47 replies to this topic

#21 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

Core it through the back for the quick easy kill and get back to the fight ASAP!

#22 CarnifexMaximus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 397 posts
  • LocationOakland, California Republic, North America, Terra

You ducked around that corner to cool off right? The afk mech isn't shooting at you or your friends. Save your heat for those who are dumping dps into your buddies.

#23 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Big juicy AFK heavy? run up, headshot it, get the kill, rejoin the fight.

Removing even an AFK mech can help the team....should they return....

#24 LawDawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationOn the ATTACK!!!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Get to the fight, he will still be waiting if you can help you team pull it off. ;)

<Edit> You know where he is and get back to him faster than your teammates for the face shot, or rear core once the battle is over.

Edited by SLDF LawDog, 30 May 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostSLDF LawDog, on 30 May 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Get to the fight, he will still be waiting if you can help you team pull it off. ;)

Disagree. Takes on average 5 seconds to core out a cockpit. Have yet to remember a match where 5 seconds was the decider. But should the AFK return after you leave, his fresh make may indeed prove the deciding factor in your loss.

Core the cockpit, then return to your team. Always. For the 1 time it potentially costs your team the match, you will have potentially saved the match 20 more.

#26 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 May 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

Disagree. Takes on average 5 seconds to core out a cockpit. Have yet to remember a match where 5 seconds was the decider. But should the AFK return after you leave, his fresh make may indeed prove the deciding factor in your loss.

Core the cockpit, then return to your team. Always. For the 1 time it potentially costs your team the match, you will have potentially saved the match 20 more.

That wasn't the OP's question though:

There's points to be had, easy points, a leg, an arm or two... The team is losing but you can go out with an epic score no trouble

This isn't an "easy kill" question.

This is a "should I abandon my team to farm damage" question.

And the ethical answer is no, you should not farm damage while your team is losing.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 30 May 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#27 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 30 May 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

And the ethical answer is no, you should not farm damage while your team is losing.

You should never farm damage, it's inefficient, most of us answered the question completely.

In the OP's scenario the only logical thing to do is 1. kill the afk mech quickly without ******* around (head shots) 2. get back in the fight.

the two things he should not do are: 1. ignore the mech, 2. waste time on the mech.

#28 Charons Little Helper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

Only time damage farming is at all okay is if you're capping and you have to sit there anyway.

#29 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'm not famalier enough with cockpit hitboxes...

But this has happened to me, and I turned around to take a peek at the fight I left behind and try to get some snipe shots off and the afk mech I ignored killed me.

Next time I will core it's rear CT before turning my back to it.

#30 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 30 May 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Only time damage farming is at all okay is if you're capping and you have to sit there anyway.

even then it's artificial epeen because your score really means nothing. Kill the thing and get it over with. You never know when one of his friends may show up to keep your otherwise occupied.

#31 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

Kill it fast to give your team a much needed morale boost when they see the kill count go up. This way you get to be selfish while telling yourself a convincing lie that you are still "helping" the team. ;)

#32 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

The ethical answer is to put down your weapons and hold hand actuators with your now-ex-foe.

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostUltimatum X, on 30 May 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

Yes. I know. Hence Kill and get back to the fight. The Farming itself has been addressed enough. I was addressing the point of the post I quoted.

View PostSLDF LawDog, on 30 May 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

<Edit> You know where he is and get back to him faster than your teammates for the face shot, or rear core once the battle is over.

Unless he is not there because he returned from his piss break, moved and now kills your team with his fresh Mech.

ALWAYS kill the mech. The only good enemy mech is a Dead or verified Disconnected one. If it's verifiably Disco, then kill it or leave it, it's up to you.

#34 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostAgent of Change, on 30 May 2014 - 11:41 AM, said:

You should never farm damage, it's inefficient, most of us answered the question completely.

In the OP's scenario the only logical thing to do is 1. kill the afk mech quickly without ******* around (head shots) 2. get back in the fight.

Is it?

How far away is he around this corner to cool off?

I suppose we can assume rule of the derps that the entire enemy team will just ignore the angry red triangle once it blips off the radar - and that he will then have time to sit there, cool off, shoot the cockpit, and hope his "losing team" isn't losing even harder.

Or we can consider that they might actually have someone chase him down and kill him.

As I've watched entire teams literally abandon the easiest to defend positions in the game to chase down a single Huggin - I'll go out on a limb and say that he might just as easily end up dead - because he has to first cool off enough to be able to shoot the cockpit.

Ultimately, his question wasn't about any of that. It was a simple question of "my cbills / epeen vs. helping the team".

The rest of the scenario is too manufactured to really make much of a statement.

Edited by Ultimatum X, 30 May 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#35 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

Shoot it twice in the head, 10 seconds wasted, CBills gained, AFK can't come back and romp around fresh.

And in a light 'mech being out the fight for 10 seconds is no big issue, you're often better off for doing it because the enemy will forget about you, and you can make another pass ;)

#36 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

Press TAB

If he is DISCONNECTED, leave it for later, he cannot return.
If he is AFK, Kill efficiently to remove from the match. (Cockpit or Back)

Realize you just helped both the team and yourself...just like MM screws you over in tonnage, sometimes da'gods be returnin'da favor!

Now get back in the fight! As a light pilot you should not be trying to take on the entire team solo, that does not help your team win, but depending on your skills and config you should work with a bigger mech and shoot what it shoots or find a back and backstab, or flank and spot/tag for LRMs in which case you should not be shooting. There is also staying with your main body as a Anti-light, scraping enemy lights off the backs of your team's bigger mechs, for which they will be grateful! Going rambo into the enemy ranks leads to your death as often as not, and does not help your team win.

Edited by 7ynx, 30 May 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#37 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

The amount of times I've raged at teams that throw a game by abandoning a strong position because "ZOMG DC!!!!!!1!!!"...

Kill it asap then get back into the fight. There is no other option.

I've legged and armed a disco exactly once in my MWO career. I'd racked up five kills working with a fellow light, and let my wingman catch up and get at least that kill.

Anything else is beyond contempt.

#38 Agent of Change

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Now if we had proper salvage mechanics this wouldn't even be a question.

#39 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

Trick question. You do neither. You go AFK yourself as well.

PGI is all about BALANCE. In that situation the only viable solution is to park your mech right next to the other one and wait.

#40 LawDawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationOn the ATTACK!!!

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 May 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

Disagree, He hid to cool down. Now hes not. Respectfully.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users