So Is Artificially Increasing Ping Cheating?

General

163 replies to this topic

#1 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

So I have this question after listening to some U-Tube... Is purposely inflating your Ping (VPN) fair to playing the game?

#2 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

no its not fair.

#3 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. You're purposefully abusing something that wasn't intended to gain competitive advantage. It's no different than replacing textures so you can easily spot enemy mechs.

The question really isn't whether it's cheating. It's whether you're likely to be caught doing it and punished for it. The answer in this case is almost certainly no.

That said, I have never understood why people do this sort of thing. Is your esteem so low that you have to create an artificial winning environment just to feel better about yourself even though you know you didn't earn it?

Edited by Gallowglas, 10 April 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#4 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Of course it is cheating. A fluctuating ping makes the mech skip all over the place, thus making it harder to hit.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

i haven't But I am listening to some players discussing the proper Ping to maximize effect.

#6 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Send a support ticket to PGI with that link to the video.

#7 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

it will be my pleasure.

#8 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

Does that not work both ways. Bouncing around makes hitting "your target" more difficult as well, from my exp anyways.. ;)

#9 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

It's kinda like the macro debate, 'purposely abusing something that wasn't intended', but happens without said abuse. I would say it is cheating if you're going out of your way to cause higher ping.

I'd also say it wouldn't be fun at all, like constant lag.

#10 Splitpin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationNoo Zeelund

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 10 April 2014 - 01:59 PM, said:

So I have this question after listening to some U-Tube... Is purposely inflating your Ping (VPN) fair to playing the game?

Absolutely. A stable higher ping in itself is not so much an issue, but manipulating it to produce big fluctuations sure is.

#11 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostSplitpin, on 10 April 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

Absolutely. A stable higher ping in itself is not so much an issue, but manipulating it to produce big fluctuations sure is.

Yes they discuss that fact and where the best Ping can be found.

View PostBobzilla, on 10 April 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

It's kinda like the macro debate, 'purposely abusing something that wasn't intended', but happens without said abuse. I would say it is cheating if you're going out of your way to cause higher ping.

I'd also say it wouldn't be fun at all, like constant lag.

With the exception that PGI said that some Macros are allowed and some cross the line.

Also ticket submitted.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 10 April 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

"We have to increase our ping to play better."

The best/saddest quote from the cheaters. ;)

#13 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

Care to share these videos?

Ed.: or am I guessing right and these are the same videos that appeared earlier on reddit?

Edited by w0rm, 10 April 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#14 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

It's up to the GMs to decide if it is cheating, but if it is providing any kind of advantage, the chances are high that they will rule it as such.

So please report the youtube video in question to support.

Please understand, that discussing such an exploit might further advertise its usage and I'll therfore have to close the thread to prevent that from happening.

#15 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:51 AM

You know you suck when you have to start manipulating your ping to believe you have a chance!

On the other hand, I remember exploiting a wacky bug in UO back in 99 or 2000 that made me a millionaire in that game :)

You had to walk around this specific house in a circle and open these boxes (or stack them, I can't remember exactly) in the right order, and every now and then a rare statue would materialize in one of the boxes. Did that for a few hours and sold the statues for like 200k gold each. Bought a house with the money, got he house stolen from me in a shady real estate deal which also resulted in my death

Ah the good old days

Edited by cSand, 11 April 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#16 Ordellus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostGallowglas, on 10 April 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

I don't know how anyone could think otherwise. You're purposefully abusing something that wasn't intended to gain competitive advantage. It's no different than replacing textures so you can easily spot enemy mechs.

The question really isn't whether it's cheating. It's whether you're likely to be caught doing it and punished for it. The answer in this case is almost certainly no.

That said, I have never understood why people do this sort of thing. Is your esteem so low that you have to create an artificial winning environment just to feel better about yourself even though you know you didn't earn it?

*You mean like lowering the graphics so that trees, smoke, shaders, and lighting aren't in the way......

*Or downloading a program that isn't related to the game at all so that you and friends can communicate in real time while the enemy team can't.....

*Or spending money to get a weapon that doesn't actually shoot out of any mech, that has infinity range, and can do damage without you aiming or being at any real risk what-so-ever....

Spoiler: This game caters to ******** that aren't good enough to win a fair fight.

Exploit the hell out of it, b/c that's apparently PGIs business model

#17 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostcSand, on 11 April 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

You know you suck when you have to start manipulating your ping to believe you have a chance!

On the other hand, I remember exploiting a wacky bug in UO back in 99 or 2000 that made me a millionaire in that game :)

You had to walk around this specific house in a circle and open these boxes (or stack them, I can't remember exactly) in the right order, and every now and then a rare statue would materialize in one of the boxes. Did that for a few hours and sold the statues for like 200k gold each. Bought a house with the money, got he house stolen from me in a shady real estate deal which also resulted in my death

Ah the good old days

It is funny that you said that cause in the video it was said that it was sad they had to do it to improve their game! So if you are doing this so others have a harder time hitting you... do you really have game in the first place? :blink:

View PostOrdellus, on 11 April 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

*You mean like lowering the graphics so that trees, smoke, shaders, and lighting aren't in the way......

*Or downloading a program that isn't related to the game at all so that you and friends can communicate in real time while the enemy team can't.....

*Or spending money to get a weapon that doesn't actually shoot out of any mech, that has infinity range, and can do damage without you aiming or being at any real risk what-so-ever....

Spoiler: This game caters to ******** that aren't good enough to win a fair fight.

Exploit the hell out of it, b/c that's apparently PGIs business model
The other team could use the same program AND the free server PGI/IGP maintain... or is it NG:NG that maintain the US and EU servers?

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 11 April 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#18 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Nobody is using a VPN to increase the amount of fluctuation in their ping. It's the opposite actually, which does improve HSR.

#19 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostAdiuvo, on 11 April 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

Nobody is using a VPN to increase the amount of fluctuation in their ping. It's the opposite actually, which does improve HSR.

on't know if its to improve HSR or to cause Lag shielding to overcome it, but the Lords are trying to break it in a hour long video.

#20 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

View PostOrdellus, on 11 April 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

any player can do this as it is inside the game. The games correct setting is minimum, everything else is a luxury for those that want it. If your eye candy needs make your game performance suffer then you should turn your gfx down aswell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users