Battlemech shadowhawk medium mech bite me fanboy

42 replies to this topic

#21 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 02 May 2014 - 12:46 PM, said:

I've seen nothing that makes me think 3 PPC's is a good idea. I've run into a few of them, and they just aren't able to handle the heat.

I think 2 PPC, 3 Streaks, and then a ton of heatsinks is the way to go.

It is not a very good idea... it is just the random fun and giggles of burning yourself down to throw a 30 dmg hit. ;)

It is not a build I would take very seriously running often.

#22 Shikata nai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:50 AM

If you are able to control your fire properly its decent but i think 2 PPC + SRMs / SSRMs is overall the better build.

#23 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

Well I changed it from 2x ppc, 1x mls, 3x streak... with XL280.

As a fast mini lrm boat it is a blast! 3x lrm10+art, 2x mls, tag, bap, endo, dhs, and JJ of course.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 03 May 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#24 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 18 April 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

When are they due to be available for c-bills?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5073eb2756eff48

I really want to try this sucker with the 3 LRM 10's.

You seem to have a free ton in there. AMS fits, with i think an extra JJ, or whatever to your taste.

SHD-2K

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 18 April 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Also thinking about a trip SRM 4...because I really found 6's to not be too good.

I'd have to see what the tube layout looks like. 6's work well in the hbk-4J because the tubes are all in a compact space. Ok, as well as SRMs are to be expected to work.

I know I shouldn't but I kind of want to pick one up and do this:

SHD-2K

Even though triple 4's and a pair of LLs would be much, much better. :P

Edited by Bagheera, 10 May 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#25 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostBagheera, on 10 May 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

You seem to have a free ton in there. AMS fits, with i think an extra JJ, or whatever to your taste.

SHD-2K

I'd have to see what the tube layout looks like. 6's work well in the hbk-4J because the tubes are all in a compact space. Ok, as well as SRMs are to be expected to work.

I know I shouldn't but I kind of want to pick one up and do this:

SHD-2K

Even though triple 4's and a pair of LLs would be much, much better. :P

The tubes are all tightly bunched on the right upper torso. With the 3rd group of tubes being on a wedge piece that gets added just above the normal 'torso' area.

I can try to take a screen shot if you like.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 11 May 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#26 Bigg Robb

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

I've got a 285XL, and 2 LPL and 2 LRM5 (3 tons ammo). I've been getting plenty of 2-4 kills 4-500 damage games while mastering it. Something about that double tap LRM5 (always chain fire LRM5's) and then the surgical saw of the LPL's just rocks it. Also using Adv Sensor range to max out the LRM cover. I've very happy with this build.

#27 Wattila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

I've found the 2xPPC + 3xSSRM2 build most well-rounded and effective.

Tried a 2xPPC + TAG + 3xLRM5 build which did more damage on average but relied on teammates to peel lights and ran a little hot. Could be better with ERLLs or sth.

3x LRM10 + 2xML + TAG is a really nice LRM build. Got lots of kills with the lasers too.

Something like 3x A+SRM6 + 3xML would probably be a pretty fun brawler but I'm still not a fan of the SRMs even after the patch.

#28 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostWattila, on 11 May 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

I've found the 2xPPC + 3xSSRM2 build most well-rounded and effective.

Tried a 2xPPC + TAG + 3xLRM5 build which did more damage on average but relied on teammates to peel lights and ran a little hot. Could be better with ERLLs or sth.

3x LRM10 + 2xML + TAG is a really nice LRM build. Got lots of kills with the lasers too.

Something like 3x A+SRM6 + 3xML would probably be a pretty fun brawler but I'm still not a fan of the SRMs even after the patch.

I was never really able to get the 3 LRM 5 build to be consistent, and you're right it runs very hot even with Large Lasers. AMS just eats it alive.

#29 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:24 AM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 12 May 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

I was never really able to get the 3 LRM 5 build to be consistent, and you're right it runs very hot even with Large Lasers. AMS just eats it alive.

I tried 5's initially as well and they just wont get through AMS coverage of any decent amount. Even a single AMS will chew through a good portion of them.

#30 Bigg Robb

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:41 AM

Whether I'm shooting LRM5 or 15, if I see a lot of AMS I target the enemy to the sides of their group, not the middle.

But the LRM5 is very good for drilling in head and center torso shots due to it's small grouping. Also good for chasing lights as more missiles actually hit than plow into the ground.

#31 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

View PostBigg Robb, on 12 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Whether I'm shooting LRM5 or 15, if I see a lot of AMS I target the enemy to the sides of their group, not the middle.

But the LRM5 is very good for drilling in head and center torso shots due to it's small grouping. Also good for chasing lights as more missiles actually hit than plow into the ground.

Trust me I avoid AMS like the plague, but there are those games where 6-8 guys on the opposing team have them, and I curse myself for having 5's.

#32 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

View PostGigastrike, on 15 April 2014 - 06:11 PM, said:

And a harasser/striker combination: SHD-2K

I fixed this one. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1115755f294f6e1

Edited by ArchSight, 12 May 2014 - 01:49 PM.

#33 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

LRMs, PPCs, ERLLAs, LPLs, SRMs, NARC+something......this mech can be anything that doesn't have ballistics, I keep chaning between them, and right now it's my favourite mech.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2831ecb8cb03f8b

one good build that wasn't posted yet.

Edited by fx8320, 12 May 2014 - 02:46 PM.

#34 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:05 PM

View PostArchSight, on 12 May 2014 - 01:48 PM, said:

I think what I've changed since then is I moved the jump jets to the center and removed some arm and leg armor for another heat sink, but thanks for the advice.

#35 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

And here’s what my own SHD-2K finally shook down into:

SHD-FXC/PL “Pack Leader”

Manufacturing Information:

Mass: 55 tons
Chassis: Lang T1 (ES Custom)
Power Plant: Fusion 350 Extralight
Cruising Speed: 103.2 kph
Maximum Speed: 103.2 kph
Jump Jets: 5
Armor: Maximillian 43
Manufacturer: Foxclone Mechworchs
Primary Factory: Back-Alley Tharkad Plant.
Communication System: External loudspeaker w/middle finger diagrams on the ‘Mech’s hands
Targeting and Tracking System: O/P 2000A, Pseudo Half-Busted C3i Edition

Weapons and Equipment:

Typical Configuration:
LT: 2x ERPPC, 2x Jump Jet
RT: 2x Jump Jet
CT: 1x Jump Jet

Breakdown:

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you put a Pack Hunter on juice?

Here’s your answer.

The SHD-FXC/PL Pack Leader is the latest in a long line of questionable custom ‘Mechs from equally questionable custom house Foxclone Mechworchs, designed to emulate a machine ripped straight from The Future…except with 25 additional tons and double the armament.

The SHD-2K base chassis is notable for its replacement of the typical left-torso ballistic hardpoints with a trio of energy hardpoints, further cementing the Shadow Hawk as a total replacement for any/all former Dragon pilots. Many players use it as a missile platform, using high-mounted TAG and a trio of LRM-10s to deliver explosions from afar. Foxclone Mechworchs decided to sling it the other way, noting many similarities between the SHD-2K and a certain, rather infamous thirty-ton Clan light ‘Mech whose development was overseen by an equally infamous Clan Khan.

A massive 350XL engine drives the Pack Leader to 113kph after Tweak, giving it very nearly the same level of get-up-and-go as its little brother. The Pack Hunter’s movement profile is further adhered to with the use of the 2K’s maximum allotment of jump jets, enabling significant aerial performance and seriously boosting the machine’s mobility. The enabling of poptart tactics is an unfortunate side effect of the decision, but pilots are encouraged to use the Pack Leader’s speed and agility as they were intended, rather than sitting behind a rock 800 meters away from the fight being cheeseheads.

The Pack Leader’s sole armament is its pair of ER PPCs, mounted in its left torso. These weapons constrict the ‘Mech’s view significantly, but offer it a wicked punch at any range. Heat management is a definite concern for the Pack Leader, but proper use of chain fire as well as proper use of not spamming high-heat weapons like a madman should keep the ‘Mech solidly in the fight even on boiling-hot maps such as Tourmaline or Mordor. As well as double basics rendering heat a nonissue, but that’s a problem for a different thread.

The SHD-FCX/PL is a solid mobile fire support machine which also serves as an excellent trainer for pilots who’re really quite terrible shots. Though the torso-locked weapons restrict the Pack Leader’s firing arc, the ‘Mech makes for a stable gunnery platform with which to practice one’s aim, and not dealing with twitchy arm crosshairs is a boon for pilots who need the practice more than the precision.

Give it a shot, or maybe even two, and be as close as you’re ever going to get to a Pack Hunter…that weighs an extra 25 tons, stands half again as tall, and looks suspiciously like a cosplaying Shadow Hawk.

#36 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

either this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f865ffba49e8daf
or this
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b75f582335a18de

Edited by Battlecruiser, 16 May 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#37 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 11 May 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

The tubes are all tightly bunched on the right upper torso. With the 3rd group of tubes being on a wedge piece that gets added just above the normal 'torso' area.

I can try to take a screen shot if you like.

Nah, no worries. I should probably pick up a third SHD anyway just to master them out. Honestly though I like the way the Griffon handles, probably grabbing two more of those first, lol.

#38 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

Buddy of mine swears by ERPPCx1 + PPCx2; I went 3 LPL

#39 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:45 PM

View PostMacksheen, on 18 June 2014 - 08:39 PM, said:

Buddy of mine swears by ERPPCx1 + PPCx2; I went 3 LPL

That guy's loco. :P

I don't know about "swears by," but it's super fun. NEVER alpha.

#40 Alianton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:16 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2c692994f151cbd

What about this? Tho, if I'm making a jumping sniper type, i was thinking of dropping the srms and just go for er ppcs and have more heat sinks...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users