Griffin: Why Did Pgi Choose The 3M And Not The 2N?

57 replies to this topic

#1 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:01 AM

Im not sure what the benefit is with the 3m over the 1n and 1s. It's 3.5mil more C-bills and doesnt really give the pilot a large benefit in hard points(other than the XL engine). For the price, I think the 2n(ECM version) would have been more justified since Medium mechs are already a bit under-powered in our TDM game modes.

Discuss!! :P

Mogs

Edited by mogs01gt, 23 July 2014 - 06:01 AM.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:04 AM

Because even though they don't say it, they know ECM is an OP game changer. That's why we got the ECM spider in january last year, and no further ECM mechs until the kit fox releases next month.

#3 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

ECM is unbalanced and OP. PGI is aware of this. I think the only reason that they gave the Kitfox ECM was because balance required at least one clan mech to have it if you ever want to run clan vs IS matches. Other than that, they have not added a new ECM mech in a long long time.

The cost differential on the Griffon is due to equipment .. not hard points. The XL engine accounts for the most or all of the pricing difference (though other items like DHS, Endo and FF could also add to the price difference if they are included in the variant).

#4 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:11 AM

View PostMawai, on 23 July 2014 - 06:09 AM, said:

ECM is unbalanced and OP. PGI is aware of this. I think the only reason that they gave the Kitfox ECM was because balance required at least one clan mech to have it if you ever want to run clan vs IS matches. Other than that, they have not added a new ECM mech in a long long time.

The cost differential on the Griffon is due to equipment .. not hard points. The XL engine accounts for the most or all of the pricing difference (though other items like DHS, Endo and FF could also add to the price difference if they are included in the variant).

ECM is basically a legacy feature.

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

Simple answer: Canon
There is no counter ECM conspirancy running here.

The 2N was a SLDF royal guard only version of the Griffin.
So....*Its dead Jim*... :P
No realy this variant has been vanished since the fall of the Starleague or at least it wont be found in the ranks of house militarys or mercs.

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 23 July 2014 - 06:12 AM, said:

No realy this variant has been vanished since the fall of the Starleague or at least it wont be found in the ranks of house militarys or mercs.

Seeing how the Spider/Atlas/Cicada variants with ECM didn't have it in canon, the canon argument kind of doesn't work here.

#7 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

The spider 5D doesn't have ECM by canon, either.

#8 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

PGI has announced that ECM is fixed and they're happy with the way it works now.

Apparently, it's been balanced with various counters, such as the ECM hardpoint, which forced players to put the ECM in a certain specified component, like AMS.

The players have complained that ECM is unbalanced ever since it was first implemented, but apparently PGI has secret numbers that prove them all wrong. It should be fairly easy for them to show us some statistics which prove that the number of ECM mechs on any team has no impact on the chance of victory what so ever. But they've not done that, so far.

I know I'm just repeating what others have said already, but this is one of the biggest gameplay issues bothering me at the moment, so I'll just keep harping on about it.

#9 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:22 AM

Well, you can only have one medium mech with ECM. I think that is cannon or something.

#10 Scratx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

When the Hellbringer is released (you know it's only a matter of time) it's going to be time for...

Posted Image

#11 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

View PostVassago Rain, on 23 July 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

Because even though they don't say it, they know ECM is an OP game changer. That's why we got the ECM spider in january last year, and no further ECM mechs until the kit fox releases next month.

While avoiding admitting it and finally do something about it.

It looks like it is somebody's pet project and cannot be touched.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

View PostScratx, on 23 July 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:

When the Hellbringer is released (you know it's only a matter of time) it's going to be time for...

Posted Image

Or Piggy will simply choose not to ever give us the Hellbie, because of that reason.

#13 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

So....*Its dead Jim*... :)

The Trebuchet TBT-3C is an SLDF 'Mech too. Its "dead" and yet its in-game.

#14 Jack Corban

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPort Arthur

The funny thing is if they had added proper radar and passive radar in the game ECM wouldn't be so OP.

#15 SgtKinCaiD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

The real problem with the ECM is not the ECM in itself, it's the abuse of it : when one team have 1 ecm and the other 0, it's not a big deal. But when a team have 2/3 ECM and the other team have none or just one, havoc ensue.

#16 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

If you want a Medium mech with ECM, you can always choose the CDA-3M. Forty tons, a "medium" mech it makes. It would be nice to see a "real" medium mech with ECM though, at least 50 tons.

I don't know the BT lore at all. I would have to research, to find something, if anything, we could have in this time line with ECM in a medium chassis. Maybe someone else can chime in with a suggestion.

Jody

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

View PostSgtKinCaiD, on 23 July 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

The real problem with the ECM is not the ECM in itself, it's the abuse of it : when one team have 1 ecm and the other 0, it's not a big deal. But when a team have 2/3 ECM and the other team have none or just one, havoc ensue.

That would be like saying "Oh hey the 2 PPC + 2 [U]AC/5 Dragon Slayers are totally balanced if your team only has one of them" or something to that effect. That is a fairly silly line of logic.

The imbalance lies within the equipment itself (the disease). Teams spamming ECM is simply a symptom of the imbalance/disease.

#18 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 23 July 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

If you want a Medium mech with ECM, you can always choose the CDA-3M. Forty tons, a "medium" mech it makes. It would be nice to see a "real" medium mech with ECM though, at least 50 tons.

I don't know the BT lore at all. I would have to research, to find something, if anything, we could have in this time line with ECM in a medium chassis. Maybe someone else can chime in with a suggestion.

Jody

In canon lore? The Raven 3L should be the only IS 'mech with ECM. Cicada's didn't have it. (Neither did any of the other IS ECM 'mechs we have right now). PGI is basically making up which 'mechs can have ECM.

#19 3rdworld

• 3,562 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 23 July 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

The Trebuchet TBT-3C is an SLDF 'Mech too. Its "dead" and yet its in-game.

They will put SLDF versions in the game, but not Royal Versions. Because most are just flat upgrades to the original chassis.

Highlander 732b
Shadow Hawk 2Hb
Battlemaster 1Gb
Kintaro 19b
Locust 1Vb
Stalker 3Fb (has ecm)
Thunderbolt 5Sb
Wolverine 7H

http://www.sarna.net...yal_BattleMechs

Edited by 3rdworld, 23 July 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#20 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:51 AM

Since when has PGI followed Canon when it comes to ECM?

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 23 July 2014 - 06:28 AM, said:

Jody

I already have the CDA3m

My main issue with the Griffin 3m is simply there are only 3 variants of the Griffin so Im forced to buy it. Unlike the Griffin, the Shawks have other options for mastering the mech. I know this is a common compliant with 3 variant mechs but there are better options out there for Griffins. Hell why couldnt they have given us the 5m with low armor but we get that ballistics hardpoint!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users