Will MWO sport better team work than other online games?

99 replies to this topic

Poll: Teamwork? (232 member(s) have cast votes)

Will MWO have decent teamwork?

1. Yes teams lances will listen to commander no matter what (8 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

2. Probably, most people will follow orders or play smart and be loyal to their faction (63 votes [27.16%])

Percentage of vote: 27.16%

3. Meh I don't know. People may sort of vaguely think about following orders (99 votes [42.67%])

Percentage of vote: 42.67%

4. Nope people will just play lonewolf Rambo style and disregard tactics/teamwork (52 votes [22.41%])

Percentage of vote: 22.41%

5. Every mech for themselves...........charge (10 votes [4.31%])

Percentage of vote: 4.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 WalkingDeathBot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLooking for Paul so as to troll him

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:27 AM

I know one of the awful aspects of World of Tanks is getting thrown into teams game after game where people refuse to listen to one another, these are random or Pub (public matches).

However, in WoT when one plays a tank company battle basically custom matches with a commander there is usually a fairly high level of coordination. As well as in game voice chat.

Now the interesting thing I've noticed about MWO is mention that each team/lance gets a commander who can issue commands and orders. I'm extremely and excited and curious as to how that will play out.

If these forums are any indication though there are some really nice, mature, people out there ready to play so I feel that teamwork in MWO could really be a highpoint of this game.

The faction element should help out as well. We'll see. Sure wish those beta testers could let us in on how things are going.

#2 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

as long as this game has no VOIP, do not expect team work in PUG situations.

#3 WalkingDeathBot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

The devs did mention however there would be xp bonuses for completing command orders, this may help but we'll see. I'm also curious as to how commanders will be selected. Will it be by faction rank? No, I think they mentioned faction rank doesn't factor into who gains command.

#4 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:34 AM

The community is generally pretty mature so i think the people in general will work together a little better ... however F2P will bring in a flood of newer players to give it a go which is awesome, but they might not be versed in good teamwork.

The game mechanics need to encourage gameplay to really help. Battlefield 2 and 3 were pretty good for this by giving people points for doing teamwork actions. So a light mech might not strike the killing blow but if you are the guy directing those LRMS in you gotta be rewarded ... i think this is confirmed is in so +1 for teamwork.

Being able to set move orders and so forth will also help - a teamwork overlay that works is going to be essential. And following orders should give addition points (not too many but enough to be worthwhile)

However the great advantage this game has i think is it is SLOWER than other games. It is not so frenzied you lose track of the teamwork, you will be connected to each other and have the time to think about what you are doing.

In the end it shold be up to us - the people in here now who are the veterans or keen beans about mech to foster this and encourage people to play as a team and not cuss them out for not doing it.

Be positive and helpful and mentor new players - make friends, be a team player even if you feel that rage build when someone does something dumb. Up to us guys!

#5 Flyntlock

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:35 AM

One word, in randoms......No. If my time with WoT is anything to go by.

Edited by Flyntlock, 30 May 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#6 Forscythe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

The mech games i have played we always did better with someone taking the lead and barking out orders. That is not to say though that every game your gonna have a good leader though. Even if the game plan was crap alot of times it was better than everyone bickering.

#7 WalkingDeathBot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:41 AM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 30 May 2012 - 12:34 AM, said:

The community is generally pretty mature so i think the people in general will work together a little better ... however F2P will bring in a flood of newer players to give it a go which is awesome, but they might not be versed in good teamwork.

The game mechanics need to encourage gameplay to really help. Battlefield 2 and 3 were pretty good for this by giving people points for doing teamwork actions. So a light mech might not strike the killing blow but if you are the guy directing those LRMS in you gotta be rewarded ... i think this is confirmed is in so +1 for teamwork.

Being able to set move orders and so forth will also help - a teamwork overlay that works is going to be essential. And following orders should give addition points (not too many but enough to be worthwhile)

However the great advantage this game has i think is it is SLOWER than other games. It is not so frenzied you lose track of the teamwork, you will be connected to each other and have the time to think about what you are doing.

In the end it shold be up to us - the people in here now who are the veterans or keen beans about mech to foster this and encourage people to play as a team and not cuss them out for not doing it.

Be positive and helpful and mentor new players - make friends, be a team player even if you feel that rage build when someone does something dumb. Up to us guys!

World of Tanks plays fairly slow but teamwork is still the bane of all pug games. Light tanks also receive xp for scouting, and helping arty get kills shots, but many light tanks just suicide full speed to the enemy die, garner some xp and creds then leave. I'm really hoping we don't see a bunch of suicidal scout mechs.

I have very high hopes that MWO is doing a lot put emphasis on team play, but were all just so damn stubborn and love running and shooting whatever is right in front of us. However, a lot of got hooked on Mechwarrior back in the 90's so +1 for a mature crowd that may prove to use some great team play.

View PostForscythe, on 30 May 2012 - 12:39 AM, said:

The mech games i have played we always did better with someone taking the lead and barking out orders. That is not to say though that every game your gonna have a good leader though. Even if the game plan was crap alot of times it was better than everyone bickering.

Even a bad plan is better than no plan usually. Heres hoping. It would be nice to be reward with xp for following orders even if they don't work out. I like the whole incentive thing MWO is using. Although, I wish they had put in built in VOIP.

#8 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

if my time in BF3 on XBL is anything to go by, in terms of what I can expect of a 12 on 12 fight, I can expect my side <pug> will generally try for the same goal of wining, and perhaps in a semi-cohesive way, but, thats is as far as i can really expect to see team work go. as far as what to expect of my enemy, well, that depends on if that side is a pug or a fielded merc corp with private voip ya know?

#9 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

I don't think on a basic level the game design and mechanics play a roll in team work. That will have the biggest factor in decided if it will encourage it more so than MWO's peers. However, any competitive team vs team games spawns a pool of teams who will be come organised and cohesive outside of the game. In that case it's down to the people, not the game it's self.

#10 Dr Roshima

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:45 AM

Players will form units, meet in TS3-channels and listen to selected commanders. Simple as that.

#11 WalkingDeathBot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 30 May 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

if my time in BF3 on XBL is anything to go by, in terms of what I can expect of a 12 on 12 fight, I can expect my side <pug> will generally try for the same goal of wining, and perhaps in a semi-cohesive way, but, thats is as far as i can really expect to see team work go. as far as what to expect of my enemy, well, that depends on if that side is a pug or a fielded merc corp with private voip ya know?

You make a great point. I'm curious how Merc Companies will be implemented. A Merc Comp with private VOIP would wreck a pug team no ifs and or buts......Will be curious to see that. At least in World of Tanks VOIP was provided in game for tank company matches. Will have to get my Vent account fired up again.

#12 moerker

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:50 AM

As long as there is a spectator mode it could work.

Edited by moerker, 30 May 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#13 Eyclone

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

In game VOIP always seems too be rather fail In my experience, laggy, bad sync etc. etc. Id rather use something like TS or vent that Ive been using for years anyway

#14 War Dogz

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

Only if you can get Lights/Mediums to understand to stay alive is far better

Then just maybe it work.

#15 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostEyclone, on 30 May 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

In game VOIP always seems too be rather fail In my experience, laggy, bad sync etc. etc. Id rather use something like TS or vent that Ive been using for years anyway

matches look to be 20 minutes. this is just not enough time, to get a pug group onto a private TS server, unless the devs say: once in a group, you stay with that group until you or they log out. then wiffing a match to set up the server is an option, otherwise, it just isnt practical.

#16 KJ Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:18 AM

Team work is dependant solely upon the players, irrespective of the game title being played... prefer playing WoT in a platoon because then I know at least 1/5 of the side is working as a team!..

/start recruiting rant
...And yes, we have a TS server, capable commanders and are accepting applicants for tryouts at launch.... so stop worrying about whether the game will have better team work and join a team to make sure that it has!)
/ end recruiting rant

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 30 May 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

matches look to be 20 minutes. this is just not enough time, to get a pug group onto a private TS server, unless the devs say: once in a group, you stay with that group until you or they log out. then wiffing a match to set up the server is an option, otherwise, it just isnt practical.
You may organise and join with up to 12 players from a private 'chat channel' so if you drop with say 8 of your regular team mates and get 4 PuG members, like the way any of them play, invite them to your channel and give them your TS details.... soon up with a fully communicating Company... problem solved

#17 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

View PostKJ Crow, on 30 May 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

Team work is dependant solely upon the players, irrespective of the game title being played... prefer playing WoT in a platoon because then I know at least 1/5 of the side is working as a team!..

/start recruiting rant
...And yes, we have a TS server, capable commanders and are accepting applicants for tryouts at launch.... so stop worrying about whether the game will have better team work and join a team to make sure that it has!)
/ end recruiting rant

You may organise and join with up to 12 players from a private 'chat channel' so if you drop with say 8 of your regular team mates and get 4 PuG members, like the way any of them play, invite them to your channel and give them your TS details.... soon up with a fully communicating Company... problem solved

IF you have a group of people large enough to make that work. Take MY merc unit, been around for years on many games. Consists of myself and my friend of 20 + years. As of right now, he has limited time to play when this game goes live, he has a major real life concern that is more important than a game, so, players like myself, will be PUG near 100% of the time. TS or any other VOIP not built in, is not practical for me, which hurts my experience, and my teams by extension, since, I am basically rogue the entire time.

#18 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

The answer to this topics question is a resounding 'Nope'.

If Battlefield and World of Tanks are anything to go by you will have 3-4 players max per team that are willing to make a plan and the rest of them go where they want. The end result will be everyone going everywhere with the people who made the plan plugging the gaps, and the team which is better at doing whatever they are doing will win.

Chances are MWO will end up like WoT in that every map has one or two strategies and people will go do that. They aren't going to listen to you and you aren't going to be able to organise them, but the games will still play out with a semi-balance of structure.

Edited by cheesethief, 30 May 2012 - 01:27 AM.

#19 Shivus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:46 AM

I expect matches will play out more like MW:LL and less like WoT since unlike tanks, all mechs are effective against all mechs, and it's significantly more personal than 15 vs 15.

#20 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:52 AM

View Postcheesethief, on 30 May 2012 - 01:24 AM, said:

Chances are MWO will end up like WoT in that every map has one or two strategies and people will go do that. They aren't going to listen to you and you aren't going to be able to organise them, but the games will still play out with a semi-balance of structure.

relax man, i doubt it will end up WoT like, I think PGI is taking pains to avoid this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users