Am I The Only One Who Can't Stand Driving Shadowhawks?

74 replies to this topic

#21 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 21 July 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

I gave the 2H a shot and it was ok, but I just found it to be too slow and cumbersome for my liking. Maybe not having Elite efficiencies might have been the problem, but next to my Trebs and Hunches, it felt like I was driving an Atlas with jump jets.

The line is tough, XL friendly, and has a lot of build potential, so I can see the appeal. But I guess I like some good handling with my mechs instead of just firepower.

i can't see how you would think that they move like atlases, are you putting in 150 engines?! 280+ IMO.

#22 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 14 July 2014 - 01:22 AM, said:

Shadowhawks seem to be a popular mech, but tbh I don't see the appeal. I given the choice I would much rather pilot a hunchback, centurion, wolverine, or blackjack. It is my least favorite medium by far.

That said I have the Phoenix package, which means I have a Phoenix SHD-5H that I can't sell. I've tried running it as a fast SRM skirmisher with little success, and the Meta-tart does not appeal to me.

What should I do with it?

Mothball it.
Seriously, maybe in 3 or 4 month when things have changed a bit and the clan mech rush has been swooped away and some other things have been altered the SHD is more appealing to you.
I can't stand it myself because I can't see **** in it due to its AC slot on its shoulder.

Edited by The Basilisk, 22 July 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#23 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 22 July 2014 - 05:55 AM, said:

Mothball it.
Seriously, maybe in 3 or 4 month when things have changed a bit and the clan mech rush has been swooped away and some other things have been altered the SHD is more appealing to you.
I can't stand it myself because I can't see **** in it duw to its AC slot on the shoulder.

That's why I never cared for them either. Worst FOV out of all the Medium mechs. Hunchback included. IMHO, the Griffin has the best FOV out of all the medium mechs. What the SHD does do well, is balanced loadouts. With all 3 hardpoint types you can deal damage at a wide range.

Jody

#24 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Dont see how the OP can have any issues with the SHD when its one of the best 'Mechs in the game hands down.

https://docs.google.....g272189aab_790

edit: fixed link

Edited by Kin3ticX, 25 July 2014 - 10:56 PM.

#25 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

View Postzudukai, on 22 July 2014 - 05:04 AM, said:

i can't see how you would think that they move like atlases, are you putting in 150 engines?! 280+ IMO.

I ran an XL295 in it. Like I said, it was OK, but even then it just felt cumbersome. I couldn't twist and turn as fast in it as I could in my other mechs. Despite the higher armour, I wasn't able to spread damage as easily and wound up going down faster. My K/D in it was nowhere near as good as my Hunches.

Edited by TripleEhBeef, 22 July 2014 - 12:48 PM.

#26 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 22 July 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Dont see how the OP can have any issues with the SHD when its one of the best 'Mechs in the game hands down.
see chart here (not yet updated with clans)

Have you ever piloted one? They handle for ****!

If we ever get the Griffin 5m, the Shawks will never be used again.

#27 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

I really can't do very well with the Shadowhawks. When I see someone running a Shawk meta build with PPC and AC / gauss, I just tip my hat and think "fair play to them", because I could never do what they do. I hate having that huge cannon taking up 40% of my field of vision. I hate almost every Shadowhawk build I've ever tried.

I know a lot of the competitive players will tell you the Shadowhawk is the best inner sphere medium mech in the game. Well, not for me, it isn't.

#28 Inferno Knight

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:06 AM

Never been a fan of IS mechs I got into Mechwarrior/Battletech with Mechwarrior 2 31 Century so the first mech's I saw were clan mechs... Only IS mech I like is a Atlas,Marauder and Catapult...

#29 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 July 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

SHADOW HAWK SHD-2H 284 216 67 W/L:3.22 300 84 KDR:3.57 151,132 361,488 1 day 02:31:35

#30 Gunslinger76

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

A big part of the SHD is getting those elite slots. When I first bought mine, I was super disappointed in how cumbersome it felt. Once it got elite'd though, the mech handled much better. Admittedly, it doesn't feel as nimble as some of the other mediums. But with an XL300, all 3 JJ, and the elite slots, I can move and jump all over heavies and assaults. The added bonus is the durability that allows a SHD to stay engaged when its outtonned.

#31 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

I found the 2H to be a bit of a toublemaker in the set, and the 5M was just another 2H to me. However, I've had decent luck with my Shadowhawks, though I preform better with my Griffin I must admit.

I have my Shadow 2H set up as a test bed to test what some people where "claiming" about LRMs, Artemis and TAG's relation and it's performance. It's set up with an AC5 for defense and long range direct fire support, a TAG and two ALRM10s. It's been working fairly well, but you have to play for the long game, and not for short gains. (I was testing someone's theory where they claimed that LRMs with TAG and Artemis will "always" hit the CT of a target. Though TAG does help, I can say from personal experience, TAG+Artemis does not guarantee any such things.) Been working well enough that I never bothered to change my test design...

My other Shadowhawk is the 2D2 (I sold the 5M), and it's been a great performer for long and close range combat, if one is careful about their heat levels. I have twin ERPPCs (can be ERLLs easy enough), and 4 SSRM2 systems. ERPPCs are for long range and occasional close range pokes, and the SSRMs are to rock people, and chase away any light mechs. Set all weapons to chain fire is my suggestion.

My Shadowhawk 5M I designed as an oddball of the group. It was slow. It had LRMs, but also an AC20. However, it shinned in it's own fashion when I played it. The AC20 scared most people to range, and my LRMs constantly drove people into my AC20 ranges... It was a very strange mech to run...

The Shadowhawks strength is also it's weakness. It's a general purpose mech, with a well balanced amount of hardpoints on it. One can, in theory, set up a Shadowhawk to preform a large mix of roles. However, at the same time, because of it's mixed hardpoint loadout, it is very hard pressed to boat any one system, especially any kind of mass laser systems. This leaves the chassis flexible, but sometimes hard to work with.

The Shadowhawk is a powerful, and great, chassis. However, it's build loadouts are not always as clear cut as some other mechs are, such as the Griffin, Cicada or even Blackjacks. It's a mech one has to experiment with to find that right balance of weapons to preference, and it's going to probably have some (heavy) ammo dependency.

(I don't know if my links are working anymore. They keep bringing up blank Smurfy pages for me... but Smurfy isn't even bringing up selected chassis for me either right now...)

#32 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 23 July 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

SHADOW HAWK SHD-2H 284 216 67 W/L:3.22 300 84 KDR:3.57 151,132 361,488 1 day 02:31:35

So you want to troll and not have a rational discussion regarding the draw backs that everyone knows...K got it...

#33 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

To each their own I guess. I like my Shawks a lot since the SRM fix, and they are pretty flexible with the loadouts. Nimble enough on most maps, and JJ's to keep things interesting. It's not an overwhelming mech, but pretty solid middle of the road one that handles well enough at 55T to be reasonably agile for the firepower I can bring.

#34 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 23 July 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

View PostKin3ticX, on 23 July 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

View Postmogs01gt, on 25 July 2014 - 05:14 PM, said:

So you want to troll and not have a rational discussion regarding the draw backs that everyone knows...K got it...

#35 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

Shadowhawks are great mechs, if you don't like it don't play it.

#36 bossclan

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 89 posts
  • LocationIndiana United States

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

The Shadowhawk is one of the best mechs around,it can do anything and do it all well.
I do like it better with a 280 xl but sometimes its nice to pack that ac20 ML build and just duke it out and that requires the standard engine.
Its high mounted weaponry and great hardpoint selection make it fun for any loadout.

#37 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

What bothers me about them is the reduced range of motion for their torsos, and they do feel like an assault mech when it comes to twisting and such. I understand what you're talking about OP.

I never loved them either, but I do enjoy the way they play.

#38 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:35 PM

I don't get where this bad handling non-sense is coming from. Look at the torso yaw rate for the Hawk vs. the Griffin. In a brawl that quicker twist speed is a god send.

The Griffin is junk and everyone knows it.

#39 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 25 July 2014 - 11:35 PM, said:

I don't get where this bad handling non-sense is coming from. Look at the torso yaw rate for the Hawk vs. the Griffin. In a brawl that quicker twist speed is a god send.

The Griffin is junk and everyone knows it.

Clearly, it's not. As people here believe so.

EDIT: Also, why are you so defensive? OP is saying they don't like the SHD. No one is saying it sucks.

Also, just because you can't get a mech to work right, doesn't mean it's a bad mech. Someone else might find a way for it to work.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 25 July 2014 - 11:43 PM.

#40 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostKin3ticX, on 25 July 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

Nice chart....and....completely offtopic.
If you would have read thoroughly you would have noticed no one here is talking about metagaming bullscrap but about personal reasons NOT TO DRIVE A SHD.

The main reasons for feeling uncomfortable in SHDs most ppl are mentioning seem to be the restricted field of view and the somewhat awkward movement/ torso and armtwist of the Mech.
So theres a point of personal feeling and preference here, nothing to do for flipchart- and exelwarrioronline.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users