Can An Atlas Match A Direwolf?

114 replies to this topic

#1 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

I am loathe to spend real money...can you build an atlas that can go toe to toe with a Daishi?

#2 DannDruid

• PipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

classic brawler atlas-2medium,ac20,3srm6+artemis can do well if-and I mean if-you can close to 270

#3 Krostif

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

hmm well an atlas can kill a daishi and visa versa between the 2 its more who gets the first shots in in my experience at least
ive eaten atlasses with my dire wolfs but ive also killed alot off direwolfs in my ddc

#4 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

Inner Sphere weapons front load damage far better then clan, our ll has almost the same beam strength as their lpl, you don't "build" an atlas to go toe to toe with a dire wolf, you play it to go toe to toe with one. They tend to be hot and their weapons spread damage more, ya just gotta fire and torso twist and if you do many decent builds can beat them

More then anything, as with when facing all clanners, keep moving, being stationary doesn't bring their disadvantages into play

Edited by Just wanna play, 12 September 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#5 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

im more of a medium to long range guy... was thinking 2 lrm, 2 lbx ac, 2 er lasers and a couple medium lasers or pulse lasers

#6 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

Welp the farther away you are the bigger the advantage a clanners has because so many of their weapons have increased range and it CAN be easier to hit then when knife fighting, just keep that in mind

Edited by Just wanna play, 12 September 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

If pilot skill is the same, an atlas is no match for a dire wolf.

#8 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

Tactics against both are remarkably similar: shoot out the side torsos. Take out both torsos on an Atlas and you disarm it (couple have center mounted energy points, but still) take em out on the Daishi and it dies. I tend to agree with the poster who said the first shot matters most.

More directly, no, I have not had trouble killing a Daishi in either of my Atlas'. However, I've also been killed by them. Such is the life of 100 ton mechs.

#9 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Tactics against both are remarkably similar: shoot out the side torsos

I disagree. Youre almost always better off just aiming for the Dire Wolf's CT. Because even if you take out one of its side torsos it still has the firepower of an Atlas in the other side torso/arm.

The Atlas on the other hand gets completely boned by taking out one of its side torsos because it doesnt have that many weapons to begin with.

#10 Krostif

• PipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

so ehm twist also atlas use bigger engines than direwolfs so they got an advantage there + the fact they can twist further i nvr pilot an atlas under 325 usually use 350 even and with ac20+ some srms thats alot off dmg to most my dwf got alfas around 65-80 ish thats not something an atlas cant reach

#11 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

what do you think about this build? <a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=17&l=133a07fbe16e44d59d799fe9d6664962a49fcb2c">AS7-D-DC</a>

#12 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

Atlas has no problems against a Direwolf if you know how to twist and if you are within ideal range of your weapons.

Direwolf will be available for C-bills.

#13 Apnu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostDannDruid, on 12 September 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

classic brawler atlas-2medium,ac20,3srm6+artemis can do well if-and I mean if-you can close to 270

Yeah like this monster. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1e29a457199c524

#14 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:29 PM

Atlas has no problems against a Direwolf if you know how to twist and if you are within ideal range of your weapons.

Even if the Dire Wolf only fires at the Atlas when its CT is facing it, the Dire Wolf will still kill the Atlas first. Its a simple matter of damage output and the Dire Wolf does way more damage (at least 50% more dps). And thats not even counting the fact the Dire Wolf has about twice the effective range.

You really cant go into that fight in an Atlas and expect to win. No matter how much you torso twist you still need some other advantage (like being a better player, having backup, having lrm support, etc...)

Edited by Khobai, 12 September 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#15 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

I've leveled every Atlas.

Yet to Pilot a Direwolf.

So that is were my opinion is coming from... As the second poster said, a STD engine, an AC20, SRM's and ML, and whole lot of torso twisting is really your only choice.

At range I get CRUSHED by Direwolfs..

Up close it's more even. And yes... shoot out the CENTER Torso of the Direwolf, and above all protect your AC20.. without it the Atlas is nothing in a face hugging brawl with a Warhawk or Direwolf.

#16 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

View PostKhobai, on 12 September 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

Even if the Dire Wolf only fires at the Atlas when its CT is facing it, the Dire Wolf will still kill the Atlas first. Its a simple matter of damage output and the Dire Wolf does way more damage (at least 50% more dps). And thats not even counting the fact the Dire Wolf has about twice the effective range.

You really cant go into that fight in an Atlas and expect to win. No matter how much you torso twist you still need some other advantage (like being a better player, having backup, having lrm support, etc...)

my atlas has a dps of 20, yes dire wolfs do sometimes have 30 dps, but its never of weapons with properly overlapping ranges OR actually got the heat sinks to be using all that fire power. It also takes a lot more then 50% more dps to make up for 3 seconds of every 4 not having anything to shoot especially the beam of clan weapons themselves aren't stronger (in some cases, as such with lls, IS have stronger beams), they can just fire for a longer time, so by the time youv done your dmg in an atlas then twisted away its laser have done roughly the same, IS also have stronger srms

Also, whats up with peoples caring so much about their atlases ac/20 or what ever gun? i protect my other side more, 3 srms with art ams medium laser and ecm seems more important then just dual lbx-10s and a medium (3 srm6s out damage an lbx-10 to begin with, it would be an even bigger difference with an ac/20) to me

Comparing clan to Inner sphere weapons is EXACTLY like comparing the medium laser to the small pulse.

Edited by Just wanna play, 12 September 2014 - 03:08 PM.

#17 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

I have three mastered Dire Wolves and four mastered Atlases. I have a much easier time having spectacular rounds in my Founder's D than I do in any Dire Wolf.

On the other hand, I've dropped more in my WHK-B than anything else since the Clan invasion because that's my favorite.

#18 Eldane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

If I had to pick between my single Atlas(DDC) and my 3 Direwhales, I'd take my DDC any day of the week, an Atlas is like a ballerina compared to a DW as a hockey player! Sure the hockey player might win a fistfight, but some finesse can go a long way.

1 on 1 will come down to pilot skills, but a DDC attracts allies, and the poor DW, is almost always left to fend for himself.

I'd have to say there are quite a few Atlas builds, for several variants, that can hold their own against a DW. If it's a longer range engagement I'd have to give the edge to most DW builds though.

#19 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

Given that I've taken out a bunch of direwolves with a Highlander, I'd say the Atlas has a shot up close.

#20 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

What can Atlas do better then Direwolf? Brawling. At medium range Direwolf has you by the balls and can melt your armor or out right alpha you to death.

So brawling is the only thing, sadly though hard to get in brawling range alive and healthy to do it though.

AS7-D-DC

This was one of the best considered brawling builds for the DDC, actually widely used by competitive teams when they want a brawling Atlas (things have changed though to ER Large Lasers and such because of bigger maps, but you can use this as a base and alter what you need).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users