Workaround For Broken Freelook

5 replies to this topic

#1 clr

Rookie

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

It seems that free look will cease working if TrackIR or similar is installed. As far as I know it was done on purpose for the head tracking solution, however, it seems to stop working if there's an NPClient.dll in the registry for Natural Point which is also added by FaceTrackNoIR (and possibly also by FreeTrack).

In my case FaceTrackNoIR was not running but freelook wasn't working at all. So I've uninstalled FaceTrackNoIR and cleaned the fake Natural Point registry entry afterwards by deleting the entire NaturalPoint entry:
[color=#444444]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NaturalPoint[/color]

also deleted the remaining NPClient.dll and NPClient64.dll from the FaceTrackNoIR folder (leftover after uninstall).

Warning: if you have the original NaturalPoint software installed make sure you uninstall it first before removing this registry entry.

I think MWO should only disable free look if TrackIR was actually running or at least add on option to choose between head tracking and manual freelook.

Hope it helps.

clr

#2 Syntax Error22

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:53 AM

I can confirm deleting just the registry key listed above will work to restore normal free look function. PGI PLZ! Put in an option for TrackIR!!

#3 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:28 AM

I had trinus vr and have the same issue with free look not working. I'm not at all familiar with tinkering with game files. Would someone be able to give me step by step instructions on how to clear these files so I can freely look again?

#4 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

I finally solved my issue! Its the same instructions as above with deleting the npclient.dll, I just had mine in an Opentrack folder. Wish I could call it a blonde moment...

#5 raegenhere

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:56 AM

Since development seems to be more active these days, I'd like to bump this thread.

The problem persists. I build some kind of DIY track IR, broken at the moment. I used it with open track. I don't plan on using it for mwo, but I will for other games. I really don't want to uninstall the software or delete stuff in the registry, just because mwo ist broken that way.

Please fix! With VR and AR on the rise, the possibility for smartphone based pseudo VR/AR gimmicks, and all that, I guess more and more users will those dlls installed, MWO should be able to handle that without losing funtionality.

#6 Aufelir

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 11:56 AM

So uh, this is still an issue. Any news of a fix? I really don't feel like uninstalling a program I use for other games just because this one doesn't have a basic toggle. C'mon PGI...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users