1095 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Check out the Command Chair post from Bryan on UI 2.0 here!

View PostBryan Ekman, on 08 May 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Let's get started!

UI 2.0 is a significant overhaul of the existing MWO user interface, both on the surface and under the hood.

Three main goals:
  • Reduce friction for new players.
  • Communicate information in a clear and simple manner.
  • Make each screen relevant to the task at hand (contextual).
And one bonus goal:
  • And a make the Front End a little more sexy.
General Improvements
  • Full support for Windowed, Full Screen, and Full Window view modes.
  • Supports standard game resolutions 1024x768 to 1920x1200.
  • More dynamic, lots of nice transitions, takes advantage if Scaleform and Flash animations.
  • Supports element locking, useful for new players and tutorials.
  • Frames-safe for 4:3 resolutions.
  • New behind the scene UI architecture reduces bad states, improves stability, and reliability.
  • Faster.
NOTE: The following images are mock-ups (not screen shots). They represent Work In Progress (WIP) concepts that are subject to change. The data and item images found within these screens is not correct, and place holder only.

Elements

1 Horizontal Navigation Bar
2 Utility Bar
3 Vertical Navigation Bar
4 Contextual Status Menu
5 At-a-glance BattleMech Details
6 List Filtering
7 Compare Tool
8 List Item
9 Mech Efficiency Status

Overview
  • The horizontal navigation bar (1) has been made larger and easier to read.
  • The previous horizontal sub-nav bar has been replaced by a vertical nav bar (3).
  • The previous status bar has been split into the new utility bar (2) and the contextual status menu (4).
  • The previous two `Mech detail elements have been reworked slightly and separated (5). The Mech Detail screen gives players a much better overall view of the Mech loadout.
  • Standardized list element for all store and MechLab interfaces. Includes the ability to filter based on common concepts like A-Z, Price High to Low, Owned, Not Owned, In-Game, etc. (6).
  • Easy compare functionality standard throughout the UI. (7)
  • Standard list elements (8) showing Selected, Readied, Sale Status, In-Game Status, Price information, buy and configure buttons, and the Mech type and Name.
  • Current Mech Efficiency status – Basic, Elite, Master. (9)

This thread will serve as the official and dedicated feedback channel. Please keep your feedback, responses, comments and concerns limited to this thread so that we may ensure no valuable opinions are lost.

#2 sarkun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

The new UI is indeed an overhaul - I like some parts, some I'll deal with. One issue: I do not see where mech quirks would be displayed (the mech details do not show them) - If you want to make this UI newbie friendly, how about not hiding relevant informations from players?

EDIT 17/05/13:
Quirk display added! Thanks PGI!

Edited by sarkun, 17 May 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#3 VoodooLou Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 595 posts
  • LocationMember #2618

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

Like the way the Mechlab looks but until having hands on to break errr 'Beta Test' it I'll reserve final judgement.

#4 FrostCollar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Perhaps I'm a bit out of it - but does UI 2.0 allow us to see a list of all our owned mechs and nothing else? The only options I see either display all mechs of a weight class or the mechs you own and some mechs for sale in addition to them.

#5 keith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

looks meh, but have to wait to play with it. do like the shift tab form steam:D

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postsarkun, on 08 May 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

The new UI is indeed an overhaul - I like some parts, some I'll deal with. One issue: I do not see where mech quirks would be displayed (the mech details do not show them) - If you want to make this UI newbie friendly, how about not hiding relevant informations from players?

This is pretty important.

Either show a list of the mech's quirks, or just show the actual stats (I'd prefer the later, honestly), so we can see turning rate, acceleration, twist radius, etc on a per-variant basis.

It kind of sucks to have all these hidden tidbits about variants that make a surprising difference but are nearly impossible to know if you haven't seen the relevant patch notes.

#7 PropagandaWar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

Pretty damn sexy.

#8 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

I like it.

But different colors for different things in a section would be good. Like energy blue, ballistic red, etc.

It's exciting to see an actual MASSIVE change about to happen at long last! Thank you!

#9 Caviel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Posted Image

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a tiny bit of Clan weapon information in this screenshot/mockup on the LPL?

Edit: I'm thinking no upon closer inspection, looks like it may just be for the "comparison" feature since the data is placeholder.

Edited by Caviel, 08 May 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#10 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

View Postsarkun, on 08 May 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

I agree with this. Its pretty important to see every stat about every mech variant and see what makes them different. Other than that it looks good. Good job!

#11 Roburn Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 188 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

The weapon info section with compare function looks much more useful than what we have now. Can't really comment on the rest until I get my hands on it.

#12 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

"Menu and Social buttons have been replace by Logout and Settings, along with a new global chat/social interface similar to Steam."

Will there be any sort of global/general/facion wide chat in ui 2.0 or still just group/pre-drop chat? Also fluff, lore?

Looks great btw, really like it.

Edited by Budor, 08 May 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#13 Steadfast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 767 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

It sure is a big rework. I only very much do not like one thing though: Social and Groupings is the only thing that is NOIT available via a button push but over SHIFT + TAB? Why? Just because it works in Steam does not mean it should work here. Steam is a games platform wich has a social component on top of it to let you play with friends if you so choose. THIS game is ALL about beeing socially interactive WITH your frieends and teammates. This feature should not be put aside, it should be right up with everything else with a simple push of a button. Not stroking my keyboard.
IMO of course, yours obviously varies :'(
Cheers
Daniel

#14 EvilTwinTepe

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostSteadfast, on 08 May 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

It sure is a big rework. I only very much do not like one thing though: Social and Groupings is the only thing that is NOIT available via a button push but over SHIFT + TAB? Why? Just because it works in Steam does not mean it should work here. Steam is a games platform wich has a social component on top of it to let you play with friends if you so choose. THIS game is ALL about beeing socially interactive WITH your frieends and teammates. This feature should not be put aside, it should be right up with everything else with a simple push of a button. Not stroking my keyboard.
IMO of course, yours obviously varies :'(
Cheers
Daniel

I was JUST going to ask about this. I launch MWO from Steam (I launch all my games from there) - will the Shift+TAB step on my Steam UI? That's going to be problematic.

#15 James Montana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

I will have to get my hands on it in order to give any substantive feedback. I like the new features (i.e. being able to group weapons pre launch). Something that stuck out though were the proficiency banners (basic, elite, etc.); they seem a tad bit car salesman like. I would replace the "In Game" notification with one a bit more combat related, such as: Deployed. Other than that, I can't wait to give it a test.

Edited by James Montana, 08 May 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#16 Sturmwind

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:01 PM

What's that 3rd currency on the lowest screenshot? I'm curious .... something to do with the upcoming faction stuff? ;-)

#17 arkani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

nice, good design.
NOW GET IT OUT SO WE CAN BETA TEST.

Edited by arkani, 08 May 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#18 Kataris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

Let's see some concepts of that sexy sexy skill tree.

#19 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostSturmwind, on 08 May 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

What's that 3rd currency on the lowest screenshot? I'm curious .... something to do with the upcoming faction stuff? ;-)

Oh yeah... Interesting. ;)

#20 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

I actually felt more confused by that interface but I'm guessing it's just because it's only screenshots. The real thing will be interactive. I see some nice features in there. One thing I'd like to see is when you are setting your weapon groups, it tells you which ones come from what location. Left or right arm? Left or right torso? I might want to set up a group of 4 mlas with group 1 on the right arm and group 2 on the left.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users