Workaround For Losing Movement Control.( Stuck In Perpetual Forward/backward Or Turning)

2 replies to this topic

#1 LuInRei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 167 posts
  • Location渦巻き中

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

Okay, looks like I'm not the only one with the issue of randomly losing movement control of my
mech. No it's not latency, not lag spikes and not poor performance.

It's very annoying, when instead of stepping out to let a shot or two around a corner you end
up involuntarily rushing out, berserker-style, in front of entire enemy team to meet your quick
and painfull end. Sometimes engaging in a dire duel only find out you can't aim, because your
mech stubbornly turns right despite your other input. Worst thing, once this happens you can't
stop no matter what, stuck in endless motion. This bug plaqued me for quite a while,
sometimes locking me in full reverse, sometimes in uncontrollable turning and running or just
turning.

To describe it briefly, after a certain key combination one or both of the following occurs:

1. Throttle goes up to maximum forward or backward and refuses to go down. Repeatedly
hammering "Full Stop" or other throttle settings works for a moment and then it climbs back to
maximum again.

2. If "Turn Left" or "Turn Right" were pressed during this combination - you'd get the same
stuck behaviour as above, perpetually turning left or right.

Once stuck in any of theese patterns, nothing seems to work to bring mech to a stop. The only
chance to get rid of it - is to either Alt+Tab out and then back in, or bring up Task Manager with
Ctrl+Alt+Del and tab back in.

Thanks to this thread http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3441247 I was able to narrow down the
culprit behind this bug.

I can reliably reproduce it in Training Grounds. The method is simple, hold down any of the
movement keys for around a second(w/s/a/d - in my case), then add Shift and then Alt.
Shift and Alt - are also "in my case", since it's the combination to change the input language.

Now, before some of you start to blame my crappy 1KRO keyboard, I've tried remapping both
movement keys and changing the input language hotkey. The problem persists with Shift+Crtl
as a language changer, and with i/j/k/l instead of w/s/a/d as movement keys.

Oh, btw, I'm running Win7, my keyboard interface is PS/2 and I've got three languages
installed on my PC (Russian, English and Japanese), and this is important. I think, it's not
possible to activate this bug with only English or, perharps with only English and Russian.

I could be wrong but I blame Microsoft IME(either Win7's built-in or the MWO's) for my
trouble. My proof is the screenshot from this thread. http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2633215
In the upper left corner of the screen - there is IME input applet with some japanese kana and
kanji mixed in with roman characters. I've seen this applet pop up on me when I press Shift+Alt,
but never consitently, (even in Training Grounds, where there should be no chat available) and
the problem of that thread's OP seems to be exactly the same as mine.

So, what I did was simply disable the hotkey for changing the input
language and, voila, the bug went away.

I hope this issue would be solved by PG`, but I won't hold my breath over it, as I doubt it'd be of
high priority. Maybe, some time in the future, who knows. At least, I hope, this post will help to
those, like me, who are experiencing this kind of stuck-ups.

Cheers, and Good Hunting.

P.S. Feel free to correct my English if anything, it's getting worse lately.

Edited by LuInRei, 06 July 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#2 SOIMiMozO

• Pip
  • Fire
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

Looks like it doesn't have anything to do with IME. Rather, layout switching itself is the source here.
I have two computers, one with Russian, English, Japanese, and another one with just Russian and English. Happens on both.
Fixed it by changing the layout switch combination from Alt+Shift to Ctrl+Shift. The problem is gone, but Ctrl+Shift combination drive me nuts.

#3 Side Step

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Sorry for necro. Thank you for fix!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users