Wanted:nova Alternatives

15 replies to this topic

#1 Main Man

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

I've run the 12sl/4mg Nova for a while and it's extremely effective but limited range is limiting the fun. I need some alternatives. What are your favorite non SL boat builds for the Nova?

#2 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

6ML 4MG.
2LL, UAC5.
6MPL.
There are a few others that you can use.

#3 Zeus89

• PipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

I found the prime variant of 12 ERmed can be extremely effective if you use 3 groups of 4 instead of the default 2 groups. Makes heat management much easier.

As for alternative variants, I dropped 2 MGs on the NVA-S, swapped out all the medpulse for 2 ERLL and 4 ERSmall, and added to my MG ammo. Still packs a punch in close, but it's got some range too. With the NVA-B, I slapped in an AC-20 and 2 ERmeds, but I'm considering changing that up to some smaller ACs and maybe a PPC.

#4 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:19 AM

Heres one that's pretty different from your typical close range melter build. Personally I find the Nova is too slow, not tanky enough, and too much of a priority target for such close ranges and so I went with this and had a consistently higher match score and damage output. In general I like to try and do something a little different with each variant within a chassis or else I get bored quickly This one is for the Nova-b:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...455beac08c71864 EDIT: to clarify, that's a Mark 2 targeting computer on there, its kind of obscured. I find ghost heat isn't a big deal with only three, on hot maps though just fire the torso laser first and then wait a half second and pile on the arm lasers. From far away having stupid low slung ape arms isn't such a big deal ;)
This build is still adequate damage compared to an IS mech and has far superior range,
the targeting computer is nice to have since the build doesn't run too hot like other Nova builds, and the MGs are there when something gets close and you need something to do while you cool off.......and just because I love the sound effect of the MGs.

I have a very weird build for the Nova-S also:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...39eb3349b83a947

This build is laughable at first, and not something Id take to a 12 man certainly but.....if they ever get the hit detection fixed on the UAC/2s and LBX-2s this build would actually be pretty good. As it is I still had a couple matches over 600 damage and 3-4 kills. Its a little short on ammo and I don't like shaving any armor off the legs on a Nova, but at least theres no ammo there like on an IS mech! Overall I'd say the first build I listed is a tad better on average, but this one is certainly fun and gives you something to play with at long range and is a nice change from the machine guns. I run something like this on my Summoner-D but with 2 LBX-5s instead of 2s and that's what gave me the idea.

Edited by Scrotacus 42, 13 July 2014 - 04:33 AM.

#5 Radi Jeager

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

you could just be utterly silly like my nova prime....

12 Clan FLAMERS :ph34r: This is my Flamenwerfer, it Werfers Flamens!

Surprisingly, if you usei t riht, it jsut melts mechs. shuts them down, then you jsut keep on melting away.

Shocingly, last match I used it in yielded me 290 damage and a kill!

But in all seriousness, I currently opted for 6 medium lasers on one arm, 6 flamers on the other. I chain the lasers at range, and if any light mech is stupid enough to get close, I shut em down with the flamers then **** their cockpits ^^

#6 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

use LBX-2s for funsies.

#7 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

My fav is still my 2 lrg pulse 4 SmLas and 2 MG gun build, but i also like the B variant with a UAC5, 4er med and 2 mgs!

#8 Jakob the Traitor

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

I run the default prime I fire in 2 groups of 6 very hot but very dangerous ) pretty much sit back with the group and aim for the CTs firing 6 then waiting a second firing 6 more normally destroys anythingPosted Image

#9 Kitane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

Leveled all three variants with 8 C-ERML, Probe and TC1, rest in heatsinks. Simple, straightforward, cool enough even in Mordor.

8 C-ERML = 6 IS LL = still enough firepower to melt faces.

#10 Jalthibuster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm running 2 C-ERLL + 4 or 6 C-ERSML + 2 or 4 MG.
At the beginning you can give good long range fire support out of range of most enemy weapons and still be good for the later brawl. Using this builds quite succesful.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostMain Man, on 12 July 2014 - 04:45 PM, said:

I've run the 12sl/4mg Nova for a while and it's extremely effective but limited range is limiting the fun. I need some alternatives. What are your favorite non SL boat builds for the Nova?

From a new player thread. This may help you as well. And yes there is some SL boating.

View PostKoniving, on 23 July 2014 - 11:00 AM, said:

Edit: I cannot stress this enough. The Nova REQUIRES that you disable armlock to be useful. Much like a Dragon, it's advised to have strong knowledge and skill in using the arms independent of the body. You'll never be happy with it until you do.

8 ER ML. This ultra basic build is Extremely heat efficient, and every single blow is 28 damage. Set it up as two basic firing groups (left and right).

10 ER SL and 4 MGs, once enhanced with the targeting computer, will have identical range. Each shot is 24 damage, and the illusion of not being as long range (they can't know you have a targeting computer) will lull them into a false sense of safety at medium range. It's a little hot in comparison, so if you get close use the MGs.

1 ER PPC, 1 ER LL, 6 ER SL. Rather than specialized, this mech has versatility to suit every situation. It's very important to use each weapon type separately and to use the ER PPC in moderation. At close range when possible just go to the ER SL.

Good luck!

#12 Ardney

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • 171 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

I run one of my Novas with 6 smalls, 3 meds, 1 ER PPC, and 2 MGs. Engage at long ranges w the PPC, add med laser fire to that for medium range, and use ppc + smalls and MG for short range.Heat efficiency of exactly 1.0.

I have an energy weapon bias and tend to prefer building for single engagements ranges, but the above build actually has a slightly higher W/L ratio than my other Novas, so take that for what it's worth.

Edited by Ardney, 23 July 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#13 Maverick27

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:43 AM

I've been mixing up my Novas a bunch lately but so far some of my favorite non-standards are:

8ML + TC
6SL, 3MG, UAC5
3ML, LBX10

#14 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:14 AM

I currently run my Nova-B as follows;

RA - CU-AC5
RT - C-ER LL
LA - 2 C-ML

Thats it.. simple and fun~

#15 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

3ERML, UAC10 and 4ERLL builds here

#16 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:07 AM

run dual ams w/ 6 er med and 6 er sml w/ targeting computer. meds are chainfire to reduce ghost heat, smalls are group fire. dual ams because of everybody being lrm happy lately.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users