Blackjack Bj-1 Idea Corner

16 replies to this topic

#1 Sacred Solace

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some creative and/or effective BlackJack BJ-1 builds.

It can be anything from a variation of the boom-jack to a dual ac/20 build (if that's even do-able) to a ppc sniper to a flat out brawler, I'd like to see what people can dream up!

My current build is this, a basic sniping mech that's fairly effective:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...71905908affbc34

Any thoughts or ways to improve this build?

Edited by Sacred Solace, 03 June 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#2 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostSacred Solace, on 03 June 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Hey everyone! I'm looking for some creative and/or effective BlackJack BJ-1 builds.

It can be anything from a variation of the boom-jack to a dual ac/20 build (if that's even do-able) to a ppc sniper to a flat out brawler, I'd like to see what people can dream up!

My current build is this, a basic sniping mech that's fairly effective:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...71905908affbc34

Any thoughts or ways to improve this build?

If this is the build you're enjoying, and looking to master it, I'd move on to the BJ-3. You can have the same build, but stick the PPCs and MLs in the arms. I do both PPcs in one and both ML's in the other. Toss Target Info Gathering, Adv Zoom, and Adv Sensor range modules in there and you've got a fairly mobile sniper. JJing above your team and popping shots off at the enemy while still in cover.

#3 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

Meet my baby, the Thunder Paw.

First ran it as a joke, but somehow it managed to end up being a build that actually works and my k/d and damage with it are exceptional. It brawls surprisingly well (fast torso twist and JJ make it unexpectedly hardy) and heat isn't much of an issue. And dat alpha strike yo. No one expects the thunderpaw.

If you don't want to get a XL200 then I suppose you could be boring and use an AC/10 instead. Honestly though I've found the XL200 to be the best engine for the black jack. 80kp/h may seem slow for a medium, but it's fast enough to hang out behind your assualts and heavies, which in a 45 tonne that's going to be running under 100kp/h no matter what, is where you want to be. And those two extra tonnes over the XL235 give you a lot of bang for your buck.

Other suggestions are the usual, dual AC/5 poptart, dual uAC/5, PPC poptart and AC/20 + ML brawler.

#4 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

I run mine as a Gauss trainer. XL235, Gauss rifle with 3 tons ammo, 3 MLs, heatsinks and jumpjets to taste. Shaved armour off the dead weight arm.

#5 Em3r4ld

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 45 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGloucestershire, UK

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

max engine, 3 SLas, AC20.

#6 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

I'm pretty sure Matt Newman stole my build for the BJ-1(c)...so I *should* recommend that one. I've changed it up though to max jj and -1ML, and 5t ammo.

#7 Errant Variable

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostMahws, on 03 June 2014 - 04:47 PM, said:

Meet my baby, the Thunder Paw.

My favorite BJ-1 is pretty much this with an XL180 and an extra ton of AC20 ammo. Also shaved some armor for a third jump jet recently, worth it IMO.

#8 Sacred Solace

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Seems like the AC/20 is really popular on the blackjacks, though I feel like it's a bit cliche to use it now. I've started using an
LB-10XAC with four medium lasers, and it's been getting me a solid 300 damage per game on average, and up into the 600's in good matches.

#9 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:31 AM

View PostSacred Solace, on 04 June 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Seems like the AC/20 is really popular on the blackjacks, though I feel like it's a bit cliche to use it now. I've started using an
LB-10XAC with four medium lasers, and it's been getting me a solid 300 damage per game on average, and up into the 600's in good matches.

Mine runs a 225 standard engine with an LB-10X and three medium lasers (plus jets) and I love the stuffins out of it.

I think the AC/20 is popular mostly because everyone wants to have that one big nasty shot to pull off, and most people hear over and over how fragile the Blackjack is (it's not, actually) and so toss an XL engine in anyway, and if you're doing that, then may as well use that tonnage as hard as possible, right?

Divergence is life, people, try things.

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 05 June 2014 - 02:32 AM.

#10 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:11 AM

why do you assume all people run ac/20s on BJs because it's "meta"? I have always run mine like that because it suits my playstyle, not because I'm a bandwagoner.

#11 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:18 AM

All of these are good suggestions but when I see a BJ on the field with an AC20, I know its going to be slow. That means it will have trouble with any mech going 80+kph.

I'd keep the speed up and run it like this. The dual PPCs is really hot!
BJ-1

Plus if you have the zoom module, you can really hurt the backs of mechs!

Edited by mogs01gt, 05 June 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#12 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:21 AM

AC10, 2 Med Pulse, Max engine, max armor, max jumpjets

fun

#13 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostInflatable Fish, on 05 June 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

why do you assume all people run ac/20s on BJs because it's "meta"? I have always run mine like that because it suits my playstyle, not because I'm a bandwagoner.

I said nothing about 'meta' in my post, and in fact, made no mention of bandwagons at all. Try again, maybe?

Edited by Quickdraw Crobat, 05 June 2014 - 09:40 AM.

#14 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

1x GR w 4t
3x ML
XL 225
10 DHS
2 JJ

Armourless on 1 arm, 12 armour on head, poking mechs all day long.

#15 Mauadib

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

View PostQuickdraw Crobat, on 05 June 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

I said nothing about 'meta' in my post, and in fact, made no mention of bandwagons at all. Try again, maybe?

Well, it's pretty easy to think you were talking about that group of people from what you typed.

The "divergence is life people, try things" part in particular leans heavily towards bandwagoners.

To keep on topic, I just tend to run the standard AC/20 2xMlas build. I like being close and I play this game for the "fun" that I don't get out of WoT anymore.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8c7e7ff3eb0e261

#16 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

Just tweaking the OP's dual PPC build, this BJ-1 is what I use as my dual PPC build. It just swaps out the MLs, a jump jet, and a half a ton of armour for two SLs and two MGs with a ton of ammo. It's easier on the heat and is an easier mentality in that outside 150m or so use the PPCs and inside 100m use the SLs and MGs.

View Postmogs01gt, on 05 June 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

All of these are good suggestions but when I see a BJ on the field with an AC20, I know its going to be slow. That means it will have trouble with any mech going 80+kph.

Your build is one heatsink short so you can't launch with it, but I get your point of dual AC5s with two MLs; that's my normal 2xAC5 build and I find it works very well especially in a match where both sides refuse to engage in brawling tactics. You can easily fit the BJ-1's largest engine (a 235XL) in an AC20 build though, so it's not slow.

#17 Sacred Solace

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

I've invented a build that works extremely well for me, doing up to 850 damage so far.

It's the xl235, 4 mlas, an lbx10, and two jump jets, with double heat sinks and endo steel.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users