Am I The Only One Who Can't Stand Driving Shadowhawks?

74 replies to this topic

#1 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

Shadowhawks seem to be a popular mech, but tbh I don't see the appeal. I given the choice I would much rather pilot a hunchback, centurion, wolverine, or blackjack. It is my least favorite medium by far.

That said I have the Phoenix package, which means I have a Phoenix SHD-5H that I can't sell. I've tried running it as a fast SRM skirmisher with little success, and the Meta-tart does not appeal to me.

What should I do with it?

#2 Skull Leader2

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

A lot depends on your play style. The Shadowhawk is really good at using speed as a skirmisher like you said. I like to hit and run but I am also able to stay in the thick of a fight with mine just using SRMS, LLAS and MG. I actually survive much longer than other mechs and do more damage in my Shadowhawk than I do in most of my other mechs.

I think one thing the Shadowhawk offers better than any other mech is the ability to spread out damage. Even using an XL engine, I don't know if its because the mech is long and thin, broken hit boxes, fast, etc. I just know that I've finished matches with less than 35% health while still being dangerous enough to hunt and kill other mechs. I was still killing the other day with only 23% health left.

I've also used a Shadowhawk like a Hunchback too. I like to put a big Gauss Rifle in the ballistic slot and used lasers to round out. You can also mount dual PPCs in the arms of two of the models if you like or mix in SRMS or SSRMS.

#3 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

You know how sometimes there is that cursed mech variant that simply rejects all attempts to have a decent build and good match?

Make that not just one variant, but the entire mech family and you will get my Shadowhawks. All three variants I have are my worst performing mediums, and I have unlocked almost all mediums in the game.

I hate them and they respond in kind, it seems.

#4 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

I hate the Shawk as well. Feels too much like a heavy when piloting it.

#5 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

View PostKitane, on 15 July 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

You know how sometimes there is that cursed mech variant that simply rejects all attempts to have a decent build and good match?

Make that not just one variant, but the entire mech family and you will get my Shadowhawks. All three variants I have are my worst performing mediums, and I have unlocked almost all mediums in the game.

I hate them and they respond in kind, it seems.

With the notable exception of the 5M on stock mech mondays this has been my experience as well.

That said I have a Phoenix variant that I can't sell so I'm looking for Ideas and suggestions.

#6 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 14 July 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:

Shadowhawks seem to be a popular mech, but tbh I don't see the appeal. I given the choice I would much rather pilot a hunchback, centurion, wolverine, or blackjack. It is my least favorite medium by far.

That said I have the Phoenix package, which means I have a Phoenix SHD-5H that I can't sell. I've tried running it as a fast SRM skirmisher with little success, and the Meta-tart does not appeal to me.

What should I do with it?

The SDH is not a brawling mech. At best it's a light hunter or sniper, or LRMisher. If you want to go toe to toe and slug it out, sell it off or ignore it.

#7 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 15 July 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

The SDH is not a brawling mech. At best it's a light hunter or sniper, or LRMisher. If you want to go toe to toe and slug it out, sell it off or ignore it.

Can't sell it, Phoenix

#8 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

I haven't gotten into my Shadow Hawk in awhile since I prefer my Yen Lo when I run medium but I have had a good deal of success with my 5H using an AC5, PPC, and SSRMs. Kjudoon is right, it's not a brawling mech. My setup doesn't even hit particularly hard but given some time and distance and you can do some real damage. The SSRMs are just to scare off lights.

#9 Skull Leader2

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

I can appreciate having a mech family that you just don't get, I'm looking at you Centurion. Beyond that, I've used my Shadowhawk (Phoenix edition) as a brawler/raider with great success. I run a LLAS in right arm. 2x SRM6 Artemis and 2x MG (1000rnds only), 340 XL engine, 3 JJ, Max armor on torso, 40 on each leg and round out with Double Heat Sinks. I regularly am one of the last on my team with this build or I am getting 2-3 kills a match while also doing significant damage.

The keys to using Shadowhawk as a brawler are:
A) Get comfortable targeting with SRMS. 12 SRMS with artemis do really good damage. I have gotten to the point that I am hitting moving lights with them.

:( Movement, movement movement. With my build I move at 110kph and have JJ. I am outmaneuvering many of the heavier brawlers even if I simply run right past them and hit them with an SRM blast before I jump turn to hit them again. The speed also allows you the flexibility to duke it out with the squirrels too.

C) Perhaps think of the build less as a brawler and more as a martial artist. You getting your hits in but not necessarily standing right in front of the mech for every hit. Shadowhawk can take a beating and keep ticking more so than many other mechs due to the way damage gets distributed as I said previously.

#10 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

I can't agree with the statement that a Shadowhawk can't brawl. Given their ability to spread damage reasonably well and pack some mix of Big Autocannon and SRM's, they can pack a nasty punch up close. The drawback is, admittedly, that you're rather large and have mediocre torso twist. Still, if you get a foe in line of your weapons, he will melt. In an odd way, they sort of play like "pocket assault mech" in that regard - a sacrifice of mobility for up-front firepower with most heavy weapons torso mounted. If you can keep a foe within weapons arc in an assault mech, you'll have no problems doing it in a Shadowhawk.

That being said, the "lesser" mediums still have their place. Centurions can still tank better than almost anything in the game, and Hunchback's have astounding torso twist, making them ideal for circle-brawling a foe to death. Still, overall the Shadowhawk is numerically better since it has good hitboxes and jumpjets. But play whatever works - I still play my Hunchbacks.

Edited by oldradagast, 18 July 2014 - 05:04 AM.

#11 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

yeah shadowhawks are near the bottom of my medium totempole to the point where i only recently noticed i never quite finished mastering them (was about 3-5k xp short for each variant). i do ok damage in them i guess though it never seems like i do that much with them til i see the numbers at the end. but never really saw why everyone raves about them so much.

#12 Vimeous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

Once upon a time the 2D2 was the go-to medium.
Pre SRM fixes it was a SSRM2 boat with extras, speed and JJ's that made a great light hunter and could outmanoeuvre heavier, slower mechs in a brawl.
Whether that's still the case I've not tested, it's a very different battlefield now.

That said I'm still not keen on non-meta 5M builds.
The 2D with erppc, ssrm's and mgs is pretty good in the second half of a match. Snipe until something with exposed internal structure gets in range then go to town!#

They're not everyone's cup of tea but 'hawks can be game changers with a little patience.

#13 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

I hate em also, mostly cause of the looks though.

#14 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

try this SHD-2H

low jumps with the Gauss, srm bashing for those that close. accurate, cool, nimble, good firepower.

i run my SHD-5M like that and it is a solid well rounded performer, just protect that gauss.

#15 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

Posted Image

Just embrace the meta... 2xac5 1xerPPC. Shadowhawks were one of my favorite mechs because of the consistent dps output at range as well as the mobility to make yourself a tough target. You can literally only show your head and shoulder and ding people for 10 damage with ur 2xac5s over and over again.

#16 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

View Postpwnface, on 21 July 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

Just embrace the meta... 2xac5 1xerPPC. Shadowhawks were one of my favorite mechs because of the consistent dps output at range as well as the mobility to make yourself a tough target. You can literally only show your head and shoulder and ding people for 10 damage with ur 2xac5s over and over again.

well no wonder you had that much damage. Look at the other team you were facing, I've never seen that many DDC's and plus it was on alpine, did they ever get close to you?

#17 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Well they can't get close to you if you back up when they push forward. Using range and cover works pretty well.

#18 mdmzero0

• WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

Shadowhawk 2D with two PPCs and an AC-5 is a monster. All left-side mounted, and can still be plenty fast. You use cover and jump jets, spread damage, and you'll snipe with the best of them.

#19 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

I really like all the Shawks... I run AC's on most of them with a combination of either SRMs or SSRMs.

I recently picked up a 2D for a meta Shawk to see what it was about but even as an ac20/ medium laser build it can be a lot of fun.

Maybe try a ac20 Shawk with a couple streaks or lasers? Fast brawler in behind the heavies and assaults.

#20 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

I gave the 2H a shot and it was ok, but I just found it to be too slow and cumbersome for my liking. Maybe not having Elite efficiencies might have been the problem, but next to my Trebs and Hunches, it felt like I was driving an Atlas with jump jets.

The line is tough, XL friendly, and has a lot of build potential, so I can see the appeal. But I guess I like some good handling with my mechs instead of just firepower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users