Yen-Lo-Wang, Still Relevant?

66 replies to this topic

#1 TG Sundown

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

So I have a YLW with a 300XL engine, ac20 2xML and AMS (I sacrificed left arm armor for the ams).

I find as of 6-7/2014 when I started playing again, I am getting my butt handed to me. If I do much besides hide behind a rock I am swamped my long range weapons and if I do manage to get in close I might get a shot or two off before I'm dead. I used to be able to at least get into the thick of things before dying. Has this game become a long range sniper fest or am I missing something?

What are the community thoughts on the best build for the YLW?

Thanks!

#2 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

Fast mediums with AC20:s are still relevant,you just have to keep in cover until the brawl starts.
Kit Foxes and Adders are easy prey for fast IS mediums in general,couple of AC20 shells to face and down they go.

#3 Kyle Wright

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 663 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

Yeah its still somewhat relevant, during primetime hours I wont run one in groups. However, in SOLO queues equip your mech with radar dep, seismic, and two strikes. Use the radar dep to break lrm locks, seismic always stop prior to looking around a corner, and use the strikes to get you out of a situation thats to big to handle.

Also OP, ditch the ams and up your left arm armor back up to max. You need that arm to torso twist and shield your boomstick.ont he right.

Posted Image

#4 JonahGrimm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

... at the risk of sounding facetious, a ML/AC20 YLW melted my Stormcrow UAC20's face yesterday in dramatic fashion.

Yup, I'd say they're still relevant. :)

#5 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

View PostTG Sundown, on 11 July 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

So I have a YLW with a 300XL engine, ac20 2xML and AMS (I sacrificed left arm armor for the ams).

I find as of 6-7/2014 when I started playing again, I am getting my butt handed to me. If I do much besides hide behind a rock I am swamped my long range weapons and if I do manage to get in close I might get a shot or two off before I'm dead. I used to be able to at least get into the thick of things before dying. Has this game become a long range sniper fest or am I missing something?

What are the community thoughts on the best build for the YLW?

Thanks!

There are no realy relevant IS medium Mech builds atm imo
Its just Nova, Stormcrow and Timberwolf dominatin every game where they apear and are piloted by an at least averange pilot. A Nova or stormcrow pilot that looses one on one against a Centurion is either drunk or beginner level.

Edited by The Basilisk, 11 July 2014 - 07:17 AM.

#6 Chrysato Bahrudin

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

It is still my best mech statistic wise you just have to play them right. As was said above also ditch the AMS and max your left arm armor its a shield to protect your wang =P

#7 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

Still fun, but do not go out into the open on long sight lines. Even a kit fox will have fun with you. Use the terrain to move closer. Then use that boomstick.

#8 Gunslinger76

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

Agree with the above comments. The YLW used to be a terror but with the clan release the play style for it has changed. As Basilisk mentioned, the YLW shares a similar problem with many of the IS mediums - they dont have the speed to avoid the harder hitting clan mechs but the also don't have the armor or weapon load out to brawl with them either.

IMO, for what its worth, to be a successful IS medium pilot, especially a brawler, you need to be very patient and very aware of the battle around you. Stay in cover until the right time when the brawl begins. The YLW doesn't work as well as a hit-and-run medium anymore but it is still very useful for supporting heavies and assaults in brawls.

#9 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:00 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the XL300 builds. I had used AC20 and Gauss builds with an STD250, the Gauss feeling more comfortable to use for me.

However, the STD was indeed a bit slow to me, so as of now, I've opted for a STD275, LBX + MG I like to refer to as the "Critbuster" and I'm having a lot of fun with it. If I were to adapt the LBX to a XL300 build, I'd probably go for something like this. Nickname pending. But seriously, an XL300 would cost almost the triple amount of the STD275 I purchased. I'm not exactly willing to shell out that kind of money.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 12 July 2014 - 02:01 PM.

#10 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

People put XLs in their YLW?!?

Posted Image

#11 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Not that relevant, no, because SRMs are working again and they've nerfed AC20 projectile speed something fierce. With low projectile speed, it's hard to use AC20s at a distance, so I feel you may as well go with the SRM6+Artemis medium boats. If you use a Griffin, Wolverine or Shadowhawk, you get jump jets as well.

The YLW used to be my fave mech and my most lethal. As the devs tried to balance the game, I've experimented with gauss and ER LL, AC20 and 2 Mlas, AC20 and ER LL, STD and XL engines... it's just not what it used to be.

The Centurions are all far less relevant than they used to be, I'm afraid. Few people know how to use them as well as the more popular medium mechs.

#12 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 July 2014 - 02:13 PM, said:

...it's hard to use AC20s at a distance,

I found a problem with your logic, there. :P

#13 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostRhaythe, on 12 July 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

I found a problem with your logic, there. :P

That's funny, I thought you just decided to give another demonstration of your disinterest in having a normal conversation with arguments and the like.

I expect you will reply with another funny picture, at which point I have nothing more to say to you.

#14 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 12 July 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

That's funny, I thought you just decided to give another demonstration of your disinterest in having a normal conversation with arguments and the like.

I expect you will reply with another funny picture, at which point I have nothing more to say to you.

With the exception of your AC20-at-range argument, I thought you had a fairly valid point. Given that you fly off the handle at something meant to be slightly humorous, though, yeah, feeling's mutual. Try decaf next time.

#15 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

View PostRhaythe, on 12 July 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

With the exception of your AC20-at-range argument, I thought you had a fairly valid point. Given that you fly off the handle at something meant to be slightly humorous, though, yeah, feeling's mutual. Try decaf next time.

I'm perfectly calm, dude. I just don't like debates in the form of "nuh-uh", followed by "yuh-huh", which is what you get when someone contradicts without providing any counter-arguments.

But for the sake of being constructive, let's say your counter-argument is one of the following:
  • I can hit a Locust doing 170 kph at 500 meter range with an AC20.
  • I engage enemies at very close range with my YLW, so the low projectile speed is not an issue
To which I would say something like this:
  • If you're using an STD engine, you have limited room for ammo, so I don't see why you'd waste ammo shooting people from outside optimal range, doing less damage. You're wasting the YLWs one advantage, which is brawling with insane torso twisting,
  • If you've got a great aim at short range, then the damage output of 3xSRM6+Artemis will be far greater anyway. Both alpha strike and DPS is higher, and your good aim should negate the disadvantage of spreading damage.

#16 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 11 July 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Still fun, but do not go out into the open on long sight lines. Even a kit fox will have fun with you. Use the terrain to move closer. Then use that boomstick.

You just gave away the secret to any IS mech defeating any clan mech.

#17 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 12 July 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

You just gave away the secret to any IS mech defeating any clan mech.

Or taking out LRM mechs

#18 Solomon Ward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

I run XL 300, 2 Medium Pulse Laser , 12 DHS.
I`d love to have another ton of ammunition and think about downgrading the XL and getting rid of FF and the additional Heatsinks to do so.Not sure if it is worth the sacrifice.
Medium Pulse Laser and speed ( XL>=275) are mandatory imho.I see people having success with the standard engine -just doesn´t work for me.

Edited by Solomon Ward, 12 July 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#19 Flying Fox 333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

Given the recently announced industrial city in the hills map. I think this mech will be in its own element here, with the narrower streets and urban setting. I'd like to see what someone can do with it on this map.

Edited by Flying Fox 333, 12 July 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#20 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Go hunt the LRM campers. Thats what I do with my Yel Lo. Most are sitting ducks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users