#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

Welcome!

Please let us know your thoughts on the latest news from Alexander Schmidt on Fall Damage:
http://mwomercs.com/...ystem-overhaul/

View PostAlexander Schmidt, on 06 June 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:

Fall Damage Overhaul

In order to achieve a better game experience, we are working on an overhaul of the Fall Damage System. The way the system behaves right now is that every Mech takes between 0.3 and 0.5 damage on each leg, depending on fall speed and time in the air.

The new Fall Damage System will take into account not only fall speed and time in air, but also the weight class and the armor a Mech brings into the battle.

This means the damage will be higher the heavier the Mech is. A Light Mech would only take a small amount of the damage an Assault Mech would take, if they were crashing on the ground with the same speed.

In greater detail:
If a Mech is in the air longer than [1] second, the system would calculate the armor brought into the game together with the leg health. To determine damage, a certain percentage is taken from that calculation, i.e. Light Mechs = [1] %, Medium Mechs = [2] %, Heavy Mechs = [3] %, and Assault Mechs = [4] %.

Depending on what the current fall speed is (on a range between [30] ft/s and [60] ft/s) this base damage is multiplied by another variable (ranging from [1] to [1.4]).

The outcome is a dynamic range of fall damage depending on speed and weight class of a Mech.

Here is an example using the numbers above of what this could look like:
· Light: minDmg = [0.67] / maxDmg = [0.938]
· Medium: minDmg =[2.14] / maxDmg = [2.996]
· Heavy: minDmg = [3.75] / maxDmg = [5.25]
· Assault: minDmg [7.28] / maxDmg = [10.192]

NOTE: All numbers above are for example purposes only. Actual production numbers will be shared in the patch notes. We hope to have these implemented shortly after the Clan Collection release.

#2 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

10.192 per leg per fall?
BLAKE'S WORD, that's amazing news!

Edited by StillRadioactive, 06 June 2014 - 05:03 PM.

#3 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:03 PM

I like the increased damage based upon weight class, but hard to say whether this will work or not without details.

It says it is based upon the health of the legs and armor "brought to the game". Does that mean it does more damage to healthy, fully armored legs, and less to almost crippled legs?

The 1-second rule is great, since it will greatly help Locusts and other fast non-jumpers that tend to easily hurt their legs.

I'm curious why you guys chose to use such a complicated system. Why not just have a percentage of tonnage done per elevation level? For instance, 0.5 damage per five tons per 16 meters of falling, split between the legs based upon angle. So a Locust (20 tons) that falls 16 meters (about the height of an Atlas) takes 2 damage, which is split between the legs depending on how it lands. An Atlas (100 tons) falling the same 16 meters would take 10 damage, also split.

Edited by Cimarb, 06 June 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#4 Jin Ma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

But with the mockup it looks like light mechs will take more damage than they currently do when falling.

With fall damage currently, I can barely hop around my jenner in a match without getting legged. that plus the one leg movement speed nerf a while ago. If you guys consider role warfare a real thing, and actually want to balance the weight classes. you might want to consider lowering the proposed damage (at least for light mechs)

I hope the final numbers will land light mech damage lower than the current 0.3-0.5

Edited by Jin Ma, 06 June 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#5 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Hopefully this stops pop-tarting...

#6 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Does this account for rocks? ;) ;)

#7 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 06 June 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Does this account for rocks? ;) ;)

Air time > 1sec, so I'd say yes.

#8 Rip von Graze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 117 posts
  • LocationPirate Point above Terra

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostImperius, on 06 June 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

Won't stop it but it will mean that they might not jump so high. They need some fuel to soften their landing.

-- Ripvan

#9 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

As someone who owns all 5 locusts and a deaths knell I say THANK YOU!

Cant Wait!

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostImperius, on 06 June 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

It likely won't change that much.

If you realize the kind of armor assaults run for leg armor (particularly the Highlander), then it won't do that much.

Of course, if you're skimping on armor OR already get legged easily (see Quickdraw), then you're going to have a bigger problem.

Edited by Deathlike, 06 June 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#11 p8ragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

this + jump jet heat (http://mwomercs.com/...-ramp-feedback/) = Pop tarting pest control

#12 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

In theory I like these changes, but the devil is in the details. I'll have to see the hard numbers and how it feels in-game to decide whether or not this is for the best.

Either way it's great that you are doing the logical thing and making lighter mechs takes less damage than heavier mechs. What we have now never really made any sense.

#13 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 06 June 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

It likely won't change that much.

If you realize the kind of armor assaults run for leg armor (particularly the Highlander), then it won't do that much.

Of course, if you're skimping on armor OR already get legged easily (see Quickdraw), then you're going to have a bigger problem.

Do you really think that an AC/10 hit's worth of damage per LEG per FALL is insignificant for a Dragon Slayer? Because let's face it, the DS is the poptart king.

#14 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

From what i understand,

So as long as i've been in the air for >1s. regardless of if i thrust to pad the fall, i will still take a great amount of leg damage?

#15 vortmax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Considering this Jenner pilot only uses his jump jets for elevation changes (jumping to higher point, cushioning lower point landings) and maneuvers (jump over mech, cushion/redirect movement on landing), this is OUTSTANDING!

If it stops pop-tarts, so much the better!

#16 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

View Postvortmax, on 06 June 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

Considering this Jenner pilot only uses his jump jets for elevation changes (jumping to higher point, cushioning lower point landings) and maneuvers (jump over mech, cushion/redirect movement on landing), this is OUTSTANDING!

If it stops pop-tarts, so much the better!

until you read the mockup where light mechs actually take increased damage compared to the current system.

#17 NST

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

According to this we should prepare to see people dying from jumping onto ledges...

This totally nerfs 1 or 2 JJ as a mobility assist.

e.g. Jumping onto a ledge in canyon: time-to-jump is usually > 1s, vertical landing velocity is low, and still take 4 dmg / leg (heavy).

Either increase the time threshhold before applying, or adjust the 30-60 ft/s scaling function and include 0-10 ft/s = 0 multiplier.

#18 StillRadioactive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 644 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

View PostJin Ma, on 06 June 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

From what i understand,

So as long as i've been in the air for >1s. regardless of if i thrust to pad the fall, i will still take a great amount of leg damage?

Niko the Great and Powerful said:

Depending on what the current fall speed is (on a range between [30] ft/s and [60] ft/s) this base damage is multiplied by another variable (ranging from [1] to [1.4]).

Edited by StillRadioactive, 06 June 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#19 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

View PostRipvan, on 06 June 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

Won't stop it but it will mean that they might not jump so high. They need some fuel to soften their landing.

-- Ripvan

Looking at those assault numbers, could stuff up an assault in 4/5 jumps if they are not careful.

New meta - Aim for poptarting mechs legs? ;)

#20 Jin Ma

• 1,323 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostRipvan, on 06 June 2014 - 05:08 PM, said:

-- Ripvan

they never needed to jump very high in the first place. Just enough to get over whatever the cover is.

Edited by Jin Ma, 06 June 2014 - 05:20 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users