5 replies to this topic

#1 oktocat

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 24 posts
  • LocationIn a Mist Lynx?

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:45 PM

So, 2 times today, i saw a catapult with all lrms. One of them had 4 lrm5s and a narc. are these type of builds viable, or not?

Edited by oktocat, 26 June 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#2 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Probably fun as a suppression mech in pug matches. Dunno if it would be viable much in competitive play though. I'm not an elite player so that part is out of my field of expertise.

The only issue with a Cat A1 mounting a NARC is that the NARC has a max range of 450m. And LRM5s at that range aren't going to do much except annoy the target as he closes in.

So if you're in the back, making enemies run for cover while your allies close in, that's fine, but you're not going to make much use of the NARC. If you're inside 450m, ok you can narc targets, but your LRM5s aren't going to do that much.

Personally, I setup missile boats with a pair of big launchers, like 15s or 20s, and mount some SRMs or Streaks for close range brawling. I don't like limiting myself to only one very specific role.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

The Catapult A1 can only mount all missiles. That's all it has, 6 missile hardpoints. 6x LRM5s offer a lot of screenshake and a steady flow of damage, while boating LRM15s can offer huge firepower. They can be vulnerable and require awareness and teamwork.

#4 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

To be fair, I enjoy the Catapult, and use one myself. So yes this is a good build to some extent. If you intend to build one, go for it.

In general the Catapult has the following advantages (depending upon the build).
Jump Jets
LRM or SRM
Energy Hardpoints

Disadvantage: It works best when others have targeted an opponent, something that not everyone does.
Light Mechs will eat you alive.

#5 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

I run 5xALRM5 and 1xALRM10 on my A1C. Good for 400-500 damage and a couple of kills. Unless there is a Kitfox around. still hella fun to stream those lurms.

#6 oktocat

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 24 posts
  • LocationIn a Mist Lynx?

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Ok thanks for your input! Just decided to ask because i have seen several of them. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users