Xbox One Controller?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Torothin

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Does this game work with an Xbox One controller? If so, what has been your experience with it? Is it worth doing?

#2 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostTorothin, on 10 June 2014 - 12:47 PM, said:

Does this game work with an Xbox One controller? If so, what has been your experience with it? Is it worth doing?

To elaborate on the above post... No it's not set up for it, and if you even try to play using a gamepad you'll be outclassed in-game to a degree that will make you want to quit completely. Sorry :( it's a no-go.

#3 Fatal25

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

I posted this awhile ago, but it was for a wired 360 controller. You have to download xpadder. You have to pay for the newest version, but there are older, free versions still out there. Xpadder basically maps keyboard keys to the controller buttons and sticks. The only issue is the game recognizes it as a joystick, which causes some issues. Try this:

If you set up the controller on xpadder like you want it you can then configure the controller settings in WMO to almost ignore the controller. As another person had mentioned on the forums you need to start with the lower portion of the controller settings and go to the last one that is preset. Double click in the value and it will say something like "set value". Use the back button on the controller for that value. Do this for each of the preset values in the lower portion of the controller section. They will continue to overwrite the next value and leave the previous value empty. For the upper portion, which determines movement, you can do the same thing for whichever joystick you have for your "w" key. For me it was the left stick up. Set all the values with that and end with the analogue throttle. That should leave all the upper area values empty except for analog throttle. So analog throttle will be the same stick direction as your xpadder "w". This basically duplicates the xpadder value in MWO. I just tested it and it works without issue.

#4 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

You will never be as good using a joystick or X-box controller. The mouse and keyboard just work SO much better.

You may even get critizied in chat if any dead player spectates from inside your mech and watches you play, or rather not play well.

#5 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

If you could map the buttons it wouldn't be bad for a light brawler. But with anything using longer ranges you would lose out.

#6 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

You can.
You can map keys using the Controller tab in the settings menu, or use a mapping software like X Padder, J2K, or other such.
As said above a Keyboard+Mouse is easier, and possibly better because of it.

Yet, you may want an immersion factor (Joystick(s), HOTAS), or there's a reason you can't practically use it (Desk limitations, PC on TV / Big Picture, etc)

It'll take a while to get there, but you can get pretty much as good as people using a Keyboard and Mouse with a crapton of practice.

I use a twin Joystick set up, and while I'm not quite there yet, I am hitting 500+ damage games now on a regular basis.
Give it a few more months and I reckon I'll be up to par.

Edited by Ovion, 10 June 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#7 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

The phrase "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind.

#8 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

View PostFierostetz, on 10 June 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

The phrase "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" comes to mind.

this applies to anyone using a joystick or pad.....

another good phrase line is this

"Just say No to Drugs Joysticks"

#9 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 10 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

As someone who uses a Joystick I can tell you as a fact it doesn't suck if you do it right.

The default setup that MWO provides is horrible almost everything is setup wrong, anyone who wants to just plug-in and go cant because you need to reconfig all the settings. This IMHO is why everyone thinks joysticks suck, a bad default setup.

Once you have your stick working right and you've taken the time to master it, you'll be surprised how well it plays.

Check out the post I made for you Logitech 3D Pro stick. http://mwomercs.com/...joystick-setup/

I talk a bit about left hand driving and using "center feet to torso" to align myself while using my right hand to aim.

If you know what your doing the Stick can be greater then the keyboard.

Edited by Warblood, 10 June 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#10 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:59 PM

About a year ago, I gave the Xbox360 controller a go. In general it's actually not bad, it's just that the torso twist and turning was simply too slow compared to mouse (or in my case, a trackpad), which is a deal-breaker. Have PGI improved on it recently?

#11 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

I use PS3 controller that emulates xbox 360. I like it, not as fast as K+M (and failing to read both triggers proportly). I almost do not horribly with it.

Edited by Turist0AT, 10 June 2014 - 10:56 PM.

#12 Kilo 40

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:07 PM

I use a joystick and I get along ok. Is it as good as a mouse and keyboard? Nope. But with enough practice you can get pretty good with it.

#13 Motroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Locationmost likely gone

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

Sooner or later this game is gonna be released for XboxOne.
They are parallel developing it for Xbox One from the very beginning is my guess. Would explain the long development cycle and many other issues with the game. Too arcady any1?
Microsoft still owns the Mechwarrior license - they would be stupid to NOT release it on their own console. With a closer look many other indicators say the same...just you wait.

#14 Azalie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts
  • LocationThe Warp

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:39 PM

The above (by the time I finished this it is now 'above' above :huh: ) picture perfectly illustrates what anyone desiring to use a gamepad for a battletech game is.

Picture has since been taken down but of course it's the photoshop of the confused bus driver in the middle of a mech battle.

You will be as effective as the man in the picture.

You will be as out of place as the man in the picture.

Just the mindset of 'wanting' to use a gamepad for this type of game is beyond wrong...it is completely inappropriate.

Wanting to use a joystick is not wrong. It is also not inappropriate however it may prove ineffective when compared to a keyboard and mouse set up. But again the use of a joystick is within a normal frame of mind.

I mean no offense when I say this...but desiring to use a gamepad for a game like this shows a fundamental lapse in judgement in terms of just what kind of game this is.

If wanting to use a joystick to pilot a mech is akin to wanting to use a Radio Controller to drive your car (think those boxy dual thumbstick controllers from the 80's)....as in it's not ideal but with practice you can become quite good and again it is 'somewhat' appropriate for the task....then wanting to use a gamepad is akin to wishing to drive your car with a TV remote. It's just not intended whatsoever and never will be. And as you have already seen it's liable to rub some of the more traditional players the wrong way.

Edited by Azalie, 10 June 2014 - 11:52 PM.

#15 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:41 AM

You've been told (mostly) accurate assessments that you should not use any game controllers or an off-shelf joystick, but here's why this is, if you want to know more...

Controls Demystified(?)

#16 RyannVonDoom

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLaramie, Wyoming

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:07 PM

TTT Got a 360 controller that the woman I'm dating wants to use while playing. Any updates on either?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users