123 replies to this topic

#1 Verrue

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Hi fellows Mech pilots,

What do you use for your stormcrow variants?

Im still unsure what or how build them nice.

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

SCR w/GigaShotgun: "Fudd" (note: all Stormcrow fits work across all three released variants. You can put absolutely any SCR build on any SCR chassis, as the identifying CT Omnipod is identical across all Stormcrows)

This sweet little buzzard has been netting me kill after kill after kill. The spread effect of the LB-X is no big deal at the ranges you should be fighting at, and it's just so intensely powerful. Combined with the Stormcrow's excellent footspeed and ground agility and twenty-nine damage of backup lasers for only three and a half tons (<3 ERSLs), and you have one of the most wicked close-quarters face-wreckers I've devised yet. And unlike the Nova Prime and its various iterations, you have the heat efficiency on this sucker to stick to your target and pound them till they're down.

I've taken Timber Wolves face-to-face with mah GigaShotgun and come out on top, though admittedly I have not done that to the quad-SRM TBR-S types. Nevertheless, this is one of the best 'Mech-hunters in my entire stable and I heartily recommend it.

Alternatively, for a more long-distance bent: SCR w/C-ERPPCs: "Longhorns"

This sucker's one of the more effective C-ERPPC snipers I've utilized. The PPCs are mounted both high and tight - you have absolutely no problem hitting anything you can see, You've got plenty of heat sinkage to keep the PPCs in check, provided you're using chainfire with them (or have each of them on their own trigger, the way I do) or possess any modicum of fire discipline. And, of course, C-ERSLs make for a magnificent close-quarters knife-fighting armament - you've got the same damage inside 180 meters as a quartet of Inner Sphere medium lasers, on top of your PPCs still being perfectly usable inside that range. Flexible and responsive, if significantly hotter than GigaShotgun.

And finally: SCR w/Sane Number of Streak Launchers: "Squall Polly, Final Stage"

A lot of players are goign 5x C-SSRM-6 on the Stormcrow. I disagree - the cycle rate on a C-SSRM-6 launcher is just too long to not have anything to do between salvos. I rectified this issue by dumping the arm-mounted launchers for the quad C-ERSLs of my Longhorns SCR, as well as a head-mounted large laser (HEAD. MOUNTED. LARGE. LASER. Suck it, Spheroids!), providing both some ability to harass at long range as well as fast-cycling daggers for keeping up the pressure between missile launchers, as well as helping finish off components the Streaks open up. Does it mean I don't have a 60-point homing alpha strike? Yes - but I still have a 36-point homing alpha strike, and 31.25 points' worth of more focused, aimable damage out of my lasers. I've found the combination to work just fine, and have gotten kills with both weapon systems.

Those are my current three. Battle-tested, mother-approved.

Edited by 1453 R, 19 June 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#3 qki

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:16 PM

I run close to the canon A config: 4 ERML, 2SSRM6, LRM20, 13 DHS, Active Probe (the actual A runs 4 MPL with just 10 DHS and no BAP).

Engages targets at any range, directly or indirectly.

#4 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

I used something like this: SCR-C during the test, and it worked pretty well. Definitely a close-ranger, though.

This was my modification on the SCR-D: SCR-D.

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

I'm disappointed the Stormcrow can fit all kinds of builds my Summoner can only dream of. At least I can jump.

#6 Zeb Lazarus

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

Greetings,

This turned out to be an excellent build;

SCR-PRIME

1x ERLL
2x ERML
4x SSRM4
5 tons of ammo
Clan Active Probe
3x DHS

You could swap a DHS for a ton of ammo, but this worked really well in this set up. Fire the SSRMs sequentially to manage heat unless you really need to tag something, then drop the hammer with all 4 at once. They can eat up armor pretty fast regardless!

Enjoy!

Edited by Zeb Lazarus, 19 June 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#7 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

View PostZeb Lazarus, on 19 June 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

Greetings,

This turned out to be an excellent build;

SCR-PRIME

1x ERLL
2x MRLL
4x SSRM4
5 tons of ammo
Clan Active Probe
3x DHS

Clans got regular large lasers!?

Edited by Gigastrike, 19 June 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#8 Zeb Lazarus

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Typo...fixed ;-)

#9 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

Didn't really have time last few night to modify things just some tweaks to my Nova Prime.

So when i jumped into Stormcrow I just used stock and well frankly all 3 did rather well.

LRM varient umm D probably going to tweak a little to get some more ammo and play with SRM's (probably swap into SSRM's) they were a bit underwhelming but otherwise for now I am content until I get some more play time, till then its been a tough old bird amazed at how much damage I took in it before finally getting dropped.

C Varient begs for some big lasers on right left torso though with as high up as they are mounted for some sniping over hill fun.

Prime is actually a very effective setup the range on ER LL is insane, for now that one I have no complaints about.

#10 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

So far the Stormcrow has been my favorite Clan mech to play in MWO. Maybe I have been lucky, but it seems like any build I put together with this mech is devastating on the battle field.

This is what I have found so far:
Prime Varient: Can do anything. Laser boat, missle boat, or carry a huge AC! I like this the best because it has the extra energy hard point in the head.
Build1 With all D OmniPods
Absolutely love this build even though I have to over come SSRM lock times
Pulse Version
Runs a little hot, but I like it.

C Varient: I usually run this with and LBX20 or UAC20. So fare I am liking the UAC. I have also tried it with 3ERMLs giving me extra ammo (2tons) and an extra heatsink.
CBuild1

D Varient: I have tried this several different ways. All Steaks, All LRMs, ALL SRMs. I like the mix of LRMs and SRMs the best so far.
LRM+SRM Build
LRM+SSRM Build
Another Build I am experimenting with
I prefer the SRMs to the SSRMs, because I can free fire without having to wait for lock. However those SSRMs can be nasty!

So far I like them all, this mech is totally awesome!

Edited by PeeWrinkle, 20 June 2014 - 09:54 AM.

#11 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

I've been using these to grind the unlocks:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8582b1f1c84995e
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...80e830e15aa8ba6

Stats so far: Matches Played - Wins - Losses - Ratio - Kills - Deaths - Ratio - Damage Done - XP Earned - Time Played
Posted Image

Edited by The Mech Daddy, 20 June 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#12 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

I have really enjoyed piloting the Stormcrow. I can not wait until I unlock double basics.

I run the SCR-PRIME stock. Nothing fancy but it works. Why fix what is not broken.

I run the SCR-C with a Gauss and 4 ER Mediums. I think Gauss is going to make a big come back with the Clans since it runs so cool, adds some much needed precision fire, and the charge is shorter than all the beam durations by a long shot.

I want to run my SCR-D with 5xSRM6 + Artemis. Have yet to run it but I think it will be a blast up close.

#13 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

I've set my SCR-D up exceptionally cowardly. Plant NARC, run away, dump 4-5 volleys of CLRM40 into the sucker. Rinse, repeat.

My SCR-C is set up like a big Hunchback. I much prefer the CLB20-X over the CUAC20 because the former is the closest I'm ever going to get to pinpoint damage against bigger mechs, while having just enough spread and pellets to put the pain on lights,

I've tried running a mix of builds on my Prime but haven't had much luck on any of them. This SCR-PRIME build is what I want to love, but curse those Streak6 reload times.

Edited by CheeseThief, 20 June 2014 - 07:21 PM.

#14 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

I run the Prime stock, it's just good. The C I swapped the LBX straight across for a UAC10, added a lower arm actuator to the right arm (helps with lateral movement on the arms), and left the rest untouched.

The D... Ok, the D needed work. I stripped out the original weapons, Put the 20 launchers in the side torsos, tacked in Prime arms for 3 ERMLs and a TAG. After a few games I toyed with the launchers a little trying to take advantage of the second missile slot to up my rate of fire. Tried an LRM20 and 2xLRM10... That didn't work so well, ghost heat screwed me up badly. The final design went with a 20, 15 and 5 rack, and it can put out a lot of LRMs reasonably quick.

#15 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

View PostEscef, on 21 June 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

I run the Prime stock, it's just good. The C I swapped the LBX straight across for a UAC10, added a lower arm actuator to the right arm (helps with lateral movement on the arms), and left the rest untouched.

The D... Ok, the D needed work. I stripped out the original weapons, Put the 20 launchers in the side torsos, tacked in Prime arms for 3 ERMLs and a TAG. After a few games I toyed with the launchers a little trying to take advantage of the second missile slot to up my rate of fire. Tried an LRM20 and 2xLRM10... That didn't work so well, ghost heat screwed me up badly. The final design went with a 20, 15 and 5 rack, and it can put out a lot of LRMs reasonably quick.

Put the Prime head on that D config. Then you'll get 4xERML in the arms + TAG in the head.

Edited by Mizeur, 21 June 2014 - 11:58 AM.

#16 Guitar Czar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

SCR-C

Cause there's something humorous about people thinking you're a sniper build until they try to close distance with you and get an SRM12 in the face. Does run kind of hot though.

#17 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

Now that I have been playing the Stormcrow for a few days, I have settled on this build as my favorite. It is a killing machine!

I think I will call it Death in a Can! LOL

The only thing it struggles with is ECM, which has not been a problem since DDC's are usually taken care of for me by ERPPC's or disruption. The light mechs with ECM, I can usually get close enough to lock. But those can be a bit tough if there are two or three of them swarming you, but then again that is always tough.

#18 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:01 PM

Aiming to pick the 'best of the bunch' pods, this is my intended final build for my Prime when I'm done leveling them up;

Dire Crow

It's got the speed to get in close to brawling range, and with a 65pt alpha, rawr.

#19 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

View PostRouken, on 20 June 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

I want to run my SCR-D with 5xSRM6 + Artemis. Have yet to run it but I think it will be a blast up close.

It is indeed a blast. SRM's are good again!

If you can handle losing 2, might I suggest a variation?

SCR-KERBLAMMO

You've got the long range punch of the ER to help alleviate the SRM itch at the start of fights, where the urge to fling yourself headlong into the fray is almost too much to bear.

Once things are settled in, and the enemy paperdolls are all a lovely shade of orange, you strut your way into battle with your one-two punch of high explosive DOOOOOM and a 20 point SLAS strike to exploit any holes made by your SRM's. I've found it overall more effective than filling every hardpoint with missiles.

If you don't want to run the Prime, you can achieve similar results with the other two variants.

#20 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

View PostMizeur, on 21 June 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

Put the Prime head on that D config. Then you'll get 4xERML in the arms + TAG in the head.

I'd have to cut some ammo, trim some armor, a little of both, or drop the Active Probe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users