Clan Variants

91 replies to this topic

#61 JakeEDogge

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

When I was playing the table top version of the game I rapidly got frustrated by the Clan mechs. They were supposed to be these awesome killing machines able to take on twice their own number of I.S. mechs and win without ganging up on them. They never could and in the end I resorted to building my own mechs with an emphasis on better armour and more USEABLE firepower. Take the Nova for example. Twelve ER mediums?? You're never going to be able to use that effectively. These mechs could have been, should have been, so much more effective. All a bit sad really.

#62 Vanguard319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 22 May 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Or at least the Omni pods. Still think we really could use the Kit Fox C's ECM arm as a purchasable pod.

Don't forget the Dire Wolf C, it also has ECM.

I noticed that among most of the clan mechs we're getting, there are no ECM variants officially listed. We'll probably get pods with the feature, but even those are few among the current chassis.

#63 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostVanguard319, on 23 May 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Don't forget the Dire Wolf C, it also has ECM.

I noticed that among most of the clan mechs we're getting, there are no ECM variants officially listed. We'll probably get pods with the feature, but even those are few among the current chassis.

Dire Wolf C is in the future. Too far in the future.

#64 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 23 May 2014 - 12:31 PM, said:

The only thing thing that mostly surprised me as many others is the Timberwolf S (and the Kit Fox S too).

I mean, really? A Timberwolf with JJs?

Of course i would love having them (Leaping at the throat of my prey like a wolf.. Ok this is starting being repetitive) on my TWolf..

But i fear that the other configurations will be found less interesting than it.. And now Aidan Pryde's Timberwolf hero 'Mech has less sense to be made..

Last but not the least, i must get used to a Timberwolf with JJs ;)

I am pretty sure the Hero would still be made if it means "unique" with boost and paintjob and a way for pgi to get some moneys

#65 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

How will the Advanced Targeting Computer work?

#66 ultraFloon

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

thank you for all the info mech.CoffiNail ;)

#67 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:30 AM

View PostTodd Lightbringer, on 23 May 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

Only thing I can possibly think of is the smaller frame, width wise, of the Thor. Don't have two massive CRT TVs mounted on your shoulders either.

However, if you assume that the launchers will be removable and scale with launcher size, that is not nearly as much of a disadvantage, especially with the state of missiles in general.

#68 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

View Post101011, on 24 May 2014 - 05:30 AM, said:

However, if you assume that the launchers will be removable and scale with launcher size, that is not nearly as much of a disadvantage, especially with the state of missiles in general.

Or if you hope to exploit the C-XL Engine, without the pods you have virtually no side torso to absorb hits that would otherwise hit your CT. Being able to spread the damage is going to increase survivability.

#69 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:45 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 24 May 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

Or if you hope to exploit the C-XL Engine, without the pods you have virtually no side torso to absorb hits that would otherwise hit your CT. Being able to spread the damage is going to increase survivability.

Any half-decent player will have no issues avoiding those pods and hitting the CT anyways, as they are too elevated and too small to act as any kind of shield.

#70 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:15 AM

View Post101011, on 24 May 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

Any half-decent player will have no issues avoiding those pods and hitting the CT anyways, as they are too elevated and too small to act as any kind of shield.

You would be surprised. Most of my damage tends to come at closer ranges, in spitting distance where turning the mech and snapping the torso can outpace accurate aiming in a complex mid range brawl type situation. Last night, for example, I had three mechs on my ass and, despite an XL engine, forced them to take both my arms off, one of my legs off, and remove all the armor from my front and back before they got me. By that time, my allies killed two of them. XD

Having a part that can be thrown in the way seems potentially advantageous to me. Then again, having a smaller profile is its own reward. Given the size the CT looks like it will be on the Timber Wolf, it could be of benefit either way.

#71 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,682 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:10 AM

What I don't understand is this:

Mad Cat/Timber Wolf, Black Hawk/Nova, Uller/Kit Fox -- all have S variants

But the Daishi doesn't. What gives?

#72 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:21 AM

View PostHawk819, on 24 May 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

Because that would have been THE Assault to play? :ph34r:

#73 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostHawk819, on 24 May 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

Probably because the loadout on it does not deviate much from the existing potential hardpoints to mix and match. They might sell the omni-pods for the S separately that come with jump jet hard points in them, however. That said, a 100 tonner with jump jets is going to get off the ground extremely slowly. I am not exactly sure it would be worth each 2 ton jump jet on a 100 ton mech. o_0

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 24 May 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#74 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 24 May 2014 - 06:15 AM, said:

You would be surprised. Most of my damage tends to come at closer ranges, in spitting distance where turning the mech and snapping the torso can outpace accurate aiming in a complex mid range brawl type situation. Last night, for example, I had three mechs on my ass and, despite an XL engine, forced them to take both my arms off, one of my legs off, and remove all the armor from my front and back before they got me. By that time, my allies killed two of them. XD

Having a part that can be thrown in the way seems potentially advantageous to me. Then again, having a smaller profile is its own reward. Given the size the CT looks like it will be on the Timber Wolf, it could be of benefit either way.

I just do not quite see how it is that the launcher could be thrown in the way. The arms, certainly, but not the launcher.
Posted Image
That launcher is flush with the arm, and to get it in the way would require that the enemy 'Mech be considerably taller. It is like using the Cat's arms to shield the CT.

#75 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

From a light, perhaps not. From a ground bound mech, perhaps not again. However, from anything that is, say, poptarting, it could very well protect the torso. From anything taller, like an Atlas, it could protect the torso. If someone gets LRMs on you they will catch it, too. Not going to protect you from everything, sure, but it will protect you from something.

#76 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 24 May 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

I am not exactly sure it would be worth each 2 ton jump jet on a 100 ton mech. o_0

People seem to think it is worth it for a 90 toner....

#77 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, but the difference in jump impulse between a Victor and highlander are night and day, and Highlander is 90, whereas a Dire Wolf is 100.

#78 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 24 May 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Yeah, but the difference in jump impulse between a Victor and highlander are night and day, and Highlander is 90, whereas a Dire Wolf is 100.

True - and I am not expecting much from a JJ'ing Dire Wolf (if we get those parts)

But I am also very very much aware that the Shadowhawk was supposed to be worthless - and the Thud and BM supposed to be the New Meta! :ph34r:

#79 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Looks like it will be Timber Wolf Online soon.

#80 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 May 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

True - and I am not expecting much from a JJ'ing Dire Wolf (if we get those parts)

But I am also very very much aware that the Shadowhawk was supposed to be worthless - and the Thud and BM supposed to be the New Meta! :)

Well, I really like Thud, mostly XL-friendly, all-energy and mixed builds... Pretty much the Awesome the way it's meant to be played © The BLR, I do not know though. Seems also well-rounded, but not too manoeuvrable, so I am still getting smacked in it. Maybe the ER-MLas will help the situation. Now as for the D-Wolf jump jets, I believe they are pretty safe. Smurfy says the C may only jump 90 meters, so not much poptarting on this one. They serve mainly for improving mobility and hill climbing, so no big deal ether way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users