Griffins Vs Shadow Hawks

16 replies to this topic

#1 Rattler85

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 275 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

I have 2 Shadow Hawks and am debating between getting a third Shaddy or replacing them with Griffins. I am a bit more of a longer range guy and the ppc/lrm combo of the Griffins interests me. Also I really like my Summoners (A bit more powerful them the Griffins and I have been told the Summoner handles a lot like a big Griffin).

#2 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

The griffin is a great long range support platform. The arm mounted PPC's dont get much in the way. Thin profile also helps. Jumpjets and stuff also contribute.
This mech can also provide great security by torso twisting and letting the left arm/left CT take up damage.

The shadowhawks are all round builds, they can do anything,but they dont for example, have the large missile bats, like the 20 10 10 of,the GRF-1N, 20 and 10 missile tube of the GRF 1S and the 20 10 10 10 tubes of the 3M.

Also the Shadowhawks energy slots are mounted lower. Exept for the K model.

The Griffin is a great brawler if needed to be, it has better protection then the shadowhawk, but less usefull slots. And the Shadowhawk can mount an AC20. Where the Griffin can mount no ballistic slots whatsoever.

Another advantage is the insane torso twist of the griffin.

GRF-1NMy mostly used griffin, and one of the few XL engine mechs i use alot. PPC/LRM combo, with decent brawler capability

GRF-1S Brawler intended to brawl mechs into pain and submission. Surprisingly effective against clan medium mechs. Unload weapons and then torso twist!

GRF-3MLRM fire support with a nasty close range punch of 3 streaks and 2 medium lasers

But i should keep your shadowhawks.Because they are awesome

Edited by theta123, 30 August 2014 - 07:24 AM.

#3 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

Shadow Hawks all day, every day.

#4 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Griffins are better for srm brawlers, hawks are more versatile.

#5 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

Finish off the Shadow Hawks first. You can't really judge a mech until you've gotten all the Elite skills.

#6 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

Shawks tend to be deadly jump sniper. Thats over. Due to the nerf of jump jets and PPCs they are "normalized" to other mediums. You still can do fine with AC and PPCs, but it's harder then before.

Griffins are quite good SRM brawlers, but the best one is hands down the 1N.

But don't expect too much. Because of bad balancing mediums - beside of the stormcrow - are the weakest of all classes.

Edited by xe N on, 30 August 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#7 GorganKnight

• PipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

Well... The griffin is a great mech I had all three when I was a noob and sold them cuz I was a noob. Griffins could have ballistics but then it's a shawk

#8 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:09 PM

I like both chassis, but agree it's better to get a 3rd Shadowhawk to get speed tweak and double basic bonuses.

I have been having a lot of fun lately in a SHD-2K build which has both short and long range options, if you don't have it yet I highly recommend.

SHD-2K
3x ASRM6
1 ERPPC

This build can be done with the Griffins also, but the 2K has the energy mount high in the torso so it's much easier for shooting over objects (like your teammates). Griffins only have energy mounts in the arms. Also, both arms can be used as shields, and some armor stripped off to add an extra JJ compared to similar Griffin/Wolverine builds.

#9 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:12 PM

View PostRattler85, on 30 August 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

I have 2 Shadow Hawks and am debating between getting a third Shaddy or replacing them with Griffins. I am a bit more of a longer range guy and the ppc/lrm combo of the Griffins interests me. Also I really like my Summoners (A bit more powerful them the Griffins and I have been told the Summoner handles a lot like a big Griffin).

PPCs are jack, forget about that dream.

The shadowhawks can do the old school meta which was 2ac5 1ppc, which is still viable, though the decreased ppc velocity has made them less effective.

the 2k can also boat ERLL which is effective on long range maps.
There is no doubt the 3M Griffin smashes the shadowhawks in comparison when brawling.

Since most competitive players really don't use LRMs , I don't know to much which would be better though I have heard my teammates run the griffin for LRMs at time for sh*ts and giggles.

Edited by E N E R G Y, 01 September 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#10 Sewman

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:24 PM

Although I love my Griffin-1N, I'd definitely go for the 3rd one to Master the trio. Any and all mechs I've owned have completely woken up once mastered. Especially with mediums where Speed Tweak is so important to its survivability.

Which Shadow Hawks do you have? If you don't have the 2K, I'd definitely pick one of those up. After the nerfs to jump jets and PPC's it hasn't been quite as effective but I'd say the 2K is my favourite of the bunch. I've logged the most matches on it and it's great at tanking damage with both arms used as shields. The best part is the High mounted PPC or Laser builds which allows you to minimize your exposure while you get your shots off.

It does SRM brawler builds really well. Either 1 PPC + 3ASRM, 3MLAS+3ASRM or 2 PPC + 3 Streak SRMS + BAP. I've also seen 3 ERLL's used to good effect if you don't fire all three at the same time (ghost heat).

#11 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:43 PM

You can do most of the same loadouts on the SDH that you can do on the GFN. The GFN allows you to create a shield arm or dead side, but it's broader chassis makes it more prone to damage. Plus you lose that right arm and you're a sitting duck. The Hardpoints in many ways are better on the griffin but not totally so. The SDH is a very flexible chassis. I know I've done the LRM20/ERPPC combo with great success. One of my tougher medium mechs in an SDH 2D2 and 5M. Gonna have to try the K variant some day so I can do ZombieHawks.

No matter what, both chassis have to be fast and jumpy, and that will make them much more survivable with an XL engine to boot.

#12 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:12 AM

dont overtrust XL engines.

SHD-5M

This has been my most effective medium mech build, even more then my favourite griffin 1N

#13 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:19 AM

I don't believe in any medium going under 90 if at all possible, and I don't use ballistics. But if it's your thing, good deal. ;c)

#14 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

I dont trust any XL engines ;)
Speed can be compensated with tactics ;)

#15 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 September 2014 - 12:25 AM

Well, I don't brawl with a 10 FPS system. If I could actually see at ranges under 150, I'd consider it but my playstyle is to kill from where they can't shoot me back and walk away with as close to 100% health as possible.

Edited by Kjudoon, 02 September 2014 - 12:25 AM.

#16 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:31 AM

As someone who pilots nothing but Mediums, you will eventually get both. I would Elite the Shawks out first and then go with the Griffins. I run mine with LRMs. I'm not a big fan of the Shawks since they drive like a small heavy.

#17 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

if you are gonna build a shawk like an AC20 hunchie, use a hunchie. Same if not better speed, better torso twist, smaller profile. a shawk can mount JJ's but if you take them off you might as well use a hunchie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users