Cw Feature

2 replies to this topic

#1 Jarvis Lancaster

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:42 PM

I'm looking forward to CW. Trying to think of ways it changes how each battle plays out. I wonder about the strategy needed to decide which territory to attack or defend, and which mechs I should choose for battle. I have kind of an expectation it'll feel like a campaign-style game; where you can select missions based on your strengths, and prepare to counter the strategy of your opponent.

Strategy for matches as they are, is entirely self-contained. You don't know what map your playing, or if you're anticipating lances of lights or assaults. So everything is only reacting once combat begins, rather than prior to drop.

One feature I thought would change this: have restrictions on chassis or weight class for certain territories based on whether you're attacking or defending.

So for planet "XYZ" you are the invading force. Your intel on the planet will give you a rundown on their defenses. The defending team may have light mechs and jagers available to defend with. Planets that are more contested may have the most freedom in chassis selection, while wasteland outposts will favor scouts and a sparse selection for heavier chassis.

What can make this interesting is, once this feature is implemented, matches can easily be modeled after classic missions from other mw games where the starting mechs are the same, but someone gets to play as the bad guys. Obviously, they'd have to be tailored to work with the existing MWO maps, but from what I've seen, some parts of these maps are largely unused (for the large maps anyway) and simple relocation of drop points and turrets can change that.

If a feature like this could be put into CW, what missions from any other mechwarrior title would players like to see revisited like this?

#2 HumanCondition

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:21 PM

I like it, I also had idea for a new mode. A new assault mode anyways...Team A(defending team) starts off with two lances. They have a primary base to protect and have a certain time to defend it until their 3rd lance comes online IE field repairs bla bla. They also have two AA sites. Now these AA sites are actually secondary objectives to both the DEFENDING and ASSAULTING teams.
The Assualting team starts with two lances also, and by destroying both these AA sites they will enable their third lance to be able to drop according to where the team captain places them( up to a certain point) or they could just spawn in a set place. Now depending on if the Defending team is able to hold out against the Assaulting team, their third lance can come online and change the odds, however if the Assaulting team can destroy these AA sites or just make a dash to the Defending teams base and Say destroy their Mechbay(Repair bay, what have you) not only will they have the option to destroy the AA sites and bring in a third lance they can stop the Defending team from enabling their reinforcements.

Now I understand that four players for each team will have to wait(watch) the match and may have a chance to never actually play, but I think this would put a twist on things. Hell they do not even have to do it this way, just augment the darn modes a tad and change up the current play style. There is very little variation from the three modes, each nearly have the same objectives (destroy enemy team or capture base or most kills win).

#3 Jarvis Lancaster

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

I've been thinking the same thing. Definitely having repair bays for longer game modes would be interesting. But they cannot be used until one wave of enemy lances has been eliminated.

But, as you say, additional waves are forced to wait and may not even enter play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users