no real cookies to encourage people to form teams other than PUG stomping and the few hardcores who remain in the currently meaningless factions.

#14 Chemie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:30 AM

View Postwanderer, on 27 February 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

And people say a PUG-only queue would damage the game. Ha! It's rapidly going there by default.

The reason you see fewer and fewer premades is simple- the people who give a darn about team play are increasingly moving on, leaving the dwindling population a sea of newbies and ultra-casual loner players.

Communities play in teams. Factional warfare promises have been gathering dust for years, and there are no real community tools in the game, and no real cookies to encourage people to form teams other than PUG stomping and the few hardcores who remain in the currently meaningless factions.

Excellent point. With 80% pugs in the queue, it is a freaking pug-only queue and pug-only game right now. Wow. GG PGI

#15 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:32 AM

I pug more often... 4 man feels like ez mode again with their elo tweak

#16 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:36 AM

View PostMycrus, on 27 February 2014 - 04:32 AM, said:

I pug more often... 4 man feels like ez mode again with their elo tweak

Centurion Weekend. 4man took me 3 1/2 hours to win 5 matches
PUG I won 5 in 7 matches...
Easy mode? Guess it depends on if your 4 man is all around the same Elo level. :(

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 27 February 2014 - 04:36 AM.

#17 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:37 AM

People will actually be more inclined to join houses and clans as opposed to Mercs as the relevance of pugging whilst in a house still applies and you can accumulate loyalty rewards still associated with that organisation.

Mercs being a low % of CW actions would then represent limited interest or apply very limited effects to the battle lines and being restricted to 3 mans makes their groups less likely to form large teams more capable of influencing things.

The vast majority of Pugging however can at least still allow for those players to be easily associated with the houses and clans, teams then being more representative of their loyalty interests (i.e. something associated the medallions we have or by direct association in our pilot details)

The only distinction however may be that Mercs are supposed to be able to bid for planetary conquest missions in the later stages of CW development. So if that game play is intended to be retained I find it difficult to logically understand how a full team will be best represented by Mercs if limited to 3 man arrangements. Either the idea of planetary conquest is going to now change to be more open to everyone or surely Mercs will need a way to have a better representation on drops supporting these kind of specific objectives associated with a contract.

Edited by Noesis, 27 February 2014 - 04:40 AM.

#18 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:38 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 27 February 2014 - 04:36 AM, said:

Centurion Weekend. 4man took me 3 1/2 hours to win 5 matches
PUG I won 5 in 7 matches...
Easy mode? Guess it depends on if your 4 man is all around the same Elo level. :(

I have this pretty often, playing alone is decent, teaming up means getting to loose 5 in a row :angry:

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

View Post627, on 27 February 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

I have this pretty often, playing alone is decent, teaming up means getting to loose 5 in a row :angry:

Thats cause of someone being a Elo ringer. We had that Saturday, Our Scout/spotter was throwing us into a higher Bracket, once he left, and we got a new 4th, we won 3 out of 5! I don't care that I did lose as often as I did with him, I was getting 400+ damage games and 7+ Assists in a Stalker (C). PUGging nearly the same build on my Alt, I couldn't maintain 400+. Big difference with LRMs when your team fill their roles... Best part, the Spotter got as much damage using his Firestarter as I got in m Missileboat! So he got really good XP and C-Bill bonuses! :(

#20 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:54 AM

Just look at their past fps games....look how terrible they are, no one even remembers those games for a reason. I still cant believe this dev was given the rights to a high end franchise...then again it's been a long time since it has released anything great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users