My Journey So Far

283 replies to this topic

#21 Bulletsponge0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

trial jenner didn't go so well.....hard to tell if it was me or because my team got stomped though

#22 CG Chicken Kn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,138 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines, Ontario

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:17 AM

Keep in mind that when you use the trial jenner you have no 2x basic efficiencies, no elite skills (Speed tweak!) , and no modules.

And great games in it are very situational. Running with another couple lights on voice makes a lot of difference.
Knowing which enemies will blap you fast matters too. Five streak 2 Kintaro's for exampe, run away!
Partner in ecm Raven or Cicada, big difference there too.

Especially since they will get primaried before you lol!

Takes quite a while to learn to use jump jets to best advantage as well. At least the trial is a very good build.
Good luck and have fun.

#23 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:41 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 01 May 2014 - 05:20 PM, said:

trial jenner didn't go so well.....hard to tell if it was me or because my team got stomped though

So, being successful in lights USUALLY employs one of 4 loadouts/strategies. Everyone else, please feel free to chime in or tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about :P

1. ECM lights with 1-2 ERLL. The Raven 3L and Spider 5D are the kings here. They stay way way back, hiding in ECM, taking potshots with their lasers. As a result, they're often the last alive on the losing team, if their team loses. They can rack up HIGH damage and the people they kill often never even see them...but are sometimes trolled by their teams for their particular playstyle.

2. Lights with Machine Guns. The Spider 5K. The Huginn. The Ember. These guys are mid- to late- game crit seekers, looking to exploit unarmored legs on lights and unarmored torsos on everything else. They'll make bigger mechs with XL's very nervous at the end of matches, but are generally ignored at the start. Don't waste your ammo on armored sections...wait for them to open up or open them up yourself. The Spider 5K is kinda screwed here. Personally, I think the Ember does this best.

3. Medium Laserboat Lights. Jenners. Firestarters. These guys are the giant killers, using their superior mobility to position themselves for that PERFECT 25-40 pt alpha into the rear torso armor of an unsuspecting mech, or into the front CT armor of a mech preoccupied with somebody else. You are shoot and scoot...you will be tempted to stop your mech and take those perfect shots...but beware...his buddy will see you and kill you. REMAIN IN MOTION.

4. Lights with streaks. The Huginn, the Command 2D (ECM!) and the king, the Jenner-D. Your job is to find other lights, and kill them. You are fast enough to always keep up with them. Use your streaks constantly while following them, and shoot them in the legs with your medium lasers. You'll be able to help with the big boys in the Jenner...in the Huginn...less so...it's entirely ammo dependent. Always use BAP, or enemy ecm will render your streaks useless. In the 2D...find other lights and bless them with the gift of ECM...and help them kill whatever they focus on.

Those are the 4 strategies I find most effective...and in all of them FEAR THE MEDIUM STREAKBOAT. Mechs carrying the auto-damage of streaks are your worst nightmare, since they almost always have BAP nowadays so any ECM you have won't save you. Avoid them if possible...drag them to teammates if you can't get away. Unless they are already severely damaged...it's not a fight you generally want to be in.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 02 May 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#24 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

View PostCG Chicken Kn, on 02 May 2014 - 04:17 AM, said:

Keep in mind that when you use the trial jenner you have no 2x basic efficiencies, no elite skills (Speed tweak!) , and no modules.

And great games in it are very situational. Running with another couple lights on voice makes a lot of difference.
Knowing which enemies will blap you fast matters too. Five streak 2 Kintaro's for exampe, run away!
Partner in ecm Raven or Cicada, big difference there too.

Especially since they will get primaried before you lol!

Takes quite a while to learn to use jump jets to best advantage as well. At least the trial is a very good build.
Good luck and have fun.
oh...I had fun playing it...and am considering tadding the Jenner to my stable ...gonna need some viable lights even after my clan Lexus arrive...but for the team, that match didn't go well...might try it again tonight..but I'm so addicted to my raven....

#25 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:16 PM

Hey Bulletsponge, saw you in game a bit ago, good piloting with the Raven! Sadly I made a bad decision on my part. I did ask to drop with a few games, but you already dropped too quick to see the message, so I chose to play a few more games before I have to head out (which is after this post). Anyway, good to see you on the battlefield, and maybe another time we could do dual Ravens or something similar (I've all 3 Ravens if you're interested, with a RVN-3L build pretty much the same with one TAG instead of one ML). Anyway, good to see you in game. ;)

#26 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

View Postluxebo, on 02 May 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Hey Bulletsponge, saw you in game a bit ago, good piloting with the Raven! Sadly I made a bad decision on my part. I did ask to drop with a few games, but you already dropped too quick to see the message, so I chose to play a few more games before I have to head out (which is after this post). Anyway, good to see you on the battlefield, and maybe another time we could do dual Ravens or something similar (I've all 3 Ravens if you're interested, with a RVN-3L build pretty much the same with one TAG instead of one ML). Anyway, good to see you in game. ;)

fun playing with you (sorry to have to kill you ;) ) anytime you want to drop, let me know....unfortunately I didn't see your invite in time tonight

#27 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 02 May 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

fun playing with you (sorry to have to kill you ;) ) anytime you want to drop, let me know....unfortunately I didn't see your invite in time tonight

It's alright, but yeah, next time we might be able to drop together, would be awesome. ;)

#28 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

Update:

So, last night I actually took part in my first pre-made drop (first as a 2 man..then 3 man...then 4 man) with a few people that have posted in this very thread.

From my start on MWO, I have been having a blast...never a bad moment. But last night, dropping as an actual part of a team (we didn't overly concentrate on teamwork....or maybe they did and I didn't...) and it was, by far, the most fun I've had on MWO so far. We played many matches...we won some, we lost some...I played well in some, made some boneheaded mistakes in some...but it was an incredibly fun time.

To the pilots with whom I dropped last night...thank you, I salute you, and am looking forward to doing it again ..sooner rather than later....

#29 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

Good on you op!
One more player out of derping assaults/heavies not trying to stack sheer mass/weight on his side gets a +1 from me!

#30 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 03 May 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

Good on you op!
One more player out of derping assaults/heavies not trying to stack sheer mass/weight on his side gets a +1 from me!

thanks...I LOVE my lil' Raven....and have killed more than I've died in it so far too...

now, about that dam W/L ratio......

#31 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

Yeah, those were some fun little matches. :unsure: If anything, hopefully I can maybe get a time when no one is sleeping around then we can attempt to use mics or something like that, as TS is really helpful (even when just listening, though it's hard to hear everything, most people have either lowly set mics or keep mumbling.) Maybe even someday we can get into private matches/12 mans together or something similar. :P Would be fun but super hard to organize.

#32 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

On a side note op and to repeat what Ghost Badger said to an extent I've only found 3 ways to play a light effectively.

#1 Run a medium laser boat, be it a Jenner or a Firestarter. Wait for your heavier team mates to engage (this is not a given-you may have noticed how timid the playerbase is) search out that weakspot and then get behind the enemy, but not so far as to cut your line of escape off. You must ALWAYS have a line of escape.
I'd forgo hitting rear CT to be honest, many mechs use XL engines and rear ST usually are lighter armoured. Look at the enemy loadout (BAP is great way to reduce time needed and try to get info gathering module) certain loadouts need to use an XL and these derpers are your bread and butter, they are your meat to chew on:P

#2 Hit and run sniper. Best employed by Raven 3L to be honest due to ECM low target profile and hi mounted weapon points, this last point is key. The higher the weapon mount the better. You expose less of yourself when you fire. You also want BAP and target gathering to speed up time it takes to get detailed info. You need to know quickly what area to snipe with your 18pt alpha. When sniping, don't poke over the same spot too many times in the Words of Miyamoto Musashi "You can repeat the same thing twice, but never a third time."

#3 As a dedicated spotter for a premade using lrms. I run my Raven 3L with a NARC (24 rounds of ammo), a TAG and a large laser ER.

Contrary to what idiots will yell and bleat, lights are by far from op and require masses of skills to pay well. I salute you on your efforts in this chassis, and if you have any questions at all please pm me-I'd be happy to oblige you.

#33 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostBulletsponge0, on 03 May 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

(we didn't overly concentrate on teamwork....or maybe they did and I didn't...)

I was a little tired and somewhat distracted (was working on some free classes after I died/between matches) so I wasn't coordinating overly well either.

Having said that though - despite what the detractors love to say, this is very much a team based game, and even a poorly coordinated group will go further than a completely non-coordinated group. :unsure:

#34 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 03 May 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

I was a little tired and somewhat distracted (was working on some free classes after I died/between matches) so I wasn't coordinating overly well either.

Having said that though - despite what the detractors love to say, this is very much a team based game, and even a poorly coordinated group will go further than a completely non-coordinated group. :unsure:

I think we were in it more for the fun last night than the hardcore-teamwork-win-at-all-costs gameplay that some love...and it was a TON of fun.....

#35 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

another day.more drops in 2-4 man groups.....more TONS of fun......

once again, to all that have dropped in a group with me...thank you and I'm looking forward to doing it again

#36 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:25 PM

A small group on voice is always more fun.

It's when you face another small group that things get interesting!
(I'm the green Hunch and the voice doing the countdown.)

Edited by Koniving, 04 May 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#37 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

Weirdly in MW4 i had the most fun in lights and low end mediums (played heavies competition also only because we needed effective mechs).

In MWO I find i am much prefering heavy mechs though i deperatly WANT to love the medium class again.

Thanks for your story man :(

#38 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:58 PM

To really learn the game, you need to take your beating before it will get better...

I would say play with a 4man on ts3 and you will learn this game in as little as 2 weeks...

be open to suggestions in terms of builds and play styles

#39 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

Nice to see an OP with a positive post about getting started and learning the game!

It is amazing how your journey changes as you try new things! Having been around since closed beta I (indeed as have many of the veteran players offering advice) have personally experienced so many different things, including the ups and downs that have come along the way (LRM-aggedon, the introduction of ECM, giant atlas head hitboxes and the epic splatcat/gausscat phases to name just a few).

Still with all the ups and downs, love the game - even if I may put up a critical post from time to time!

As a founder I started out with the Catapult and Atlas as my favorite mechs! The Atlas has since been a staple in my regular drops! Playing the game so much I also pretty much picked up at least 3 of all the variants as they came out, some of my favorite mech releases;
  • The firebrand - By far this is my favorite mech, I love jagers a lot and could not snap this up quick enough!
  • Learning that spiders are not so bad - Yeah, we all know the issues with spiders & I personally used to hate them with a passion, couldnt pilot them for the life of me either!! But after a bit of a beating (to quote Mycrus), I learned how to play them and their particular style. Turned out they are amazingly good fun!
  • Ember - Was not too crazy about the hero mechs that came out after the FB, that was until the Ember came out!! This mech is ridiculously fun to play with!
  • Battlemasters - Loved getting the phoenix pack, these mechs gave hope for AC/2's! Best mech of the phoenix pack!
  • The Yen Lo - Have my highest KDR with this one, it is such a fun medium to play with and was my first hero mech!
Now after study I have a mech back-log.. ...cant wait to try out the onion, banshee, griffin and wolverine!!

Weapon wise there has been so many changes I would be here all day.. ..the gauss used to be my favorite on all my mechs given its speed and range.. ..just a bit sad it has that annoying charging period now! AC/5's have always been a staple and I cannot lie, I do not remember the last time I used small lasers! MG's got a good buff which really helped out the spider builds (although quite a mixed bag of impressions - some calling it OP (lol), others thinking it still lacks...)

These days pretty much hang around my phracts, firestarters, jagers, atlas, spiders and battlemasters! :(

#40 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:55 AM

I dropped a few with him and it's nice to see a beginner who is eager to learn, we had some fun games, a couple a bit chaotic but good:)
Sorry to be all Miyagi Sensei on you fella-but tactics are important too:P
Did you get to watch that light video?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users