Clan Flamers, Cersl, And Targeting Computers

Weapons Balance

5 replies to this topic

#1 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Can someone at Piranha explain to me why anyone in their right &/or wrong minds would ever take a clan flamer when they could take a targeting computer and use ersl with 200M range, less heat and close to the same crit chance as flamers?

Flamers have been pretty bad for a while, but targeting computers pretty much make them the worst possible weapon choice available in the game now overall.

The flamer is a weapon that should generate at least the same amount of heat for the user as the target at the bare minimum but that isn't even taking place. Its just an overall poorly developed weapon.

#2 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

Can someone explain to us why we have flamers but no infantry to use them on?

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

View PostBlood Rose, on 14 July 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

Can someone explain to us why we have flamers but no infantry to use them on?

Infantry wouldn't suddenly make Flamers useful. You can simply click-and-drag any laser of your choice over multiple troopers on the ground to kill them. The Clan ER Large Laser in particular, with its 1.5 second duration, would be extremely good at sweeping over squads. The 1.0 second duration ER Small Laser would also be better to use than Flamers, because it can do some damage to real armor in addition to infantry (although the CERML is generally better than both weapons anyways).

Dedicated anti-infantry weapons only worked in TT because you couldn't aim, and FASA gave them entirely different damage values/mechanics. As an example, that Flamer would kill anywhere between 4 and 24 infantry troopers every time you used it (roll 4d6).

The ability to aim in MWO means that DoT lasers can fulfill an anti-infantry role while still hurting mechs, whereas in TT that laser might only kill 1 or 2 soldiers each time you fired (pulse lasers got a bonus against infantry, though, and small/micro pulse had the same anti-infantry damage as MGs: 2d6).

Edited by FupDup, 14 July 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#4 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'd be interested to see it repurposed as a nerfing weapon, i.e., getting hit with a flamer causes all weapons to generate +X% heat for Y seconds. More flamers translates to more penalty heat and/or longer duration.

#5 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

View Postprocess, on 14 July 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

I'd be interested to see it repurposed as a nerfing weapon, i.e., getting hit with a flamer causes all weapons to generate +X% heat for Y seconds. More flamers translates to more penalty heat and/or longer duration.

I'd be happy if a flamer generated 2 heat on me and 2 heat on my target OR if they made it where 1 Flamer shut down 1 external DHS for 1 Sec if its on the targeted spot. Aim center mass with 5 flamers, you shut down 5 engine DHS while generating your own heat as well.

#6 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

View Postprocess, on 14 July 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

Or getting hit by a flamer screws up PPCs so they generate 10x heat whenever they are fired, allowing me to leeroy jenkins a group of poptarts and end up saving my team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users