Megamek [River City; Forest Colony]

22 replies to this topic

#1 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

River City GH1.2 (UPDATED download now includes Snow map!)
Forest Colony GH1.0 (Includes Snow map; see screenshots in later post)
.7z versions

River City Notes: This version (v1.2) of the file contains a couple of minor tweaks. 1st: removed some rough terrain near upper city that was hidden in some light woods. 2nd: removed all fires from buildings. Left a few that are in rubble as they will burn out in a couple of rounds due to lack of fuel. I left the first version (v1.1) in the archive in case you have the computing power to let the city burn. It is pretty fun to see the inferno rage across lower city whilst fighting in it. The other option is to play v1.1 and put light rain. The rain will douse the flames pretty easily.

Forest Colony Notes: This is basically a Beta version. I promised to get something out for the beginning of the week. What I still want to test is 1) Is LOS properly blocked between the tunnel and "outside" and 2) Is Indirect Fire blocked. If Indirect Fire is not blocked, there isn't a fix for it. Whereas regular LOS can be blocked using terrain.

Posted Image

I really enjoyed playing the Forest Colony on Megamek. I noticed that many people wanted River City, as did I. I decided to give it a shot and see how it went. It wasn't easy. After matching the map hex by hex, it looks like [scrap] because of the way hexes dislike 90 degree angles. ;) I tried to smooth out the roads and building but keep the spirit of River City alive during the editing process.

I used the tutorial to get the building heights down and tried to make it easy to use without having to mouse hover over every building while playing. For building CFs I used 1-35 for Light buildings, 36-55 for mediums, etc. So light colored building will only support the light mechs, the next shade of building mediums and so forth. There are damaged building with lower CF, so be careful, and I haven't done anything with basements. You'll probable fall into one if you try to go through a building.

I had to do some creative thinking to get around some of the limitations of Megamek, but it seems to work pretty good. Anyway, read the readme for things you need to be mindful of and I hope you enjoy it!

Gryphonhawk

Edited by Griffinhawk, 10 June 2014 - 11:44 PM.

#2 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

If anyone has suggestions for improving the map or a request for another map, please let me know.

Thanks!

#3 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hey, lookin' pretty cool, nice jobe mate! You gonna do any other of MWO maps?

#4 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

I was condsidering it. I was thinking about doing another forest colony but to scale. If anyone has another map they would like done I'm open to suggestions. Has anyone played the River City map much? Do you have feedback on how to improve it or anything you would like to see?

I did notice one small issue. It seemed LRMs weren't reaching as far on my map than they do in MWO. Then I realized that in MWO LRMs have 1,000m range which converts to 33 hexes. That's more than 50% greater range than TT LRMs. :) I haven't tried the extreme range option for weapons, which may bring the TT ranges closer to MWO ranges. <shrug>

#5 John Norad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 524 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

This looks awesome.

#6 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

Well... I decided to do forest colony. The main driving force for the decision was that I'm a stickler for scale and I really wanted to have the tunnel and a proxy for the ship wreck. As far as progress: major topographical features are done. My next step is height scaling and correcting topography for feel and function. (Ie level 3 vs 2 to prohibit movement and level 1 vs 2 for full vs partial cover). This process generally takes the longest and requires a lit of time in MWO switching between screens. Final step will be adding trees building... Etc. I'm shooting for early next week on completion.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

View PostGriffinhawk, on 01 June 2014 - 04:37 PM, said:

River City v1.2
Gryphonhawk

Fantastic work, I'll be downloading this. My one complaint is something you likely can't help...
...your map is bigger than River City (30 meters per hex).

#8 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:25 PM

Awesome work! Could you do Crimson Straits?

#9 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostWill9761, on 07 June 2014 - 06:25 PM, said:

Awesome work! Could you do Crimson Straits?

Ohhh! Yes!

#10 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 June 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

Fantastic work, I'll be downloading this. My one complaint is something you likely can't help...
...your map is bigger than River City (30 meters per hex).

This concerns me... I tried to keep scale right. My research suggested that the grids on the Smurfy maps are 500sqm. (16.67 hexes) In game I used the aiming reticule to get me distance. (divided by 30 for hexes) My calculations supported the 500m per grid line. Because of the hexes the N-S axis is pretty spot on... E-W gets... skewed a little, but not too noticeably.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

View PostGriffinhawk, on 07 June 2014 - 08:55 PM, said:

This concerns me...

I know what it is. River City despite how it looks, is essentially a 'square' map with East/West and North/South. You've cut part of the map off (left and right on the megamek map), causing it to look oblong, thusly causing it to look out of proportion at surface value.

Though another thing I've always known also comes into play. MWO's mechs are much taller, wider, longer, and simply larger than lore, TT, Mechwarriors of yore, and Battletech in general. (Atlas being 17 meters when in lore mechs much taller than the Atlas only go up to 14 meters).

Spoiler

Sorry about that. :P

Edited by Koniving, 07 June 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#12 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 10:13 PM

No problem! Like I said.. I've been trying to keep it as accurate as I can. LOL Damn OCD. :P

Yeah.. while sizing the hex map overlay I had to cutout some parts of the city... namely a lot of the water. As TT depth 1 and greater water is generally a double edged swords, I thought it would be okay to leave it off.

It's interesting that the MWO mechs are larger... as the feeling you get while playing suggests the opposite. :D

Edited by Griffinhawk, 07 June 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#13 Slumu

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

Fantastic work.

Any plans on doing Caustic Valey?

#14 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:48 AM

I just found the map I'll use for my tabletop scenario in early november.

Thank you very much for this awesome work!

#15 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

Caustic Valley looks very doable. So I would say yes, I plan on doing it, but I'm currently debating on doing a portion of it. Same goes for Crimson Straits. If I do one large map for CS, that's 116x116 hexes... for the entire map. I could probably cut it down a little by omitting some of the border areas like I did in River City, but it would still be a huge map. I want to confirm that the grid lines are 500m increments on Crimson City. I guess I would pose the question to you:

Do you need to have the entire map, or would you rather have a smaller map with important features. For example, for Caustic Valley I was considering doing the 3x3 D4 to F2 or D4 to B2. Similarly, I was thinking of Crimson Strait doing a 3x4 B2 to E4.

Regarding Forest Colony. I've hit a little setback. I've gotten too far to start from scratch, but I'm going to need to drop normal map elevation by at least 6 levels to avoid artifically limiting acess to northern areas of the map due to the 9 level height limit on terrain for Megamek. :ph34r: This is going to be tedious work of manually dropping each hex. <Sigh>

#16 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

Forest Colony GH1.0
Download in first post
Posted Image

Bonus Snow Maps!
Download in first post

River City
Posted Image

Forest Colony
Posted Image

Edited by Griffinhawk, 10 June 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#17 Griffinhawk

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Ok, so now that's another map down. I kind of want to get another easy one out before trying to tackly the beast known as Crimson Straits. The only other map I've seen a request for is Caustic Valley. Is there another map that someone would like? I was considering a flooded Canyon Network.

#18 No264839

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 11:58 PM

I'd really like to see Terra Therma built. It's my favorite map in MWO and I love constantly dropping there 8-12 times in a row. I love how frequently my assaults shutdown and how the map is so crowded at points I end up hitting friendlies instead of enemies. It's really the only map the servers send me to and to be honest I just can't get enough- just shutting down and getting swarmed over and over again.

#19 Deadborder

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

Necropost. I know, but I gotta say this. As an avid MegaMekker, I think these maps are gorgeous! Fantastic work

#20 Sean Lang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 969 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

I approve of this thread!

1 user(s) are reading this topic