Best Missile Boat Chasiss

95 replies to this topic

#1 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

For mediums I'm using the griffins, cats for my heavies (though may swap that if there is a decent option with better hit boxes)

Now for lights, I know that's not really an option (other than some raven builds... surprisingly)

For assaults iirc the best choices for me are the highlander or the stalker. With the highlander being a better choice with the jump jets

#2 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:05 AM

As mediums go,the Trenchbucket is king,followed closely by griffins

#3 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:54 AM

Well considered the trebucets, and may try them down the road.

Most of the builds lack jump jets. If I can't adapt easily with jets, the ride just seems slow and ungainly. I need the mobility options.

So it seems to break down like this:
Jump capable (all lrm models)
Medium - Griffin (lrm20 to 25)
Heavy - Catapult (bread and butter lrm30-40; not considering troll builds)
Assault - Highlander (decent comparison to the cats, haven't really done smurfy on them yet)

Non/partial jump capable
Medium - Trebuchet (mini non-jumping catapult) , Kintaro (lrm5 spammer... which I hate)
Heavy - Orion (not so sure if there is a wide number of build options, but been mentioned)
Assault - Stalker (the goto for many, the tube counts make me grind teeth...)

#4 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

I think the 2 best LRM boats in the assault class are the HGN-733 and the BLR-1S. I'd put THIS in competition with any LRM boat Stalker. While the Stalker does tank better, this thing is faster, and the only only Stalker that can put as many missiles in the air at once is very prone to getting flanked.

#5 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

The Highlander 733P is a great LRM boat. I prefer it to the 733 because you can pack 3xLRM20+Artemis with plenty of ammo and still have 3xML for backup plus a tag.

#6 crossflip

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSouth India

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

The most common lurmboats I see are catapults. The second most common, however, are atlai. :P

#7 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostMortVent, on 10 May 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

For mediums I'm using the griffins, cats for my heavies (though may swap that if there is a decent option with better hit boxes)

Now for lights, I know that's not really an option (other than some raven builds... surprisingly)

For assaults iirc the best choices for me are the highlander or the stalker. With the highlander being a better choice with the jump jets

Try these on for size:

Lights :
Jenner D - it has 2 missile points that allow 10lrms. I've had good success with it as a harrasser after the AMS runs dry or on mechs that didn't pack it. It also is great weaponry to startle other lights with who think they're being smart and staying out of your streak range they expect.

Jener Oxide - All missile points means 20lrms are possible. The usual problems will be there.

Mediums:

Kintaros I revisted the KTOs and have been having excellent success. Yes, I miss my jumpjets, but their durability as an LRM5 build is so much fun with the 19 and 20.

Shadowhawks - the 2D2 and 5M are fantastic LRMishers. They pretty much set the class. the 2H is horrible, and I hear good things about the K "Zombiehawk".

Heavies:

Orion. Bar none the best missileboat I have is the VA. Even leaves the catapults in the dust. Far more durable, just as fast, more ammo, but no JJ. I cannot recommend the Orion VA highly enough for this job.

#8 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:21 AM

Lights- Oxide, Jenner K & D, Huggin, Raven 4X, raven 2X and the two missle locusts. (the commandos I am not sure about running as LRM boats)

Mediums- This is wide open with many good mechs, but the Griffin works wonders. The kintaro is there for the LRM 5 spam, Then the Trench buckets, well one has JJ's.

Heavy, The ca'st will pounce. They are also hard to beat. The Jagermech - A can be a very good LRM boat, but does not have JJ. It can mount a few MG's for clean up, after the LRMs are gone. Also they do not have ears like the Cats to shoot off.

Assaults- The stalkers make me cringe with the tube counts, but this may be an advantage for kills. Due to speed indirect fire may be used a lot. Battlemasters, well the 1S is hard to beat, with 50 tubes and the ability to run around 70. The highlander has JJ's so it does have mobility, and the ability to mount other back up weapons.

What I would use,

Lights Jenner K or the huggin (still trying to figure this bird out)

Medium, Griffin (i still want to try the kintaro and the trenchbucket out.)

Heavy Jagermech A (chain firing 4 LRM 15's is great after the initial volley of 60)

Assault Battlemaster 1S (hard choice due to the highlanders)

#9 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

I really like my Jagermech as a LRM boat. It has more subtle missile boxes while still having 15 missile volleys and can reasonably cram up to 4xLRM15s into it (though I think 2xLRM15 is plenty while giving you alternate weaponry loadouts in the remaining ballistic, energy, and missile hardpoints).

Edited by Ruccus, 11 May 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#10 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

Well after I finish my griffin elites and mastery, I'll move up to the highlanders (keeping the cats for now may get the jaggers... have most of them at least partially trained up from past games)

#11 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

It's funny. I own KTO, SDH, CPLT and ON1 missiliers, but no GFNs. I think I may have to change that.

Yes the JM missile boat is a very fun mech, but... if you don't elite them, you're permenantly hamstringing yourself.. and I don't run non-missile mechs by choice. YMMV

BTW, the Victor can be fun, but it can't boat.

Edited by Kjudoon, 11 May 2014 - 09:30 AM.

#12 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

I'm going to troll and say the Atlas DDC makes a good missile boat.

#13 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

oh I got tired of the jags lack of jump jets... got my cats mastered. The jags are all in elites..

#14 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostUrsh, on 11 May 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

I'm going to troll and say the Atlas DDC makes a good missile boat.

On Alpine, within 750 m of my griffin. I chose the engagement area, time and from what direction to attack from.

All though I have seen people put an LRM 10 with two SRM 6's in there to keep heads down while advancing.

You can slap in an LRM 15 or an LRM 20 and 2xLRM10's in the atlas So when you hit fire that is 22 missiles and .5 seconds later 13 or 18 missiles. There are interesting effects when using launchers larger than the number of tubes for the hard point.

#15 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:29 AM

I only have run a medium LRM boat recently... so my input on them. Shawk-2k for sure. Although I have been tempted to try a Golden Boy if one goes on sale, it could be very good I think.

#16 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

For assaults, it's either the Highlander 733 or the Battlemaster 1S. Both can launch 50 missiles in a single volley with no interuption, though the Battlemaster does it for a ton less. The Battlemaster also can mount a high shoulder Tag and more Medium lasers for backup, while the Highlander can mount some backup Dakka if you want, but if you don't, you have at most 2 MLs for backup (as opposed to 3+TAG in the BLR. BLR is also more agile than the HGN. Stalkers can be good, but their tubes are a pain outside of the 3H and I dislike the staggering effect the missile bay doors have.

Don't forget the Kintaro in the medium chasis. The Golden Boy has more tubes than any other mech.

#17 Zigeunerskat

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

Even though my gut says its Stalkers, my experience says Battlemasters and Highlanders.

The BLR 1S has the hardpoints and the tubes and mounts energy weapons as high as the cockpit, making it ideal to shoot or TAG over hills. The build I run is slow, but has a hard hitting rocket punch, backup weapons for close range and some long range pinpoint punch. It is also perfect to troll DDCs with as you can disable their ECM with the PPC and rain missles on them.

This Highlander also performed well for me and plays similar to the Battlemaster, however I gave up on mobility with the small engine and no JJs. But it sure packs a punch.
However I do feel more comfortable with the Battlemaster as energy hardpoints go better with LRMs because you can pack incredibly weight- and slot effective, infinite ammo weapons like Medium Lasers.

I found 40 tubes to be enough for a LRM boat. You can fire a deadly amount of missles with a manageable heat buildup, dont waste your ammo too fast when you miss some shots and still have room for some backup weapons, AMS and BAP. But even if you want more missles, the Highlander and Battlemaster got the tubes.

#18 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

I vote awesomes, let me break 600dmg for the first time...and 700....and 800.... back in the good ol 8 vs 8s, still use em as well, though having more fun ppcing with the 8q for now

#19 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostZigeunerskat, on 11 May 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

The BLR 1S has the hardpoints and the tubes and mounts energy weapons as high as the cockpit, making it ideal to shoot or TAG over hills. The build I run is slow, but has a hard hitting rocket punch, backup weapons for close range and some long range pinpoint punch. It is also perfect to troll DDCs with as you can disable their ECM with the PPC and rain missles on them.

TAG disables ECM so no need for PPCs to do that job

i'v been playing LRM mechs almost exclusively for the last 4 months, and my jag-A is my go-to LRM mech - JJ are a waste on an LRM mech IMO. the Catapult could do the exact same job ever so slightly better than the jag, but as a chassis i think all the jags are individually way more useful than any 3 Cats. i only chain LRMs so i prefer to have 4+ LRM mounts

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e23ca232983fab9

i just basic'd 2 BLRs so i could buy this baby next

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...45947a506ac54d0

i think this is the single best LRM mech in MWO - high mounted TAG, good speed and lots of armour to stay out of trouble, and ammo, ammo, ammo

#20 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostEscef, on 11 May 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

I think the 2 best LRM boats in the assault class are the HGN-733 and the BLR-1S. I'd put THIS in competition with any LRM boat Stalker. While the Stalker does tank better, this thing is faster, and the only only Stalker that can put as many missiles in the air at once is very prone to getting flanked.

No ams, no BAP. One ECM light mech dancing around it and it is good as dead (I have a fondness for RVN-3L's with the 360 targetting module), as it cannot fire and if the enemy has missiles it is in for a world of hurt. With a BAP, even if you cannot shoot at the light, you can still get lock-ons to other enemy mechs. The other problem is the STK-3H may be both slower and easier to flank, but with 2LRM5's and 2LRM20's, instead of 2LRM10's and 2LRM15's, the STK-3H has less ghost heat issues (My STK-3H and BLR-1S have the same tube count and number of DHS, but the BLR-1S has worse heat issues)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users