#3 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostHeffay, on 15 April 2014 - 01:39 PM, said:

What's an infernal?

Marak Drok, being his usual self is pointing out that Yen-Lo-Wang is the chinese god of the dead and lord of nine hells in the most politically incorrect way possible without violating the CoC. All for the lulz of course. I am thinking he actually wants K-town more than answers.

#4 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Oh noooeeeees

Posted Image

#5 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:50 PM

I'm just going to give this thread the biggest...

WHATEVER

Possible.

Go tell Blizzard about how offended you are by the Diablo series, and not just the crappile that was Diablo 3

#6 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 15 April 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

Edit- Nathan I do not. This is legit. I am very against any reference to the Infernal names so do not mock me!

I was very against 3rd person and you see where that got me. Better to just say how much you love it and think its a great idea, might get more traction.

#7 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

never mind, misunderstood what you said

Edited by Roadbeer, 15 April 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#8 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 15 April 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

Unholy, Unjust, Seductive, Deceptive, Evil all in one (it also I believe has other meanings).

So.. the people who, when they throw a party, you want to make sure you get an invite to! Most excellent!

#9 Klappspaten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

Okay I want answers!

Marack why would you get upset by a Mech that has the name of a fictional character? It is just a Name!
Why? I find it extremely offensive. Why? It is just a name! Why would you use it, to impose your believe system on people that do not share it!?

As an atheist and secularist I can´t stand it anymore that religious people always try to impose their distorted world view on me. And that is what you are doing right here and right now. You are imposing your worldview on others by claiming that you are offended, but guess what. Right now I am offended too.

#10 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostKlappspaten, on 15 April 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

As an atheist and secularist I can´t stand it anymore that religious people always try to impose their distorted world view on me. And that is what you are doing right here and right now. You are imposing your worldview on others by claiming that you are offended, but guess what. Right now I am offended too.

First, i may not share Marack's view on Yen-Lo, personally i dont care.

However, from an agnostic point of view it actually annoys me just as much when full atheists decide what is imposing and what is not. By claiming a religious person's world view is distorted, you are implying that your world view is correct. Meaning your imposing your world view, thus making you a hypocrite.

I for one, am offended by the lack of Atlai in this thread.

#11 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

Names of mass murderers mean nothing to me, its what they did that makes me grind my teeth.

But in my eyes that isn´t even the same. Those men did what they did in reality. If you compare them with Yen lo Wang you also could compare them to Darth Vader. Real people who did horrible things in reality and fictional characters that vaguely resemble what we today understand as satan are not comparable.
And the understanding of "Satan", or whatever you want to call it, which we have today mainly comes from H.P. Lovecraft, and not the Bible.
If you pledge that those words should be banned you basically try to change what I am allowed to say or not to say based on your beliefsystem that I do not share. Or do you see me go into the thread of the seraphim and tell them "god is not real"?

If PGI went ahead and named a Mech after real mass murderer I probably would strong disagree with that decission. But that would not be the same. If they would name a Hero Mech "Darth Vader" I would probably buy it just for shits and giggles.

View PostMason West, on 15 April 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

However, from an agnostic point of view it actually annoys me just as much when full atheists decide what is imposing and what is not. By claiming a religious person's world view is distorted, you are implying that your world view is correct. Meaning your imposing your world view, thus making you a hypocrite.

Yes, you are right. I should have chosen another way to deliver my point.
But mainly I turned his own argument. I do not care what he believes, its his believe and its not my place to judge him.
However, if somebody is trying to limit other peoples speech based on his own worldview he IS trying to impose his view. And it is absolutely my place to disagree wih that.

Edited by Klappspaten, 15 April 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#12 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 15 April 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

What if I named a mech {Godwin's Law}? Its just a name so why should anyone get offended? Or Jeffery Dahmer? Just names. Why would anyone be offended if I used them? Its no different Klapp in this case.

Well, those two weren't fictional characters?

:)

#13 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

View PostKlappspaten, on 15 April 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

Yes, you are right. I should have chosen another way to deliver my point.
But mainly I turned his own argument. I do not care what he believes, its his believe and its not my place to judge him.
However, if somebody is trying to limit other peoples speech based on his own worldview he IS trying to impose his view. And it is absolutely my place to disagree wih that.

Thank you, subject dropped.

I also agree with your point on speech.

View PostMarack Drock, on 15 April 2014 - 03:09 PM, said:

How about we switch this to the Atlai vs Atlas thread where we try to rewrite mythology so there were to Atlases to hold up the sky and the Greeks argued if it should be Atlai or Atlases.

Atlai wins fool, nothing shall stop the coming of the great titan! Its just going to take a long time... Atlai only moves at 48 Kph.

Edited by Mason West, 15 April 2014 - 03:18 PM.

#14 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

I dont want to sound like an smartass.
But actually in the greek mythology Atlas was the name of a person henceforth, no plural, just Atlas.

View PostMarack Drock, on 15 April 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

Again failure to see that there are more points of view than just atheistic. In religion those "fictional" characters are real and if any of you want any respect of people you need to respect their beliefs. I respect atheism. I don't believe it but I respect your choices and views.

Edit- Holy crap we are at 20 posts. PEOPLE I ALREADY APOLOGIZED! LET IT GO! Or can we change subjects so I can go show of my Wang.

Yeah, I think I kind of overreacted.
I had a lenghty discussion with a friends father who was giving me his favourite "atheists go to hell" crap. Maybe that was just a touchy topic. ^^

#15 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

I don't care about your silly Greekz! that was 10gajillion years ago! i care about what is here and now! and that is!

ATLAI!!!!!

#16 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

The question is about this:
Is the Battlemech Atlas named after the greek titan Atlas, after the Atlas Mountains or is it called after an Atlas which is a kind of map. If it is called after the Titan, it is a personal name and the plural therefore not defined. Is it called after the Mountains it is Atlai, since it describes a known amount. And if it is called after the kind of map it is Atlases, since it describes an unknown amount.
At least its like that if it is in english similar to how it is in german. But as far as I know, the plural forms are quite similar in english and german, grammarwise.

#17 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Its Atlai, accept my distorted world.

#18 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 15 April 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

ich zustimmen mit Klappspatens Beispiel

edit Translation-I agree with Klappspaten's example.

Almost dude, "zustimmen" is the correct translation for "to agree", but since its german, the grammar is a bit more complicated.
Although you took the correct therm its a different form in this case. The prefix "zu" is detached from the rest of the word in order to illustrate the subject with whom you agree.
In english you have two words at this point. "to agree", means "zustimmen", only "agree" on its own still is translated with "zustimmen", but in the context of a sentence you split it in "zu" and "stimmen". Other than in english the prefix is a part of the word itself.
The order of the sentence is in general the same as in english, subject, attribute, object.

In this scentence "I" is the subject, "agree with" the attribute and "Klappspaten" the object. In german the attribute will be split to surround the object, respectively the person you agree with.

So you start just as in english with the subject: "Ich", wich means "I".

Then you continue with the attribute: "zustimmen", wich means "to agree", but you split the prefix "zu", from the word, whats left is "stimme" the "n" at the end is discarded completely.

After that comes the object: which in this case is "Klappspaten", or any other person or statement you agree with.

And at the end of the scentence the prefix of the attribute is used to surround the object: "zu", which is basically the same as "to"

So the complete scentence, subject, attribute, object, prefix of the attribute, is: "Ich stimme Klappsspaten zu."

But other than that the scentence was quite good. This is probably one of the harder cases in the german language. Especially since in english and most of the other languages this case doesnt even exist. And to make it even a bit more complicated there are some adjectives that are not subject to this case. German grammar is really a mess. :)

Edited by Klappspaten, 15 April 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#19 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

I just started Japanese in college, learning new languages is so much fun!

Almost as much as Atlai.

#20 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:01 PM

View PostMason West, on 15 April 2014 - 06:46 PM, said:

I just started Japanese in college, learning new languages is so much fun!

Almost as much as Atlai.

Give me some well piloted mediums and I make your Atlai dance. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users