A great game need GREAT MUSIC! What can we expect?

109 replies to this topic

#101 FLAKPANZER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

View PostNian, on 20 June 2012 - 10:08 PM, said:

So heres the question, If Piranha got the original composer for MW2 and had him compose a new soundtrack, would you buy it on the in game store?

Without a doubt. Hell, I would probably even throw in as much as the Founder's Legendary pack to see something like that realized.

I have been playing MWLL with the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack playing in iTunes, and it is amazing. Brings back a lot of great memories, and the ambiance of that score is simply amazing.

#102 FLAKPANZER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:29 AM

One point I will make, though, is that the soundtrack for a PVP game like this probably does not have the same impact as a soundtrack for a PVE game. For MWO, I will probably be happy enough creating my own track list to play through iTunes.

#103 Urulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationSeville, Spain

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

Tbh, as great as the in-game music could ever be, it will be turn off the second you need to hear the sounds of mechs approaching all over the other side of the mountain your ambush spot is ^^

#104 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Ugh - In-game music for multiplayer. B)
SP games just ache for good music; Whoever mentioned DoW above makes a good point.

I've been in the position; I raided my classical CDs to put together the soundtrack for a single player FPS mod I built once (single player campaign modded onto a multiplayer FPS), we had Elgar, Barber, Beethoven going off all over the place, a little bit of opera (verdi), and I blatantly stole from the Last of the Mohicans OST by Trevor Jones too (3x tracks inc Fort Battle).
Cool, and with clever use of scrips or scripted audio cues linked to various in-game triggers you can do some really impressive stuff. :(

But for MP, it's gotta be a designer's nightmare, no matter how well you construct it, it'll sound out of place for someone (pumping beats when trying to lay low, or rising to a massive crescendo just as you try to line up a sniper shot, etc..).

I love the music of many games but I hate that like one "thread" of my brain process is following the music & getting me killt'. (yup I don't even have a dual core brain, let alone PC yet :().
I always mute music on any MP game, whoever it was who said he'd been playing X-game for about a year before he even knew it had music, I recognise that position.

*EDIT* Just a thought; For FPS or Mech-Games (so I'm discounting faffy games like WoW where all the characters are in the same dungeon, so hear the same music), I suppose that linking music to your weapon, or your health might work, from a designer's standpoint.

Get down to 10% health & you get that really tense, disconcerting horror-film type music that has you s***** before the monster even jumps out, or if you switch to a Rocket Launcher & you get a mad-mental killing theme, hhm, possibly..

Edited by BigJim, 21 June 2012 - 07:31 AM.

#105 Ghost Rider LSOV

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 272 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

My favorite Mechwarrior themes. (since I had started from MW2 Mercenaries, those are what I recall the most)

(Media file limit. Don't direct click, copy/paste behind youtube.com/)
watch?v=ZqvFuZsjty4
watch?v=n4tiHGMZu0U
watch?v=Rz7Sexypf3I

Edited by Ghost Rider LSOV, 21 June 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#106 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostaRottenKomquat, on 20 June 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

Better not be dubstep. I will play with my sound off. Or just not play at all. ;)

I hope they keep the generic rock/metal tracks like in the past. It just fit well.

...says a Legendary Founder :)
I totally agree though - Dubstep would periodically make me question whether I just got hit by lasers or whether my mech is malfunctioning! I listen to other Electronic music, but it is distinct enough to where I wouldn't confuse it with Mech sounds. Generic rock & metal would be great, although I hope it is more elaborate than the generic rock/metal that some overseas developers use for hack n' slash games (e.g. Koei with Dynasty Warriors)

#107 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

I'd rather skip the music and have more mechs! Music is not effects!

Edited by Johnny Reb, 21 June 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#108 Nian

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:04 AM

Well I assume that everyone has seen the leaked video, completely devoid of music. Did the player turn it off or have the developers completely forgotten to add it? I hope that there is some music, to keep a player base you need not only great gameplay but also atmosphere.
Music is atmosphere.

Edited by Nian, 27 June 2012 - 04:06 AM.

#109 FLAKPANZER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:15 AM

I'm not really sure if a beta build would have music even if the final game does.

#110 Annihilism

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:20 AM

I hope it will be the awesome metalish music from MW4 Mercenairies. Just listen too the song floodgates to get an idea.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users