49 replies to this topic

#21 anonymous161

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Sadly a lone spider can take out a diashi pretty painfully by running around it, however all the diashi would need is a couple of lucky hits to connect and likely spidey is losing something important. Getting that lucky shot though is kinda a long shot in itself since diashi moves like a drunk and drugged elephant.

Personally I prefer the loadout it comes with thats the prime one anyways lots of long range ability, lots of lasers and 2 c-ac5's I think it is I cant remember I dont often use ac's always liked either ac20 if I used them as I need something to smack hard or lots of lasers.

#22 4D85

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...aa37eab23170007
Yep

#23 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:48 PM

View Post4D85, on 17 June 2014 - 05:39 PM, said:

Damn I'd like to see a vid of that... LBX60 :ph34r:

#24 Voidrazor

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

I've been playing with a UAC60 build with some LRMs for long range capability. I can't say that the mech is good, due to its godawful maneuverability, and what I suspect is a center torso hitbox that begs to be cored. But chain-firing the ACs works well, either as a nearly constant tracking stream of death, or as a quick triple burst. When I finally arrive at the battle, its a blast to play.

#25 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:15 AM

I'm running 4x CER-ML and 4x CU-AC5....So far I'm 5-1 in 6 matches with it.

Edit: I can't seem to get Smurfy to link my build. Using Prime Config with B-Torsos. 4x Clan Ultra AC5's in both torsos, and 4 tons ammo. 3x Clan ER-ML per arm, + Double heat sinks to fill. One Double Heat sink in leg. Rest of the single slots left everywhere, fill with Ammo. Gets me to 99.5 Tos.

Quad firing UAC-5s never spike your heat past 30%, and the 6 lasers give good back up.

Edited by Vxheous, 19 June 2014 - 02:21 AM.

#26 Mr D One

• Star Colonel IV
  • Star Colonel IV
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationMmmmmm yes

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:21 AM

View PostMechWarriorBK, on 16 June 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

lol great minds, that was my original dire wolf build, the "Dare-vistator"

however I run 3 with 12 ton of ammo - "Dare Wolf"

good topic.

Clan-tastic!

#27 Adran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 17 June 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

Nah, that's too weak. Now THIS build... - DWF-PRIME Devastator

... This build kind of sucks. In fact, almost all the builds in here kind of suck. Not one build here has any actual sustainability. They ALL have nothing but ammo-using weapons. Can you hurt things badly? Of course you can. Then you run out of ammo after fighting your second mech and die because you can't do anything.

Now, THIS on the other hand. This is a real Devastator. Note that it does even MORE damage, while also having better long-term viability. Yes, I sacrificed the Streaks a bit, but really, it's worth it for two ERLLs.

#28 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostAdran, on 19 June 2014 - 02:43 AM, said:

... This build kind of sucks. In fact, almost all the builds in here kind of suck. Not one build here has any actual sustainability. They ALL have nothing but ammo-using weapons. Can you hurt things badly? Of course you can. Then you run out of ammo after fighting your second mech and die because you can't do anything.

Now, THIS on the other hand. This is a real Devastator. Note that it does even MORE damage, while also having better long-term viability. Yes, I sacrificed the Streaks a bit, but really, it's worth it for two ERLLs.

well ... you do know that these Streaks are useless? Streaks are only effective in large numbers and only against lights - on all other mechs they spread damage to much. They might keep less experienced players in lights on distance but thats it - a fast light close to you will simply run around you - you won't get locks (hell you don't even have a BAP in that build) so you can't fire them. Yes with your 2 LBX-20 you can do some damage but you get a heat of 26.4 (30,8 for U-AC20) if you fire both together - while you get only 8.96 for 4 LBX-10 (13,44 for U-AC10).

If you really want to keep fighting - go for 4xU-AC10 (DWF-PRIME) (that build does also have 4 cERML which will produce 20 heat for 28 damage with a weight of 4 tons, compared to 17 heat for 22,5 damage with a weight of 8 tons for the 2 cERLL) - you can replace the U-AC10 with standard AC10 or LBX10 for even less heat.

#29 Adran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:44 AM

View PostMilesTeg1982, on 19 June 2014 - 03:18 AM, said:

well ... you do know that these Streaks are useless? Streaks are only effective in large numbers and only against lights - on all other mechs they spread damage to much. They might keep less experienced players in lights on distance but thats it - a fast light close to you will simply run around you - you won't get locks (hell you don't even have a BAP in that build) so you can't fire them. Yes with your 2 LBX-20 you can do some damage but you get a heat of 26.4 (30,8 for U-AC20) if you fire both together - while you get only 8.96 for 4 LBX-10 (13,44 for U-AC10).

If you really want to keep fighting - go for 4xU-AC10 (DWF-PRIME) (that build does also have 4 cERML which will produce 20 heat for 28 damage with a weight of 4 tons, compared to 17 heat for 22,5 damage with a weight of 8 tons for the 2 cERLL) - you can replace the U-AC10 with standard AC10 or LBX10 for even less heat.

Note that this is my own version of someone else's build, which was equally stupid. Personally, I'd probably replace the streaks with SRMs. I was just pointing out that their build had absolutely no sustainability. I don't even have a Dire Wolf, or I might care more. Still, while your build produces more damage for heat and weight, remember that also means you HAVE to get in close. My build was limited by the original concept I was using a bit, which meant only enough space for the 1 laser, and maximizing that meant taking the ERLL, which also had the bonus of giving the mech actual range, which a clan mech needs. As I have learned the hard way, clan mechs do NOT make good brawlers. While they can have scary damage, their maneuverability is vastly inferior to the Inner Sphere mechs, and that's what you really need as a brawler.

EDIT: As a side note, something to always remember when building a mech, you have to consider MORE than just the effectiveness of any one weapon, but rather the effectiveness of the build as a whole. Even SSRM4s have a place in a build if that's all you have the ability to support on a particular build.

Edited by Adran, 19 June 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#30 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:24 AM

View PostAdran, on 19 June 2014 - 05:44 AM, said:

... I don't even have a Dire Wolf, or I might care more. ..

well ... that acutally says it all.

I actually do have the Dire Wolf and I'm actually using it - inclduing a 4xLBX10 and a 4UA-10 build - they do pretty well on mid and close range. However I do also use build with long range weapons which also works well:
2xGauss + 2xER-PPC (+4 cERML for close and mid range, remove these for more ammo if you want): DWF-PRIME

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 16 June 2014 - 02:35 PM, said:

Remove two heatsinks.

View Postluigi256, on 16 June 2014 - 03:19 PM, said:

Remove 2 heat sinks? How do?

You can't remove any of the Daishi's built in heatsinks.

#32 RobotJoxKungFu

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

Nice!

#33 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

A lot can be said about the Dire Wolf's crap maneuverability and "generous" CT hitbox, but holy hell does it offer incredible loadout flexibility. It's just amazing.

#34 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

View PostMechWarriorBK, on 16 June 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

Yes, god awful.
You know the ghost heat limit is 1?
You know that the heat penalty for clan weapons is much higher than for IS weapons?
You know that boating weapons is useless when you can't fire most of them without penalties.

#35 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

its not as good as you think. I don't like running multiple uac's because stagger is too slow and often doesn't let me double tap and that means i need lots of buttons.

although a single uac 20 is a nice augment to assault and heavy killing.

#36 Outlaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 321 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Hope and Glory

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Besides that, the Dire Wolf is public enemy number one, and while dangerous seems to go down quick thanks to its massive CT. I giggle to myself each time i see a Dire Wolf pilot think hes Billy Bada** and gets downed in a matter of minutes.

#37 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostOutlaw, on 19 June 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Besides that, the Dire Wolf is public enemy number one, and while dangerous seems to go down quick thanks to its massive CT. I giggle to myself each time i see a Dire Wolf pilot think hes Billy Bada** and gets downed in a matter of minutes.

best way to play a dire wolf is follow your team to a corner and then start shooting missiles to pass the time until opposing team pushes. Then they're point blank to you and you've killed two of them before they know whats up. The only problem in achieving this level of trapdoor spider bullshit is in random games when your teammates insist on running out and dying to snipers 800m away, because then what happens is you're horribly outnumbered and that never goes well.

There's no such thing as an indestructible mech. Advancing in the open like you're hot untouchable **** is for the british. Although to be fair I don't mind other direwolves playing like they were born in a pod because it makes what I do less expected reflexively.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 19 June 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#38 Octavian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:49 PM

View PostAlek Ituin, on 17 June 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

Nah, that's too weak. Now THIS build... - DWF-PRIME Devastator

A Devastator would be dual PPC, dual AC/Gauss

And the best way to play a DW is to bring friends to watch your back and scout corners. Triple AMS/ECM Kit Foxes help too.

Edited by Octavian, 19 June 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#39 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:20 AM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 19 June 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

its not as good as you think. I don't like running multiple uac's because stagger is too slow and often doesn't let me double tap and that means i need lots of buttons.

although a single uac 20 is a nice augment to assault and heavy killing.

4x Clan UAC-5 alpha + double tap brings my heat up to about 25%, and just sits there with constant spamming (even with ghost heat). If you don't believe me, take it into testing grounds on Tourmaline and just spam it.

#40 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:14 AM

All these builds are crap. You are not taking into consideration the ghost heat UAC make and the quirks of the chassis. You are just massing up on same type of weapons, and that's a gg fail. Even double UAC10 is not worth equipping here, you will make GH as soon as you start double tapping them. Start thinking about balance and how you will utilize the combination of the weapons on this particular platform, which is a mobile turret. You need to make them scared just looking at you, or else they will just poke you with a snipe shot in your CT and run away before you can even start dishing out damage with the UAC's. Like it was said before, you will rarely have a chance to dish out your full potential of the UAC spam because you have no mobility. You are just a walking turret. Now, what weapon would one install on a turret..?

Something along a nice balance of gauss rifles, ER PPCs, large pulse lasers and some missiles will work out much better for you than the burst fire weapons, or massing up all of the same.

Edited by NeoCodex, 20 June 2014 - 03:16 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users